Opinion 2019 lineup

Remove this Banner Ad

If you include Bailey Smith, West and Cavarra, the trades plus the injured guys from last season we have a lot players to consider. It is to difficult to predict the round 1 team and beyond if most are fit. From all the suggested line ups I have seen the back line seems to lack a player to play on the monster forwards like Dickson and Hawkins etc. So I see Trengrove needing to play back quite often whilst Naughton and Young are developing bigger bodies.
Trengrove played one of the worst games I've seen from a dogs defender on Hawkins during the year. If hes not gonna play in the ruck he'd be in my last 5 players picked on the list just about. Ruck or nothing.

B: Wood Cordy Morris
HB: Crozier Naughton JJ
C: Hunter Dunkley Macrae
HF: Gowers Schache McLean
F: Lloyd Boyd Dickson (Greene)
R: Trengove Bont Libba
INT: Suckling Williams Daniel Richards
EMG: Wallis Dureya Lipinski

Couldn't consider Picken as it doesn't sound positive. Not sure how long Dickson's body will hold up so Greene takes his spot if/when he breaks down. Didn't want to leave Wallis out but once I picked my team I didn't have a spot for him. With Libba back in McLean moves to the role Wallis played this year.

Please no Bont forward, he showed in the second half of the season how much impact he has when playing as a full time mid. Plus he kicks goals from the midfield anyway so I don't see much point.

Lloyd will play every game he is available.

Duryea is Suckling 2.0. When fit he will play.

If people are picking teams THEY want round one I get they aren’t in it but if this thread is picking the actual line up that will play they are both 99% starters.
That's basically why I agree with you. I think if every single member of our squad is fit, Duryea probably doesn't play while Lloyd would be on the fringe.

However, knowing our injury record over the last few years, I think it's almost certain that both will be starting round 1. I have doubts over how many games Duryea plays as I feel we're pretty tight for spots at half back, but so long as Dickson struggles to remain fit and healthy I think Lloyd will have his spot secured since we really don't have any other genuine goal kickers

I had no trouble not finding a spot for either Duryea nor Llyod in my round 1 side. I just don't understand what all of the huffing and puffing hyperbole is about with these two who in reality are just cheap senior depth. Will they get games through the course of a long and arduous season, of course they will. Are they locks for round 1 with all things being equal. Absolutely not. Honestly.

Lloyd will play every game he is available.

Duryea is Suckling 2.0. When fit he will play.

If people are picking teams THEY want round one I get they aren’t in it but if this thread is picking the actual line up that will play they are both 99% starters.
I've left Duryea out myself but I agree that he'll probably start off playing every game he's fit for.

Playing safe = not improving by using gap filler.
Building excitement = unknown quantity
Its no fluke that 1997, 2006 and 2015 were our most exciting teams.
They played up and coming kids who were unknown quanities at the time.
I am not here to demean professional footballers who have been given a second chance, at another club.But there is a reason the original club let them go.
Its called deficiencies.
You can argue all you want.Thats just the
Cold hard truth.Otherwise we would all be devastated at losing Liam Jones.
Aka Hawks and Suckling.
Apart from Boyd ,Schache and Cavarra
type recruiting l would rather build through
the draft.
We again have built an outstanding list of youngsters through great recruiters.
Naughton, English ,Richards ,Smith ,West,
Lipinski , Greene ,Young etc.
And should give them games over gap fills.
If we can recrut the big fish l am all for it.
Still glad we got Tom Boyd ( no second premiership without him)
But unwanted or unmatched by original club players.Dont move clubs forward.
Biggs was great for 1 season.
Hamling being the exception and thats why Fremantle nabbed him.
I prefer the mature recruitment for latter picks strategy Picken,Cavarra , Hayes , Morris and Boyd personally.They have more to prove.
And players like Gowers ,Daniels ,,Dahlhaus and Harbrow whom were simply given a chance.
Please repeat 1997 ,2006 and 2015
And play the unknown quantity or excitement
Please Play the kids over the fill gaps.

