Draft Profile Liam Stocker

Remove this Banner Ad

Correct in that clubs in rebuild phase don't really look at wins / losses but more %. Carlton's has been woeful through the rebuild. Next year will be interesting.

As I said earlier, there is no right or wrong re the Stocker deal. At least not for another 5 years. At least the Blues had the balls to bank on an improvement for next year and then draft to that on s player they rated.

We won't be accessed of tanking, for once this century.

Nah. % was only truly woeful last season. The two seasons before that were a touch under 80%, which from a bottom team is not woeful, in the same way 120% is not incredible for a top 4 team.

Fair point re last year being woeful. The team regressed so badly though (yes for numerous reaaons). I tend to think heads will roll IF the team performs as badly again. Your list is coming along nicely but your mids whilst high picks are young. 2019 will still be a development year. Just need to stem the thrashings and be competitive as a team.

Fair point re last year being woeful. The team regressed so badly though (yes for numerous reaaons). I tend to think heads will roll IF the team performs as badly again. Your list is coming along nicely but your mids whilst high picks are young. 2019 will still be a development year. Just need to stem the thrashings and be competitive as a team.

If Bolts has access to his best 22 for the majority of season and the team performs as badly as they did this year, then questions are gonna asked. Heads may not role, but last chances might be issued.

Two internal club reports occurred at seasons end:

[1] Medical, injury, fitness related

[2] Gameplan related

Fitness, injury prevention and high performance needed improvement. Changes in personal occurred, with a new high-performance manager (Andrew Russell from Hawthorn). Also noted, some of our players simply did not train hard enough or smart enough.

Gameplan was a disaster. Far too sophisticated and complicated which ultimately confused the players on the ground. Brendon Bolton basically got this wrong. You implement a more complex plan once you have more experienced foot soldiers. However, in 2016/2017 Carlton was a reasonably competitive unit that did have some good wins over: Geelong, Sydney, Hawthorn, GWS. In 2019 the coaching staff will simplify the gameplan back to something this group can cope with.

2016 - 7 wins
2017 - 6 wins
2018 - 2 wins
2019 - 6-9 wins would be the internal aim

Another 2 win season with 3 or more 100 point losses would see heads roll.

Solid looking unit for a teenager; already has a inside midfielders body:

DsoiCZfUwAEgpbt.jpg

Two internal club reports occurred at seasons end:

[1] Medical, injury, fitness related

[2] Gameplan related

Fitness, injury prevention and high performance needed improvement. Changes in personal occurred, with a new high-performance manager (Andrew Russell from Hawthorn). Also noted, some of our players simply did not train hard enough or smart enough.

Gameplan was a disaster. Far too sophisticated and complicated which ultimately confused the players on the ground. Brendon Bolton basically got this wrong. You implement a more complex plan once you have more experienced foot soldiers. However, in 2016/2017 Carlton was a reasonably competitive unit that did have some good wins over: Geelong, Sydney, Hawthorn, GWS. In 2019 the coaching staff will simplify the gameplan back to something this group can cope with.

2016 - 7 wins
2017 - 6 wins
2018 - 2 wins
2019 - 6-9 wins would be the internal aim

Another 2 win season with 3 or more 100 point losses would see heads roll.

I remember when Hardwick first came on board and we had our big clean out. Young kids came in and DH concentrated on teaching them a new game plan...one step at a time. He was very open with us on what he was teaching and what he was going to teach. But he would not do one until the team had shown they have learnt the first. Sure 2016 was a cluster flock but it was turned around.

If what you say is the case with Bolton, then he will need to take it back a notch or 2 before you go forward. Your list (and in particular your mids...which are critical for success) are still very young.

Yep, Bolton’s 66 game rebuild has run its race. If you didn’t at least triple your wins from 2018 they should be looking at him. But that would still hand Adelaide pick four in the 2019 draft.

It’s looking much better.as you said your youth and inexperience will be exposed next year. As will having Jones still playing full back in your starting 18 and the quicker you can get Kennedy out of your first tier of mids the better.
I have to disagree re Kennedy. I think his year was hampered by an inability to stay on the field last year.

