Should a Victorian team move part time to Gold Coast?

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree in principle with OP. Simply more Victorian clubs should play more often in Qld and NSW to help make expansion work. Matches could be played in Newcastle (both Swans + GWS involved) and Sunshine Coast (likewise Brisbane and Gold Coast) against Victorian Clubs.

Don’t disagree. Spare license in Tasmania could upset Hawks and Kangaroos as they are trying to set up shop and could be an AFL-Bikie style war in Tassie. New team could be seen as moving into Hawks/North terf. Hawks have been in Tassie for over 10 years.

Do think right now Lions need merger. Already merged before. Try mixing the history and culture of Fitzroy/Bears/Suns together. AFL need find a solution to Gold Coast Suns and think Vic team playing part time could help, scrapping the Suns team. It’s worked in Tassie, can in Gold Coast.

This worked for Lions. Increase salary cap, make Gold Coast a financial destination.

So many ideas, so little thought. Have you considered a career in politics? Alternatively, perhaps once Gil’s left the post you could slot in?

I have a better idea, Carlton can merge with Gold Coast. Gold Coast Blues has a nice ring to it, hey?

Similarly, I think the Swans should dissolve and the Giants can take over their facilities and fans, and ditch everything else. You seem to like the idea of killing clubs, so why don't you start at home?

All teams that finish in the bottom two twice in a row AND experience a drop in crowds should be forced into a merger with the geographically nearest rival team, provided they also have a losing record. At the end of the process, which should take 25-30 years, the one remaining team shall be declared the winner.

So many ideas, so little thought. Have you considered a career in politics? Alternatively, perhaps once Gil’s left the post you could slot in?

Why shove down teams down Gold Coast public’s mouth when they are not interested? They don’t care about the Titans and Suns.

They need to do a total reboot if they want any success. The AFL needs to intervene and assist with the replacement of key people up there, as they did to revitalize Brisbane, and the club needs to be re-branded entirely, new jumper, new colors & new mascot.

Why shove down teams down Gold Coast public’s mouth when they are not interested? They don’t care about the Titans and Suns.

They don't care about North, Carlton or the Saints either. Time to reduce AFL to 16 teams.

Carlton to merge with GoCo. Saints and North to merge and move to Tas.

They don't care about North, Carlton or the Saints either. Time to reduce AFL to 16 teams.

Carlton to merge with GoCo. Saints and North to merge and move to Tas.
I think Carlton should take full advantage of their Academy program & move to NSW & merge with GWS.
It will consolidate their recruiting program where they seem to be infatuated with talent from GWS.

Gold Coast may be too risky on second thoughts.

If Tassie get their own team think one team
Will be vurnerable. I think is Tassie team does get established it will be in Hobart, so Kangaroos will be prone to leaving. Hawks will be relitevely safe as their base is in another city.

I can't see that working. A Tasmanian team is behind the 8 ball from a revenue, sponsorship and support point of view already. No party involved with a hypothetical team (AFL, Tasmania, Government nor indeed the other clubs who would have to finance a compromised team) would want the competition for support. This team would already have competition from Tasmanians that support current teams in the short to medium term.

I can't see that working. A Tasmanian team is behind the 8 ball from a revenue, sponsorship and support point of view already. No party involved with a hypothetical team (AFL, Tasmania, Government nor indeed the other clubs who would have to finance a compromised team) would want the competition for support. This team would already have competition from Tasmanians that support current teams in the short to medium term.
North and South will never see eye to eye on Tassie, it would be a disaster.

Many see it so. To be blunt, if that's the case they will never have a full time team. It is completely unsustainable under the current funding and revenue paradigm if it can't even compete for the support of the 500k Tasmanians without fracturing it before starting.

So it makes sense to merge and transfer two poor Melbourne clubs . They can split games between Lonnie and Hobart.

The Tassie Blue Roos could be successful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So it makes sense to merge and transfer two poor Melbourne clubs . They can split games between Lonnie and Hobart.

The Tassie Blue Roos could be successful.
The AFL would lose far more in membership revenue and sponsorship dollars (plus TV rights) than they could hope to gain with Tassie.
That proposal makes no sense.

I think Carlton should take full advantage of their Academy program & move to NSW & merge with GWS.
It will consolidate their recruiting program where they seem to be infatuated with talent from GWS.

Gold Coast may be too risky on second thoughts.
Be careful what you what you wish for. It would create a super club with strong support in Melbourne and nationally. In the short term merging the lists with the largely mature takent on our list and the young takent in the Blues list we'd be dominant.
The Swans would disappear into obscurity in our wake.

It'll never happen of course. Carlton are too big and strong a club to contemplate giving up even a part of their identity, and our future is mapped out on a different path.

The AFL would lose far more in membership revenue and sponsorship dollars (plus TV rights) than they could hope to gain with Tassie.
That proposal makes no sense.

Axe the hated Sunday twilight game. The Blues Roos would be supported by most Tozzies .Current Blue and North fans would sign up for a minimum of one Geelong and five Melbourne based games.

Axe the hated Sunday twilight game. The Blues Roos would be supported by most Tozzies .Current Blue and North fans would sign up for a minimum of one Geelong and five Melbourne based games.

I remember the good old days when I'd hit the piss well before lunchtime too.

They need to do a total reboot if they want any success. The AFL needs to intervene and assist with the replacement of key people up there, as they did to revitalize Brisbane, and the club needs to be re-branded entirely, new jumper, new colors & new mascot.

What would rebranding help?

The difference being?
Southport a club based on the gold coast since 1961, has a strong culture and identity, has produced talented players for the AFL, financially very stable. Clubs made numerous bids to get into the AFL since 1996.

Southport a club based on the gold coast since 1961, has a strong culture and identity, has produced talented players for the AFL, financially very stable. Clubs made numerous bids to get into the AFL since 1996.
That's like saying promoting the Rams or Goannas in Western Sydney would of been a better idea.

Dont think it would of been.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back