Recruiting Draft Watch - Jones, Bryan, Johnson, Cahill, Hibberd in

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

View attachment 588718

Check out our midfield for the 2011 Elimination final.

Watson
Stanton
Hocking
Zaka
Howlett
19 yr old Heppell

Remember we held Judd pretty well but Marc Murphy tore us apart that day. The more I look at that team the more I realise we overachieved that year.
We had a s**t load of injuries going into that game. Probably not a true reflection of where we were at in 2011.

**** me.
We've brought in:
2018 Shiel
2017 Smith
2016 McGrath, Begley
2015 Parish
2014 Langford
2013 Merrett

Looks like a continual stream of quality midfield talent walking through the doors to me.

And the one big guy in that list was drafted on the back of his forward skill set. The rest are mosquitoes in comparison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont think that there is any way to spin the drafting this year that doesn't return at the club having a lot of confidence in its (inside) midfield options.

It wasn't until I went through both a best 22 and a VFL side in detail that speed was identified as the area that needed most attention. Best 22 is good but it falls away.

The difficulty i think we have is that it's not obvious who the inside mids are. We dont know what is being planned with the likes of Laverde, Redman, Ridley and Begley. Dodoro keeps drafting and then referring to these guys as mids but they dont see the game time.

Until we see otherwise it's hard not to conclude that we've got some of our most talented players pigeonholed in positions that will not necessarily see them selected in an AFL side.

We're then left with a pretty uninspiring group of potential midfielders in Clarke, Mutch, Mynott and even Guelfi. I'd include Parish in this group too as he wont be A grade. It's unfair on them as individuals because they don't have to be inspiring but Yoda_ 's point is probably that, as it stands on paper, we dont have enough high quality ball winning mids. The simple fact is that we dont.

Shiel would be the only player who would match it with the 4-5 options that Pies, GWS and Melbourne have in terms of pure ball winning capability. That's using the combination of nous and raw strength to win the contested ball.

The Home and Away season says that it doesn't necessarily matter as our mids and team have other strengths (especially when we build on the footy played in the second half of 2018).

Whether it stands up in finals remains to be seen. I think it is more likely than not that with run and the numbers its brings, we're good enough.

Bringing it back to the first point, the only way to develop the players we believe in is to give them game time. We're not getting our hands on Wards, Brayshaws and Coniglios from pick 38. If we've got unrefined products who have ability we're just as likely to get what we need by developing them which means VFL game time. That means being able to fit a team together and the latest recruits do balance out the list, almost perfectly.

It's obvious when were dealing with ruckman, for example. It's not as obvious with mids when there are heaps of different players rotated through position.

Last edited:
I dont think that there is any way to spin the drafting this year that doesn't return at the club having a lot of confidence in its (inside) midfield options.

It wasn't until I went through both a best 22 and a VFL side in detail that speed was identified as the area that needed most attention. Best 22 is good but it falls away.

The difficulty i think we have is that it's not obvious who they are. We dont know what is being planned with the likes of Laverde, Redman, Ridley and Begley. Dodoro keeps drafting and then referring to these guys as miss but they dont see the time.

Until we see otherwise it's hard not to conclude that we've got some of our most talented players pigeonholed in positions that will not necessarily see them selected in an AFL side.

We're then left with a pretty uninspiring group of potential midfielders in Clarke, Mutch, Mynott and even Guelfi. I'd include Parish in this group too. He went be A grade. It's unfair on them as individuals because they don't have to be inspiring but Yoda_ 's point is probably that, as it stands on paper, we dont have enough high quality ball winning mids. The simple fact is that we dont.

Shiel would be the only player who would match it with the 4-5 options that Pies, GWS and Melbourne have in terms of pure ball winning capability. That's using the combination of nous and raw strength to win the ball.

The Home and Away season says that it doesn't necessarily matter as our mids and team have other strengths (especially when we build on the footy played in the second half of 2018).

Whether that's stands up in finals remains to be seen. I think it is more likely than not that with run and the numbers its brings, we're good enough.

Bringing it back to the first point, the only way to develop the players we believe in is to give them time. We're not getting our hands on Wards, Brayshaws and Coniglios from pick 38. If we've got unrefined products whi have ability we just as likely to get what we need by developing them which means VFL game time. That means being able to fit a team together and the recruits do balance out the list, almost perfectly.

