Should a Victorian team move part time to Gold Coast?

Remove this Banner Ad

Southport a club based on the gold coast since 1961, has a strong culture and identity, has produced talented players for the AFL, financially very stable. Clubs made numerous bids to get into the AFL since 1996.

The call has been made in the past that the AFL started the WCE & Adelaide as bringing in one or 2 WAFL or SANFL clubs would split their support away from a great many people who followed other clubs. Thus they wouldn't get full support in their communities.

So, do you think people on the GC would be different? Would they dump their local allegiances & follow a local club most people hate?

Also a business model based 100% on gambling, may not be the best model for a club trying to attract families & kids don't you think? Maybe the AFL thought that too?

That's like saying promoting the Rams or Goannas in Western Sydney would of been a better idea.

Dont think it would of been.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
They were considered by the AFL in 2006, they also tried to merge them with another Victorian team as a brand new gold coast entity.

The call has been made in the past that the AFL started the WCE & Adelaide as bringing in one or 2 WAFL or SANFL clubs would split their support away from a great many people who followed other clubs. Thus they wouldn't get full support in their communities.

So, do you think people on the GC would be different? Would they dump their local allegiances & follow a local club most people hate?

Also a business model based 100% on gambling, may not be the best model for a club trying to attract families & kids don't you think? Maybe the AFL thought that too?
Playing in the AFL would have open them up to a lot more sponsorship and corporate opportunities.

Southport a club based on the gold coast since 1961, has a strong culture and identity, has produced talented players for the AFL, financially very stable. Clubs made numerous bids to get into the AFL since 1996.

That’s not necessarily true. This case for example Carlton, StK, Bulldogs, Essendon are established teams while Gold Coast isn’t.

St George-Illawarra Dragons in NRL is a merged team combining St George Dragons & Illawarra Steelers. Has St George Dragons lost their identity? I don’t think they have, they just extended their name and lost 4 of their home games to Illawarra.

If the team that moves to play 4 games a year are called
Carlton-Gold Coast Blues or
St Kilda-Gold Coast Saints it
Essendon-Gold Coast Bombers
and keep their same logo/colours they won’t lose anything. With the trend in Tasmania, teams wouldn’t even need to extend their names. Kangaroos and Hawks don’t do it.

Right now doesn’t matter too much. Looks like Suns are here to stay a little longer. Do I think locals will get into the spirit? Based on what I’ve seen from the Titans, no. They don’t care.

Playing in the AFL would have open them up to a lot more sponsorship and corporate opportunities.

Really?

My point is that the current GC club is much more inclusive of the whole GC community than Southport ever could be. I cannot see how Southport could posssibly do any better, even as 'well' as the GC Suns have done to date.

The history of clubs on the GC is bleak.

I doubt that Southport would want to suffer the losses that all previous GC sports clubs have, for very long.

Given that, how would it look if the AFL were paying a gambling giant like Southport club to support their club that the Pokies venue was leveraging as an advertising platform for those pokies?

Kids & Families? I think not.

Clubs like Richmond are becoming too big in Melbourne and are stealing their supporters

Fargin hilarious!, righto North supporters try and resist the temptation to follow a "bigger" club and stop jumping ship to teams like Richmond - they don't want you!

C'mon North fans we know you're a new small club and apparently don't amount to much but please stay phat like you have for the last 90 odd years.

upload_2018-11-28_21-14-30.png

Wonder if would have been a better idea to promote Southport?

Actually perplexed if the idea wasn't floated originally by HQ to Southport, unless the Sharks knocked it back? I'd imagine if they went with south instead a complete new franchise this conversation wouldn't exist.

Roylion do you know if there was any proposal put forward to the sharks before the GC inception?

Really?

My point is that the current GC club is much more inclusive of the whole GC community than Southport ever could be. I cannot see how Southport could posssibly do any better, even as 'well' as the GC Suns have done to date.

The history of clubs on the GC is bleak.

I doubt that Southport would want to suffer the losses that all previous GC sports clubs have, for very long.

Given that, how would it look if the AFL were paying a gambling giant like Southport club to support their club that the Pokies venue was leveraging as an advertising platform for those pokies?

Kids & Families? I think not.

Hmmmmm, Southport have been around since 1961 and have what 13 flags? Correct me if I'm wrong, point is that the Sharks are a known success as a footy club even before the GC inception thought was entertained................. and they do have their own supporter base.

Granted they are a pokies footy club, just like some AFL clubs but if HQ were serious about expanding the game i:e garner local support to watch the game then it would make sense to build on a known identity of a club rather than a complete new franchise.

I don't see how granting the Sharks a licence would've see them go the same way as GC - purely based on that they already existed on their own feet in a 2nd tier comp. With the support of HQ you could argue that they'd have been a success in garnering the local support that HQ are so desperate for.

Don’t disagree. Spare license in Tasmania could upset Hawks and Kangaroos as they are trying to set up shop and could be an AFL-Bikie style war in Tassie. New team could be seen as moving into Hawks/North terf. Hawks have been in Tassie for over 10 years.

Do think right now Lions need merger. Already merged before. Try mixing the history and culture of Fitzroy/Bears/Suns together. AFL need find a solution to Gold Coast Suns and think Vic team playing part time could help, scrapping the Suns team. It’s worked in Tassie, can in Gold Coast.

