The Round 1 2019 team thread...

Remove this Banner Ad

More midfield rotations with the additions of Scully, Wingard and Minchington which could allow Burgoyne, Shiels and O’Meara to spend more time up forward.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Cousins becomes a best 22 player by the end of next year.

More midfield rotations with the additions of Scully, Wingard and Minchington which could allow Burgoyne, Shiels and O’Meara to spend more time up forward.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Cousins becomes a best 22 player by the end of next year.

Not sure I want Shiels up forward. His kicking is very hot and miss. I also think Minch is work in progress, so not sure he is automatic best 22...

FB: Hardwick Frawley Stratton
HB: Glass Sicily Scrimshaw
C: Smith O’Meara Scully
HF: Bruest Gunston Impey
FF: Puopolo Roughead Wingard

FOLL : McEvoy, Shiels, Mitchell

Inter: Burgoyne, Worpel, Ceglar, Morrison

emerg: Howe, Minchington, Henderson, Miles

Glass is probably the only one that I'm being quite hopeful of, due to Birchall injury concerns.
Scrimshaw I'm taking a punt on.
Puopolo/Minchington will be another to watch.
Expecting Scully to line up Round 1 at this stage, until otherwise confirmed.

Howe, Henderson, Pittonet, Brand, Miles, Schoenmakers, Nash playing at Box Hill is good depth.
I would have Howe in front of Scrimshaw, 50 games under his belt played both finals I think he is about to go up a level or 2.

B: Stratton Frawley Hardwick
HB: Birchall Brand Sicily
C: Smith Mitchell Scully
HF: Burgoyne Gunston Wingard
F: Bruest Roughead Puopolo
R: McEvoy O’Meara Shiels

INT: Ceglar Worpel Impey Howe
EMG: Morrison Henderson Scrimshaw Nash Miles Moore Hanrahan

I would be. He doesn’t fit anywhere, and our core midfield is quite young. The additions of Wingard and Scully push Cousins further down the pecking order.

B: Hardwick Brand Stratton
HB: Sicily Frawley Birchall
HF: Puopolo Gunston Wingard
F: Bruest Roughead Impey
Foll: McEvoy O’Meara Shiels
Int: Henderson Morrison Burgoyne Worpel

Emg: Ceglar Nash Miles Howe

Scrimshaw, Mirra, Moore & Cousins close behind

I feel we have improved our list in the off-season, but so has Richmond, Collingwood, Melbourne and Essendon. Throw the Eagles in the mix and I think we are below these teams in terms of being a legitimate contender.

However, what I am hopeful of seeing is names not mentioned in many 'best 22's' like Lewis, Nash, Moore, Hanrahan and Jiath making the grade and taking our list into that mix.

Few other points;

Can Hardwick go through the middle?

I hope O'Brien get's a good crack at CHB to start the season.

I would be interested to look at it from a depth chart perspective.
After building a depth chart, I identified staring 18 (highlighted in blue) against a traditional 6-6-6 setup, then identified 4 bench players (highlighted red) -> 2 mids, 1 ruck and 1 defender.

So here's my spin:

KPD
Frawley
Brand

Mohr
Gunston
TOB
Schenmakers
Koschitzke

Back Pocket (small defender)
Hardwick
Stratton

Burgoyne - versatile.....back, forward or mid. Should get managed through the year (play 15 games) which will give others opportunities
Mirra
Miles
Glass
CJ
Poppy

Back Flank
Sicily
Birchall

Stratton
Burgoyne
Gunston
Schrimshaw
Jones
Greaves

Mids - Depth chart really shows how our midfield depth drops away considerably after Shiels. Desperately need to pinch Cogs as a FA next year.
TOM
JOM
Shiels

Wingard
Howe
Worpel
- can cover as a small forward
Burgoyne
Cousins
Harwick
Jones
Golds