I had no trouble not finding a spot for either Duryea nor Llyod in my round 1 side. I just don't understand what all of the huffing and puffing hyperbole is about with these two who in reality are just cheap senior depth. Will they get games through the course of a long and arduous season, of course they will. Are they locks for round 1 with all things being equal. Absolutely not. Honestly.

Agree.

I had Lloyd in as I think he's a natural goal kicker which we don't have a lot of. Dureya on the other hand I just don't see him playing round 1 if everyone is fit. Crozier, Richards, JJ, Williams and Suckling all offer more than him. See him purely as depth and leadership around the club.

Team I’d like to play Round 1.

FB: Morris, Naughton, Crozier
HB: Richards, Young , Wood
C: Hunter, Macrae, Jj
HF: Gowers, Cordy, Dunkley
FF: Cavarro, Boyd, Greene
R: English, Libba, Bont
INT: Mclean, Wallis, Smith, West

EMG: Duryea, Daniel, Lloyd, Picken, Williams, Trengove

Team I think will play Round 1.

FB: Morris, Cordy, Suckling
HB: Wood, Naughton, Duryea
C: Hunter, Macrae, JJ
HF: McLean, Boyd, Crozier
FF: Gowers, Schache, LLoyd
R: Trengrove, McLean, Bont
INT: Dunkley, Wallis, Richards, Libba
EMG: B. Smith, English, Daniel

Team I think will play Round 1.

FB: Morris, Cordy, Suckling
HF: McLean, Boyd, Crozier
FF: Gowers, Schache, LLoyd
R: Trengrove, McLean, Bont
INT: Dunkley, Wallis, Richards, Libba
EMG: B. Smith, English, Daniel
My team would be fairly similar to yours, but I'd like to see Schache playing. Do you not rate him, or just think he's not up to it yet?

My preferred team would have Lynch and Schache in the side, with one of West or Smith out for Lynch and probably Young out for Cordy (unless he really is ready)

At least one of these will debut in Round 1.
46885971_931492520389138_3534238969090801664_n.jpg

At least one of these will debut in Round 1.
46885971_931492520389138_3534238969090801664_n.jpg
I'm betting at least 3.
Lloyd and Duryea would be almost default ins.
Smith, Hayes and West all a chance.
Cavarra, if fully fit, is almost a walk up start I'd think.
Khamis and Vandermeer probably need a bit of time in the VFL.

My team would be fairly similar to yours, but I'd like to see Schache playing. Do you not rate him, or just think he's not up to it yet?

My preferred team would have Lynch and Schache in the side, with one of West or Smith out for Lynch and probably Young out for Cordy (unless he really is ready)

Schache doesn’t excite me and I struggle to see him and Boyd in the same successful team.

I do like Lynch but think Bev will stick with guys like Suckling

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting. I'm on the Cavarro train too. Hope that Smith gets a gig as well.

You think Young can hold down CHB?

And Cordy can hold down CHF?

Can you elaborate on your omission of Schache?

Interesting. I'm on the Cavarro train too. Hope that Smith gets a gig as well.

You think Young can hold down CHB?

And Cordy can hold down CHF?

Can you elaborate on your omission of Schache?

As I’ve said several times I’m not confident next year so am happy to play the kids and get games into them.

Only one way to find out if Young can and I’d rather do it while Moz is there to guide him.

Cordy played forward in 2016 finals and that seemed to work out ok I think.

Schache and Boyd both have too many deficiencies to play in same team imo. So it’s one or the other and Boyd gave us 2016 so gets first crack at it.

Trade period rather uneventful D+
Draft pretty good B+

B: Morris, Cordy, Crozier
HF: McLean, Schache, Lloyd
FF: Dunkley, Gowers, Cavarra
R: Trengrove, Bont, Liberatore
INT: Daniel, English, Williams, Suckling

EMG: Wallis, Boyd, Smith, Richards

Can't see Bevo playing an overly tall forward line. Think it will be one of Boyd or Schache with a resting ruck to help out.

Midfield is strong with plenty of options to rotate and also pinch hit.

