Opinion AFL State of Origin should it return?

State of Origin, should it return?

• yes

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • no

Votes: 15 50.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL seem to be very keen to grow and expand the game with gimmick games like AFL X but I feel like they are still not listening to the fans.

State of Origin was a big part of our game and it was something that fans and players looked forward to each year. To see all the great players of our game playing together in the same teams was an exciting experience and I still think there is a place for State of Origin in modern football.

The biggest concern people no doubt have is "what if player X gets injured while playing" and while I agree and it is a very real issue, they have the same chances of getting injured in AFL X, JLT or intra club matches to be honest, so it's really no different.

Then there is the 'when would you play it' question which is valid. For me it either happens before the season starts or a week or 2 after the Grand Final.

Even if it started out as Victoria vs Allies to get a feel for the support behind it and then look to expand and include other states.

How good would it be to see Cotchin vs Jack Graham in the middle or Jack Riewoldt vs Alex Rance.

what is everyones thoughts on State of Origin, should it come back?

Just the thought of Andy Collins tackling teammate Tony Hall and doing his knee in SOS still makes me shudder when i think of Rance say doing that to Dusty etc. I reckon we have moved past it.

I'd love to see state of origin back. I still enjoy watching the old state of origin games so seeing modern superstars from across the comp playing together would be awesome.

Just the thought of Andy Collins tackling teammate Tony Hall and doing his knee in SOS still makes me shudder when i think of Rance say doing that to Dusty etc. I reckon we have moved past it.

But that injury could just as easily happen in a training drill or a intra club match during the week couldn't it? How is that any different?

Can’t see it ever being cared about the way it is in rugby. I’d love to see two (basically) all star teams take each other on but even if you do get the best talent out there, the intensity will be minimal.

I don't think or expect it would ever get to the heights of the NRL, but i also wouldn't want it to head down the NBA All Star road where there is no defending. It would need to mean something and be worth something (somehow) so we get players who are trying.

parochial toss fest, leave it buried. build up the under 18 champs if you need state v state competition.

extend the all Australian 40 squad to 44 and have a genuine all star game if you want the best on the best

Don't mind the AA suggestion.

What about if we did a state v state carnival but only players under the age of 24 could play, so it showcases the young talent across the league?

And maybe each state has to play a minimum of 3 TAC players so there is some incentive and reward there for those players to be showcased as well?

Bring it back and play in the preseason. Allow clubs a one or two player veto.

Make it 4 teams, round robin. Sa vic wa and allies. Play the final in Perth or Adelaide to stop the sooks crying.

The only argument against it is injury, well that happens in the ansett cup too.

But that injury could just as easily happen in a training drill or a intra club match during the week couldn't it? How is that any different?

I don't think or expect it would ever get to the heights of the NRL, but i also wouldn't want it to head down the NBA All Star road where there is no defending. It would need to mean something and be worth something (somehow) so we get players who are trying.

Don't mind the AA suggestion.

What about if we did a state v state carnival but only players under the age of 24 could play, so it showcases the young talent across the league?

And maybe each state has to play a minimum of 3 TAC players so there is some incentive and reward there for those players to be showcased as well?

You raise a fair point, but any less chance of risk is still less chance of risk.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

It won't for a long time, if it does.

The AFL is focused on making $$$. AFLX, a faster, venue friendly alternative, is what they're focusing on so more young people play the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

when it WASN'T a national comp...bloody oath I loved watching it....the Flea would be my all time fav State of Origin legend.....for interstaters, Gary McIntosh, tough as nails...players like him you don't get to see except with Origin, they play with real 'aggression' at the highest level....

Now you see interstate players every week....the anticipation / tribalism is gone.

Where does it fit is the biggest question IMO.
Given the demands of the modern game, the only workable solution IMO would be to reduce the H & A season to 17 games (also increasing fixture fairness) and play the SOO over a four week break in the middle of the H & A season.
(SOS decider in the fourth week between the two top teams.)
The clubs would probably never agree (injuries, loss of income/exposure/momentum etc.)
But its not hard to imagine the SOO decider becoming a huge event.

when it WASN'T a national comp...bloody oath I loved watching it....the Flea would be my all time fav State of Origin legend.....for interstaters, Gary McIntosh, tough as nails...players like him you don't get to see except with Origin, they play with real 'aggression' at the highest level....

Now you see interstate players every week....the anticipation / tribalism is gone.

I still think there would be a huge element of not wanting to let your state down.

Remember these guys are all extremely competitive by nature, there will be plenty on the line as far as they would be concerned which would make for great viewing I reckon.

Where does it fit is the biggest question IMO.
Given the demands of the modern game, the only workable solution IMO would be to reduce the H & A season to 17 games (also increasing fixture fairness) and play the SOO over a four week break in the middle of the H & A season.
(SOS decider in the fourth week between the two top teams.)
The clubs would probably never agree (injuries, loss of income/exposure/momentum etc.)
But its not hard to imagine the SOO decider becoming a huge event.

I might be wrong but I could have sworn when questioned about this the players were all for it on the basis the timing works as you suggested.

I guess the sticking point would be the clubs dont really care what the players want in that aspect, clubs would rather them healthy.

Some of the best Aussie Rules matches of all time were S.O.O,especially at Football Park.

Dale ‘flea’ Weightman absolutely dominated.

The importance clubs put on players these days may never see it happen.

But they were magnificent spectacles.

Lmao... do we have a new mod?

If you're referring to your post I removed you should have known it had to be removed.

As innocent as it probably was its still seen as offensive by some.

If you want to discuss it further feel free to PM me :)

Back