Delisted 36. Blake Schlensog (2019-2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Really dont see why we bothered here, rawer than an undercooked steak and we are stacked for talls.
Because almost all of our talls are hail-Mary types.

Buzza is a very raw Queensland rugby convert coming from a long way back.
Kreuger is an early-40s pick who hasn't played a game and missed out in his draft year.
Ratugolea has the ability, but also has a broken ankle.

The rest of them are all the wrong side of 26 - in particular, Hawkins isn't getting any younger and there's no two obvious tall forwards to replace him. SavRat is the clear standout, but who on earth should partner him, I have no idea. We also need to think a little longer-term about Henderson and Blitz, too.

Kreuger is an early-40s pick who hasn't played a game and missed out in his draft year.

The rest of them are all the wrong side of 26 - in particular, Hawkins isn't getting any younger and there's no two obvious tall forwards to replace him. SavRat is the clear standout, but who on earth should partner him, I have no idea. We also need to think a little longer-term about Henderson and Blitz, too.
From someone who has watched a fair bit of Falcons footy I'd have Buzza and Kreuger ahead of Schlensog by the length of Flemington.

From someone who has watched a fair bit of Falcons footy I'd have Buzza and Kreuger ahead of Schlensog by the length of Flemington.
You and everyone else too, I suspect. Wells has effectively said as much in his post-draft interviews about the kid - that he is raw as a fruit salad and coming from a long way back. However, his rate of improvement has seen him get the nod.

It's a Category B rookie slot that we give up - so, no cost to us, basically. Given that the draft was so midfielder-heavy, it seems reasonable that there's limited potential left in there anyway.

Sav has been back running for a while now.

He at least had an aerobic capacity, this guy moves like a deer in headlights lol.
Did Blake happen to jump in front of you at Town and Country or similar? You are very down on a kid that sits outside of the list who didn't cost us anything to pick up.

Why the negativity towards him? Who would have you liked to see us pick up with the Cat B pick we used on Blake?

Did Blake happen to jump in front of you at Town and Country or similar? You are very down on a kid that sits outside of the list who didn't cost us anything to pick up.

Why the negativity towards him? Who would have you liked to see us pick up with the Cat B pick we used on Blake?
I dont have anything against the kid personally it just doesnt make alot of sense to me, had guys like Noah Gown and Connor Idun on the board during the draft in the 60's but instead we opt for a guy that no other club rated as good enough, he's played TAC Footy for 2 years now so hes hardly an unproven commodity like other Category B's would have rathered we go to the US and punt on a guy being the next Mason Cox if that's the path we had to take.

I dont have anything against the kid personally it just doesnt make alot of sense to me, had guys like Noah Gown and Connor Idun on the board during the draft in the 60's but instead we opt for a guy that no other club rated as good enough, he's played TAC Footy for 2 years now so hes hardly an unproven commodity like other Category B's would have rathered we go to the US and punt on a guy being the next Mason Cox if that's the path we had to take.

Who cares what was on the board in the 60s? We didn't rate Sog in that range, and didn't pick him then either.

Other clubs may well have Cat B rookied him if given the chance. Ultimately it's a free hit and not worth getting mad over. I'm sure there's something to like in the first junior ruck we've drafted in quite some time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buzza played League/NRL not Rugby.

Who from the Kittens do you see making the Forward line in the future?

Over looking Gown was a mystery to me, he was the starring TAC key fwd week by week.
The day Mackie takes over can't come soon enough.

I don't think you can really call Kreuger a hail Mary. He might've been overlooked in his draft year, but he has some solid runs on the board at SANFL senior level. Buzza yes, Schlensog yes, but Esava (who played in the all stars game as a junior) and Kreuger I don't think are in the same category.

Also, do you put medium-talls in that category too? Blokes like Jarvis, Henry and Kolodjashnij can all play tall and they're all 23 or under.

I don't think you can really call Kreuger a hail Mary. He might've been overlooked in his draft year, but he has some solid runs on the board at SANFL senior level
Not quite a "hail Mary", but certainly a long shot. Generally, almost all genuinely good tall forwards are taken in the first round, and certainly not in the 40s. Tom McDonald and Ben Brown are the exception; Franklin, Hawkins (who would have gone top-5 were it not for f/s), Riewoldt, Hogan and Kennedy are the rule.

Also, do you put medium-talls in that category too? Blokes like Jarvis, Henry and Kolodjashnij can all play tall and they're all 23 or under.
No, I don't - they are a different type of player to tall forwards, value is easier to find deeper in the draft and you can't build a forward line around them in the same way.

Dont think Mackie has the knowledge to ever take over, hes a good right hand man but Selwood is the obvious heir apparent for mine.
Based on what?

Not quite a "hail Mary", but certainly a long shot. Generally, almost all genuinely good tall forwards are taken in the first round, and certainly not in the 40s. Tom McDonald and Ben Brown are the exception; Franklin, Hawkins (who would have gone top-5 were it not for f/s), Riewoldt, Hogan and Kennedy are the rule.

No, I don't - they are a different type of player to tall forwards, value is easier to find deeper in the draft and you can't build a forward line around them in the same way.

I’m not buying the “tall forwards are only found early in the draft” shtick.

Outside of Brown and McDonald, you have Darling, Jenkins, Membrey, and Waite who were all later picks.

That’s six current key forwards I’ve listed from 2mins scrolling through the goal kicker’s leaderboard for last season.

I’m not buying the “tall forwards are only found early in the draft” shtick.

Outside of Brown and McDonald, you have Darling, Jenkins, Membrey, and Waite who were all later picks.
That’s six current key forwards I’ve listed from 2mins scrolling through the goal kicker’s leaderboard for last season.

Membrey's not a KPF he's a third tall (and that type routinely slides in drafts) Jenkins was alternative talent (basketballer in townsville then ess rookie) Darling slid due to well known off field stuff Waite was FS Brown mature age and McDonald drafted as KPD.

Exclude FS and access schemes mature age players and the list of quality full size KPF from u18s drafted outside R1 is really small. If they come through the u18 pathways and are quality KPF they generally go top 10 and the same can't be said to the same degree for other player types.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back