Wing
Smith
Scully

Impey
Henderson
Morrison
Ross
Nash

Ruck
McEvoy
Ceglar
Pittonet
Lewis

KPF
Gunston
Roughy

Lewis - I am keen for Lewis to get 10+ games in the seniors this year. Perhaps as 2nd ruck to McEvoy, or if we can give Roughy a week off here and there.
Schoenmakers
Nash
McEvoy
Ceglar
Koschitzke

Forward Flank
Wingard
Morrison

Gunston
Impey
Burgoyne
Walker

Small Forward
Bruest
Poppy

CJ - i am hoping for big things from CJ this year and hoping he will jump above Poppy in the depth chart
Moore
Hanrahan

So what does this look like on paper:

B: Hardwick Frawley Stratton
HF: Wingard Gunston Morrison
F: Bruest Rough Poppy
Fol: McEvoy JOM Shiels
Bench: Ceglar, Burgoyne, Howe, Worpel
Emergency: Lewis, Impey, Cousins, Henderson, CJ........etc

I think the depth chart approach shows us that we really need to start transitioning some of our older players and giving the young guys opportunities.
Rough, Burgers and Poppy are the ones that come most readily to mind -> Lewis, CJ and Mirra/Miles/Glass need opportunities to show what they have and develop their game to take the next step.
Our midfield aslo lacks depth - we cop an injuries to 2 of JOM, TOM or Shiels and our midfield looks decidedly weak.
Hopefully we can pick up Cogs as a FA and maybe trade our first rounders for another quality (younger) mid next year.
I am hopeful also that Koschitske will get be able to stay fit and get some opportunities this year. Will take a bit of presure of our KPD rebuild if he can show something.

Last edited:
I feel we have improved our list in the off-season, but so has Richmond, Collingwood, Melbourne and Essendon. Throw the Eagles in the mix and I think we are below these teams in terms of being a legitimate contender.

However, what I am hopeful of seeing is names not mentioned in many 'best 22's' like Lewis, Nash, Moore, Hanrahan and Jiath making the grade and taking our list into that mix.

Few other points;

Can Hardwick go through the middle?

I hope O'Brien get's a good crack at CHB to start the season.

I hope not, he's been gifted 46 games thus far and simply doesn't have the drive, passion, belief and hunger to be a factor at AFL level.

I would be interested to look at it from a depth chart perspective.
After building a depth chart, I identified staring 18 (highlighted in blue) against a traditional 6-6-6 setup, then identified 4 bench players (highlighted red) -> 2 mids, 1 ruck and 1 defender.

So here's my spin:

KPD
Frawley
Brand

Mohr
Gunston
TOB
Schenmakers
Koschitzke

Back Pocket (small defender)
Hardwick
Stratton

Burgoyne - versatile.....back, forward or mid. Should get managed through the year (play 15 games) which will give others opportunities
Mirra
Miles
Glass
CJ
Poppy

Back Flank
Sicily
Birchall

Stratton
Burgoyne
Gunston
Schrimshaw
Jones
Greaves

Mids - Depth chart really shows how our midfield depth drops away considerably after Shiels. Desperately need to pinch Cogs as a FA next year.
TOM
JOM
Shiels

Wingard
Howe
Worpel
- can cover as a small forward
Burgoyne
Cousins
Harwick
Jones
Golds

Wing
Smith
Scully

Impey
Henderson
Morrison
Ross
Nash

Ruck
McEvoy
Ceglar
Pittonet
Lewis

KPF
Gunston
Roughy

Lewis - I am keen for Lewis to get 10+ games in the seniors this year. Perhaps as 2nd ruck to McEvoy, or if we can give Roughy a week off here and there.
Schoenmakers
Nash
McEvoy
Ceglar
Koschitzke

Forward Flank
Wingard
Morrison

Gunston
Impey
Burgoyne
Walker

Small Forward
Bruest
Poppy

CJ - i am hoping for big things from CJ this year and hoping he will jump above Poppy in the depth chart
Moore
Hanrahan

So what does this look like on paper:

B: Hardwick Frawley Stratton
HF: Wingard Gunston Morrison
F: Bruest Rough Poppy
Fol: McEvoy JOM Shiels
Bench: Ceglar, Burgoyne, Howe, Worpel
Emergency: Lewis, Impey, Cousins, Henderson, CJ........etc