He played 16 games in a very good midfield in 2017, carrying shoulder problems for much of it. Not every productive mid can be a Cripps, Fyfe or a Martin. Teams need hard bodied defensive guys to dominate the contest around the clearances as well.

Matthew Kennedy will be an extremely important part of the Carlton team.
He is an inside bull. He have Cripps and no-one else. Kennedy is crucial for us.

His 2018 season was shot to pieces due to an ankle injury he sustained in the 1st quarter of the 1st game. We (Carlton) then completely botched his injury for the rest of the year. Hopefully with new high-performance department (led by Andrew Russell), those mismanagements should not re-occur.

Kennedy is not a star.
But, our team needs him, hopefully he gets a good run at it.

That’s Sydney Stack slow.
Not a great number.

Stockers got no dedication issues we know of?

Sam Walsh - 6mins 7secs for 2km.
Lochie O’Brien – 6mins 12secs (last year's combine)

Complimentary skill sets. We have some endurance runners in our midfield.

Sam Walsh will be more outside (for the first 2 years) because of his skinny frame.
Liam Stocker should be more inside because he already looks a solid unit.

Cripps/Kennedy/Stocker/Setterfield inside
Dow/O'Brian/Walsh/SPS outside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even ignoring his endurance issue, I think a lot of people see his weight and think he's ready to play inside. What people overlook is muscle =/= strength. He's got kid muscles and they're going to make it harder for him to build his tank.

Every year you hear 'player X is ready to go' but only SPP and Wines have actually played and made any impact. LDU was the 'most ready to go' last year, he barely played and when he did he had almost no impact.

Having the mass isn't all bad, it'll help him cushion some blows, reduce the chance of injury but he's is still a few years off having proper AFL strength and possibly further from having AFL endurance.

Anyone thinking Carlton are going to be significantly better this year and that if they're not Bolton will be sacked are setting themselves up for disappointment. Carlton are still way too young, inexperienced and lacking leaders and this year's draftees will not fix that.

Their list is very promising but given so many were originally taken in the first round you would hope it was. Only bloodlust from deluded Carlton fans would lead to a sacked coach and or list manager but all that would do is set them back further.

For better or worse at nearly every stage SOS has prioritised youth, with only discarded players as mature back up. Even when given priority access to the best mature aged players this year they used it for more drafting and trade currency. This means the rebuild will take much longer, I find this questionable as many mature draftees have not only been good enough as immediate impact but also as long term prospects. They've been in no rush to get off the bottom, trying to hoard talent like when GWS was starting out (SOS speciality) but no first round drafting pick tied to their poor performance means they're changing that.

There won't be a much better result this year but the core is built and playing together so it should improve quickly. If it doesn't all click and fruit does not bare in a couple years then the power brokers who chose this direction will have to fall on their swords.

Even ignoring his endurance issue, I think a lot of people see his weight and think he's ready to play inside. What people overlook is muscle =/= strength. He's got kid muscles and they're going to make it harder for him to build his tank.

Every year you hear 'player X is ready to go' but only SPP and Wines have actually played and made any impact. LDU was the 'most ready to go' last year, he barely played and when he did he had almost no impact.

Having the mass isn't all bad, it'll help him cushion some blows, reduce the chance of injury but he's is still a few years off having proper AFL strength and possibly further from having AFL endurance.

Anyone thinking Carlton are going to be significantly better this year and that if they're not Bolton will be sacked are setting themselves up for disappointment. Carlton are still way too young, inexperienced and lacking leaders and this year's draftees will not fix that.

Their list is very promising but given so many were originally taken in the first round you would hope it was. Only bloodlust from deluded Carlton fans would lead to a sacked coach and or list manager but all that would do is set them back further.

For better or worse at nearly every stage SOS has prioritised youth, with only discarded players as mature back up. Even when given priority access to the best mature aged players this year they used it for more drafting and trade currency. This means the rebuild will take much longer, I find this questionable as many mature draftees have not only been good enough as immediate impact but also as long term prospects. They've been in no rush to get off the bottom, trying to hoard talent like when GWS was starting out (SOS speciality) but no first round drafting pick tied to their poor performance means they're changing that.

