List Mgmt. 2018 Draft Day Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yea, the Vandermeer pick is an interesting one.

Similarly to last year, you can tell Bevo had a big say in our picks this year. After the obvious Smith and West picks, EVERY single pick we made was an overage player (We didn't pick Buku, he was a Cat A freebie).

Vandermeer is 19 (turns 20 in 3 months)
Cavarra is 22
Hayes is 23
Young is 19 (turns 20 in 4 months)
Sweet is 20

Interestingly this was the reason why Dalrymple left us last year, because he didn't like Bevo overruling his choices to instead take older 'win now' players.

The contrast in philosophy's is obvious as Dalrymple again played the futures market this year at Sydney, taking a 17yr old and 5 18yr olds.

7 picks after we took Vandermeer Dalrymple took Justin Mcinerney who is a very similar pacy outside hbf/wing. But Mcinerney is a late bloomer who's almost 2 years younger, taller (187cm vs 179cm), quicker (3.01 vs 3.02 20m sprint) and has better disposal efficiency (75% vs 73.5%).

Then at pick 51 Dal took another similar player in Zac Foot. Who's almost identical in height, position and playstyle but is just 17 years old. His vision is pretty damn exciting tbh. Has genuine explosive pace and x-factor.

So it will be interesting to see how those boys do in comparison to Vandermeer.
I'd also say that our draft this year is surely a response to last years youthful sides being put out every week. Couple that with losing more experience than we gained and I think we were concerned we might be looking at another year where we were sending boys against men. Bringing in over-agers and VFL players ensures that we have depth with more toughness who are closer to standing up to the rigours of AFL footy. Agree that it is a short term approach but that might not be such a bad thing given where we are currently at. I wouldn't want to see the trend continue but I think it is pretty savvy for the coming few years.

I'd also say that our draft this year is surely a response to last years youthful sides being put out every week. Couple that with losing more experience than we gained and I think we were concerned we might be looking at another year where we were sending boys against men. Bringing in over-agers and VFL players ensures that we have depth with more toughness who are closer to standing up to the rigours of AFL footy. Agree that it is a short term approach but that might not be such a bad thing given where we are currently at. I wouldn't want to see the trend continue but I think it is pretty savvy for the coming few years.
Cavarra is only 22 or 23, so could easily have 10yrs left in him, Duryea will still only be 27 when the ball is bounced for round one. Lloyd is the only real short term pick up at 28, 29 by round one imo.

The contrast in philosophy's is obvious as Dalrymple again played the futures market this year at Sydney, taking a 17yr old and 5 18yr olds.

7 picks after we took Vandermeer Dalrymple took Justin Mcinerney who is a very similar pacy outside hbf/wing. But Mcinerney is a late bloomer who's almost 2 years younger, taller (187cm vs 179cm), quicker (3.01 vs 3.02 20m sprint) and has better disposal efficiency (75% vs 73.5%).

Then at pick 51 Dal took another similar player in Zac Foot. Who's almost identical in height, position and playstyle but is just 17 years old. His vision is pretty damn exciting tbh. Has genuine explosive pace and x-factor.

So it will be interesting to see how those boys do in comparison to Vandermeer.

Will be fascinating to compare in four or so years - can you bookmark your post and bring it up Then ?

Yea, the Vandermeer pick is an interesting one.

Similarly to last year, you can tell Bevo had a big say in our picks this year. After the obvious Smith and West picks, EVERY single pick we made was an overage player (We didn't pick Buku, he was a Cat A freebie).

In drafting a Rhylee and a Jordon it's obvious correct spelling is not high on Bevo's rankings.

I have no problem with power not trading down from 7. And I have no problem with us taking smith (I have no idea about these kids).

But what I do know is that paying Luke Dahlhaus compensation for West is atrocious. It can’t happen.

I like powers overall philosophy on our list. He let dal go. He went for Wingard. He hasn’t overpaid wallis. And I was cool with some cheap experience in LLoyd and to a lesser extend duryea.

But as it stands, we’ve lacked confidence, experience and aggression to pull the trigger on the right trade. Hope he grows some balls in the next 12 months.
Have to give him a little leeway in his first bite of the cherry! If he went balls out and stuffed it completely, there would be Pitchforks everywhere with Powers name on them.
Give him a year or two to get on top of it, and I think he may be more willing to pull the trigger. He will have a better feel for list needs by then as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back