Not Worth A Thread - Random Bulldog Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

OK just checked. The coldest I've experienced was a couple of years ago, patrolling Port Pirie airfield at 3AM and it was -3°C :eek:
The coldest for me was the day I was flying from Chicago to Orlando when I went home one Christmas. I think it was Jan. 10 1982, the coldest day that winter and was -30C. When I got down to Orlando the temperatures were about 5C almost every day. Disneyworld was empty. After a few days I flew to Ft Myers for a couple of days then Ft Lauderdale for a few days.

I actually started my journey back to Melbourne from there. Ft Lauderdale to Miami to Chicago(my parents met me at the airport to give me my second suitcase and to say goodbye), then to Minneapolis/St Paul to Los Angeles to Honolulu to Sydney and finally to Melbourne, all with no stopovers except for a couple of hours at each airport.

My worst trip was going home one Christmas. The plane getting into Melbourne was late and I was told I would miss all my connections. So... I flew Melbourne to Auckland to Nandi(Fiji) to Honolulu to Los Angeles to Houston and finally to Chicago. The trip took over 40 hours. When I left Melbourne it was about 30C. When I got to Chicago it was about -10C. That kind of a trip would kill me today! :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched the 94 qualifying final last night. I have vivid memories of the game as my uncle took me to it. I was 11 at the time. What struck me was how dreadful the skill level was, yet it was so entertaining. A couple of players Stood out for me as I watched.
Southern was superb on defense, a hell of a lot of courage dropping in to the hole in front of Ablett, his skills were also a cut above. Keenan Reynolds was a revelation, vice like grip in the marking contest. He was such a strong player up front and down back, then left to go to North and fell off a cliff.

Football was so different, risks were taken all over. Almost every contest was one on one. Ablett tore up Kretiuk with strength and pace but I’m not sure even a man of GODs abilities would kick 8-10 goals today, there just isn’t the space.
Bairstow and Barnes absolutely destroyed us in the middle. Axe was allergic to the Geelong captain it seemed.
West (in 14, Ryhlee looks like a dead set clone) Johnson and Croft got a bit of it but turned it over a lot, all very very young.

The one bloke that stood hands and shoulders above any other in the red whit and blue was Chris Grant. His movement, vision and skills were just brilliant. I look at the Bont now and I think it is a close call who the best dog I have seen is, but I think Chris still has the mantle, just. He was an incredible player all over the ground, and like the Bont, he was an absolute champion off field as well. What a privilege it has been to see these blokes play. I feel like my Incles who use to tell stories of Whitten and Templeton, must be getting old!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back