There won't be a much better result this year but the core is built and playing together so it should improve quickly. If it doesn't all click and fruit does not bare in a couple years then the power brokers who chose this direction will have to fall on their swords.

Great Post. But those reasons are exactly why I like this trade from SOS. You have to place some value on getting an extra year into Stocker. Even if (and it is an if) they lose something in Stocker plus our pick next year vs a top 3 pick, they make up some of that by getting that extra year into Stocker. I’ll say it again, this is a great deal by both sides.

My view is that the ideal age bracket for solid 22 game per year senior players is between 22 and 30. The biggest difference for the blues in 2019 is they have the ability to field a full team in this age bracket. Something which they didn’t have in 2018.

Eg:

Plowman Jones Docherty
Newman Marchbank Goddard
Pickett Cripps Cuningham
Lang Curnow McGovern
Fasolo Casboult Garlett

Kruezer Kennedy Curnow

Lobbe Bugg Philips Owies

Not the best team in the world, but what it does is it allows the youngsters to come into a team with solid senior support. Last year we had regularly fielded teams with 10-11 players aged 21 or under which is a recipe for disaster.

People forget that there is always about 5 or 6 duds in the top 20 of the draft.I think Stoker could feel tge pressure and fail to perform as well.Every time he makes a clanger, Carlton people will say we traded pick 2 for him.

Stocker will be a quality quality inside mid , has burst breakaway speed dual sided and tackles hard, he’s a ripper nom guesses , that’s the reason Silvagni pounced.
McGovern, Fasolo, Newman, Bugg, Goddard , Walsh and Stocker ensure we’ll escape bottom 4.

Stocker will be a quality quality inside mid , has burst breakaway speed dual sided and tackles hard, he’s a ripper nom guesses , that’s the reason Silvagni pounced.
McGovern, Fasolo, Newman, Bugg, Goddard , Walsh and Stocker ensure we’ll escape bottom 4.
Newman Bugg and Goddard were all delisted and you would struggle to find many sides who wanted Fasolo. Agreed they help depth wise but I wouldn't be expecting any of those players to drastically lift you out of the bottom 4. Brisbane, St Kilda and Freo are all ahead of you quite comfortably still imo.

SOS doesn't rate mature age players for anything other than filling list spots and only seems to select recylced AFL players. It's good for the other 17 clubs who are on the look out for your Kelly, Stewart, Fritsch, Lambert types.

My view is that the ideal age bracket for solid 22 game per year senior players is between 22 and 30. The biggest difference for the blues in 2019 is they have the ability to field a full team in this age bracket. Something which they didn’t have in 2018.

Eg:

Plowman Jones Docherty
Newman Marchbank Goddard
Pickett Cripps Cuningham
Lang Curnow McGovern
Fasolo Casboult Garlett

Kruezer Kennedy Curnow

Lobbe Bugg Philips Owies

Not the best team in the world, but what it does is it allows the youngsters to come into a team with solid senior support. Last year we had regularly fielded teams with 10-11 players aged 21 or under which is a recipe for disaster.

Surely Hugh Goddard is miles off getting a game. He's been picked in case a new environment sees him improve big time.

There's some good young talent there, but the ball's going to ping quickly out of your forward line if you line up like that. Are Walsh and Stocker quick? Because pace across the park looks an issue to me.

This is my main and final concern about our list as well. Really need Pickett, Cuningham and Garlett to step up. Otherwise, next year speed will be our number one target in drafting and trading. Can't fix it all in one off season. 2020 is the year we will hopefully rise up significantly.

Newman Bugg and Goddard were all delisted and you would struggle to find many sides who wanted Fasolo. Agreed they help depth wise but I wouldn't be expecting any of those players to drastically lift you out of the bottom 4. Brisbane, St Kilda and Freo are all ahead of you quite comfortably still imo.
Wrong, Newman was offered another contract at Sydney.

This is my main and final concern about our list as well. Really need Pickett, Cuningham and Garlett to step up. Otherwise, next year speed will be our number one target in drafting and trading. Can't fix it all in one off season. 2020 is the year we will hopefully rise up significantly.
If SPS has a full pre season I could see him having a consistent year next year. Has all the tools of being elite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back