Feel bad for the emergencies and more than a half dozen more - Dale, Greene, Jong, West, Picken, Dickson, Lipinski and Lynch.

Plenty of competition for spots

So so difficult.

I find myself tinkering with this almost every day.

FF: Cavara Schache Lloyd
HF: Richards Gowers Smith
R: Boyd Dunks Bont
C: Hunter Jacko Mclean
HB: Daniel Naughton JJ
FB: Wood Cordy Williams

Wallis West Libba Crozier

I believe that Bevo will have great faith in our new young guys.

I find that forward line very exciting.

It hasn’t been mentioned much on here... but can you just imagine the combination of Richards and Smith on both forward flanks.

Then you have the slippery combination and goal kicking ability of Cavara and Lloyd.

Then Schache and Gowers presenting hard through the middle.

So so difficult.

I find myself tinkering with this almost every day.

FF: Cavara Schache Lloyd
HF: Richards Gowers Smith
R: Boyd Dunks Bont
C: Hunter Jacko Mclean
HB: Daniel Naughton JJ
FB: Wood Cordy Williams

Wallis West Libba Crozier

I believe that Bevo will have great faith in our new young guys.

I find that forward line very exciting.

It hasn’t been mentioned much on here... but can you just imagine the combination of Richards and Smith on both forward flanks.

Then you have the slippery combination and goal kicking ability of Cavara and Lloyd.

Then Schache and Gowers presenting hard through the middle.

It's a hard task because there is no opposition to consider, no injuries and one is assuming everyone is in form.

I also think this is a strong list that has depth and talent. Looking forward to 2019

Could we try Boyd in defence as Scott Wynd type roll and play Trengove at CHF to ruck the front half.

Sounds stupid now I have written and reread it.
The last thing Boyd needs is more roles to learn. He needs to be given a simple role and a chance to play it. Whether that’s goal square forward crashing packs or mobile ruck/pinch hit forward is up to coaches.

We all saw what happened when we moved Wood from back to forward. Stuffed his whole season up. Versatility can be a bad thing.

As I’ve said several times I’m not confident next year so am happy to play the kids and get games into them.

Only one way to find out if Young can and I’d rather do it while Moz is there to guide him.

Cordy played forward in 2016 finals and that seemed to work out ok I think.

Schache and Boyd both have too many deficiencies to play in same team imo. So it’s one or the other and Boyd gave us 2016 so gets first crack at it.

Trade period rather uneventful D+
Draft pretty good B+

Fair arguments. Thanks for the reply.

I understand that it's hard to work out a team and everyone is entitled to their opinions, but the omission of Wallis in many teams is honestly staggering to me.

Fair enough. Do you see Wallis predominately playing forward?

If so, do you see our named forward line being some mix of Wallis, Gowers, Lloyd, two of Schache/English/Boyd and one of Picken/Dickson/Lipinsky/Greene/Cavarro?

Fair enough. Do you see Wallis predominately playing forward?

If so, do you see our named forward line being some mix of Wallis, Gowers, Lloyd, two of Schache/English/Boyd and one of Picken/Dickson/Lipinsky/Greene/Cavarro?
Yep, forward for sure. Of all of our options he's top ~2 for actual impact at AFL level in this side, and by a long, long way. Leaving him out for Lloyd/Cavarra/Greene/etc is wishful thinking. Why omit a known contributor for someone who maybe could be better at some point? As far as I'm concerned you go with the best performers at the level until proven otherwise. Wallis not getting first go in favour of some VFL footballers is baffling to me, but I appreciate that others disagree.

Optimal forward lineup at this point for me is Boyd, Schache, Wallis, Gowers, Cavarra and Lloyd/Greene/Picken/Dickson. I understand Wallis' limitations and why he's being left out but until I see him actually be outperformed by someone else I'm loathe to exclude him.

Long term I predict Boyd, Schache and Greene as being the key pieces. Other positions are still in flux.

I tried to make my best 22 and there were about 5-8 guys I absolutely want and think deserve to be in the team round 1, so I gave up. I'm just going to sit here and critique all of yours, "how could you leave _____ out?!?!"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back