I think the depth chart approach shows us that we really need to start transitioning some of our older players and giving the young guys opportunities.
Rough, Burgers and Poppy are the ones that come most readily to mind -> Lewis, CJ and Mirra/Miles/Glass need opportunities to show what they have and develop their game to take the next step.
Our midfield aslo lacks depth - we cop an injuries to 2 of JOM, TOM or Shiels and our midfield looks decidedly weak.
Hopefully we can pick up Cogs as a FA and maybe trade our first rounders for another quality (younger) mid next year.
I am hopeful also that Koschitske will get be able to stay fit and get some opportunities this year. Will take a bit of presure of our KPD rebuild if he can show something.

I can pretty much safely say that Impey will 100% be in our best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would be. He doesn’t fit anywhere, and our core midfield is quite young. The additions of Wingard and Scully push Cousins further down the pecking order.

Lanford, Lovell and O’Rourke are all gone which could open the door for another midfielder in the best 22. I’m not saying it’s going to happen but if Cousins can improve on some of his deficiencies then he could play plenty of games in 2019.

In the last two seasons Cousins has led Box Hill in disposals, contested possessions, clearances, tackles, inside 50s and goals per game amongst the midfielders. He even had 29 scoring shots last season from just 16 games.

He has missed a fair bit of footy due to shoulder injuries but has still put up some decent numbers. I wouldn’t write off his career just yet. He’s only 20 with plenty of upside.

Obviously the coaches like his progress hence elevating him to the senior list.

Agreed, but does not mean they see him as best 22 by the end of the year.

Has to have a huge pre-season to get into our best 25 or so...

B: Hardwick - Frawley- Impey
Sicily - Stratton - Birchall
M: Scully - Mitchell - Smith
R: Mcevoy - O’Meara - Shiels
F: Breust - Gunston - Burgoyne
Wingard - Roughead - Puopolo

Int. Chg: Worpel - Morrison - Howe - Ceglar

Looking at that we seem to have a very strong 22 and better than average depth with these following players to push for selection:
Henderson
Cousins
Brand
Minchington
Mohr
O’Brien
Scrimshaw
Schoenmakers
Mirra
Pittonet
Nash
Glass

Then some young untried prospects, with a bit of luck we can go Top 4 and then some. This is a good experienced list with some youngsters pushing for selection and a heap of players in mid career peak time!!

I feel like we will look at the 2019 team with a feeling that they were a more capable side than 2018 but I suspect we won't finish as high. Competition for spots incredibly tight. Thought the changes to the list in terms of who we moved on were spot on particularly the likes of Langers and Doc who have been terrific role players but of recent times holding us back.

I feel like we will look at the 2019 team with a feeling that they were a more capable side than 2018 but I suspect we won't finish as high. Competition for spots incredibly tight. Thought the changes to the list in terms of who we moved on were spot on particularly the likes of Langers and Doc who have been terrific role players but of recent times holding us back.
Correct we could probably list 12 clubs best 22s and they would look more than capable of playing finals, it's going to be a very interesting season that's for sure.

Would hope we look after Burger this year and not play him in every game. Depth is better so good chance to balance his game time whilst putting time into up and comers.
Hahaha trying telling silk he is going to be rested. But i see where ure coming from we do need to manage him

Would hope we look after Burger this year and not play him in every game. Depth is better so good chance to balance his game time whilst putting time into up and comers.
I'm pretty sure I've heard him say in an interview in the last few years that he prefers the continuity of playing. Maybe he eventually reaches a point where he'd prefer the week off, who knows? I think after playing for so long he's got the whole listening to his body thing locked down. With the midfield rejuvenation we've had the past two off seasons I reckon we'll probably see him return to more utility roles on the half back lines. An absolute luxury.

Highly unlikely the coaches will pick and choose when or if Burger takes a break - his body usually injures itself once or twice a year anyway.. that'll be his time off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back