This worked for Lions. Increase salary cap, make Gold Coast a financial destination.

It hasn't worked in Tassie at all, crowds have been dwindling and I'm sure Tassie fans are sick of seeing meaningless games played down there with the exact same teams.

Hmmmmm, Southport have been around since 1961 and have what 13 flags? Correct me if I'm wrong, point is that the Sharks are a known success as a footy club even before the GC inception thought was entertained................. and they do have their own supporter base.

Granted they are a pokies footy club, just like some AFL clubs but if HQ were serious about expanding the game i:e garner local support to watch the game then it would make sense to build on a known identity of a club rather than a complete new franchise.

I don't see how granting the Sharks a licence would've see them go the same way as GC - purely based on that they already existed on their own feet in a 2nd tier comp. With the support of HQ you could argue that they'd have been a success in garnering the local support that HQ are so desperate for.

Thats fine. We'll agree to differ. ;)

It hasn't worked in Tassie at all, crowds have been dwindling and I'm sure Tassie fans are sick of seeing meaningless games played down there with the exact same teams.

North have had more varied games in Hobart than Hawthorn have in Launceston. The AFL have tried to generate some support for North, not the Hawks.

Even so, it is North playing, who have SFA real support here. Its just keen footy people wanting to see some games. Plenty of footy people here just don't bother going.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The whole North Melbourne FC already is.
NGA Zone Tassie
AFLW team is North Melbourne - Tasmania
AFL club is playing more games in tassie than ever.
The AFL want them there permanently. Gil was asking the question to the CEOs is it time for a Tasmanian team. He won't start one from scratch as all GWS and GC do is cost them millions upon millions. North have a better chance.

NGA Zone Tassie
The AFL want them there permanently. Gil was asking the question to the CEOs is it time for a Tasmanian team. He won't start one from scratch as all GWS and GC do is cost them millions upon millions. North have a better chance.

Billions upon billions surely . If you're going to bullshit be bold I say.

Billions upon billions surely . If you're going to bullshit be bold I say.
Please don't tell me you think GWS and GC don't cost the AFL millions upon millions?
I think it's widely known they do...
I get you're sticking up for your club but if something's true what could you possibly say?

Please don't tell me you think GWS and GC don't cost the AFL millions upon millions?
I think it's widely known they do...
I get you're sticking up for your club but if something's true what could you possibly say?
You said it's all we've done and that's rubbish.

Frankly it's selfish and small minded of the clubs in a strong financial position not to tighten their belts, and offer more to the expansion clubs. We've shouldered the responsibility for taking the game into new territory, and every club benefits. When the pie gets bigger everyone gets a bigger slice.

NGA Zone Tassie

So you've discussed all this with Gil?

Otherwise you've just made some personal assumptions without knowing What Gil & the state Government are doing.

North Ain't coming. Just ask them. I think even you can understand that fact of life. The other fact is, WE DONT WANT THEM. So not a good combination for success is it??

North Ain't coming. Just ask them. I think even you can understand that fact of life. The other fact is, WE DONT WANT THEM. So not a good combination for success is it??

This is what it boils down to. Tasmanians don't want North, and North don't want to leave Melbourne. Why anyone talks about this as a possibility is beyond me.

NGA Zone Tassie

GC and GWS are clearly different scenarios.

• The new teams are in rugby league territory and the intent is to garner local support to watch Australian football instead of rl. Hence the offloading of truckloads of cash............ regardless of the timeline.
  • Don't need to tell you that Tas would not need to "garner" support for it's own team and would obviously cost HQ less to sustain - by a few road trains I imagine. I may even be so bold as to suggest at some point even if not immediately could support itself given the immediate local support.
  • If Tas did have it's own team then Northawn would be the 2nd if any interest to the Tas locals
Back to the thread title at hand, to move a team "part time" to the gold coast is a lose lose situation.

• Whichever team you move there "part time" would have an immediate impact on that teams member and supporter base. It's obvious that a team base in vic playing games out of qld would make attendance by their current base vastly less so.
  • As I said the intent of HQ is to have the locals watch Australian footy, much like Northawn in Tas now......... local support at best is minimal and would probably be less so given it is in an rl atate.

Actually perplexed if the idea wasn't floated originally by HQ to Southport, unless the Sharks knocked it back? I'd imagine if they went with south instead a complete new franchise this conversation wouldn't exist.

Roylion do you know if there was any proposal put forward to the sharks before the GC inception?
They actively up untill the gold coast suns had been bidding for a place in the professional league.

No. Southport themselves put forward a proposal to merge with North Melbourne around 2006-2007 and made several bids themselves including in 1996, but it was felt that the second Queensland AFL side needed to be a full Gold Coast-embracing thing, not just a Southport bid. Southport are heavily involved though and entered the new NEAFL in 2011. The Sharks apparently still tip in about $1 million a year into the Gold Coast Suns

NGA Zone Tassie

The AFL should run the academies and all the players should enter the draft.

Only AFL clubs can hold AFLW licences. The new team was awarded to the NMFC.

What Gilligan wants doesn't mean stuff all to anyone other than Gilligan. Tasmania want their own team, we don't want to relocate there. I'd be okay with out club having a permanent affiliation with Tasmania, however, they want their own team and are campaigning aggressively to get their own team asap (which I support), so I feel even our current level of investment is a waste of time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back