Seeing what Baguley did for us this year has me going all in on Laverde and Begley playing in the midfield in the VFL full time and maybe even Redman and Ridley should be getting the bulk of their time there. Now these are players that should be pushing for a senior spot and for some are best 22 but if they arent playing senior football they are rotating in the midfield in the VFL.

Having Ham, Gown, Mosquito and Jok playing VFL allows those types playing on the flanks in the VFL this year to progress further with more prominent roles this year.

Seeing what Baguley did for us this year has me going all in on Laverde and Begley playing in the midfield in the VFL full time and maybe even Redman and Ridley should be getting the bulk of their time there. Now these are players that should be pushing for a senior spot and for some are best 22 but if they arent playing senior football they are rotating in the midfield in the VFL.

Having Ham, Gown, Mosquito and Jok playing VFL allows those types playing on the flanks in the VFL this year to progress further with more prominent roles this year.

Yes. I hope so.

The difficulty i think we have is that it's not obvious who the inside mids are. We dont know what is being planned with the likes of Laverde, Redman, Ridley and Begley. Dodoro keeps drafting and then referring to these guys as mids but they dont see the game time.

We're then left with a pretty uninspiring group of potential midfielders in Clarke, Mutch, Mynott and even Guelfi. I'd include Parish in this group too as he wont be A grade. It's unfair on them as individuals because they don't have to be inspiring but Yoda_ 's point is probably that, as it stands on paper, we dont have enough high quality ball winning mids. The simple fact is that we dont.

Shiel would be the only player who would match it with the 4-5 options that Pies, GWS and Melbourne have in terms of pure ball winning capability. That's using the combination of nous and raw strength to win the contested ball.

Whether it stands up in finals remains to be seen. I think it is more likely than not that with run and the numbers its brings, we're good enough.

Bringing it back to the first point, the only way to develop the players we believe in is to give them game time. We're not getting our hands on Wards, Brayshaws and Coniglios from pick 38. If we've got unrefined products who have ability we're just as likely to get what we need by developing them which means VFL game time. That means being able to fit a team together and the latest recruits do balance out the list, almost perfectly.

It's obvious when were dealing with ruckman, for example. It's not as obvious with mids when there are heaps of different players rotated through position.

Makes you wonder if there is a disconnect between the coaching group list management.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My spies tell me Jok is tearing it up on the training track & could be a Smokey for round one.
With his pace endurance skills and size he could add something across half back or the wing with occasional cameos in the ruck when required.
Don’t be fooled by his height, the guy has a massive leap and is great in a contest, plus his kicking is spot on.

With Redman doing his ankle and Gleeson unlikely to be fit by round one, Begley may not get the run in the legs - who knows maybe there’s a spot for Jok.

I am hoping that he can play on the wing & half back. He has serious speed ( think Saad) and can run all day. Rare commodities for someone of his size indeed.

Rumour was there was competition between the Saints & Pies on who would get him. We snatched him away from both.
I wonder if he could become a Barlow or Tim Kelly type that becomes a star in his first year.

Great recruiting Dodo. I am backing this kid to be a beauty

My spies tell me Jok is tearing it up on the training track & could be a Smokey for round one.
With his pace endurance skills and size he could add something across half back or the wing with occasional cameos in the ruck when required.
Don’t be fooled by his height, the guy has a massive leap and is great in a contest, plus his kicking is spot on.

With Redman doing his ankle and Gleeson unlikely to be fit by round one, Begley may not get the run in the legs - who knows maybe there’s a spot for Jok.

I am hoping that he can play on the wing & half back. He has serious speed ( think Saad) and can run all day. Rare commodities for someone of his size indeed.

Rumour was there was competition between the Saints & Pies on who would get him. We snatched him away from both.
I wonder if he could become a Barlow or Tim Kelly type that becomes a star in his first year.

Great recruiting Dodo. I am backing this kid to be a beauty

Saints selected a bloke Callum Wilkie instead of Jok - so although he won a time trail he was actually overlooked by them... so this point is incorrect.

Comfortably the best midfield group we’ve had in 18 years. Proved that in the performance from round 8 last year where we sacked stupid neeld and played our players in position.

That said, we were lacking an A grader in there and we got that with Shiel. As far as the draft is concerned, simple, Shiel or an 18 yo big bodied midfielder (I hate that term)

Pretty happy with how it’s played out

Still haven’t seen any pics of the new recruits training? Are they training?
On a BTV video, a coach (maybe even Woosha) advised that they were working with the VFL squad and possibly training with the mmain group a week before the Xmas break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back