MFC Fans Only 2018/2019 Summer Sports Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think Arnie or any coach can get much more out of that group. 2 wingers who aren't getting minutes in Germany. No strikers who play in any of the top 10 leagues in Europe.
A midfield with a bloke playing for Celtic, Huddersfield and a league 1 side
A center back who played predominantly as a midfielder and another who isn't getting game time for his club.

If Mooy and Leckie miss we are not even at championship level.

It's a huge issue and the one young bloke who looked ok did his ACL.
We don't deserve to be in a 32 team world cup
The Scotsman looked lively when he came on , think Arnold will use this basic squad for Asian cup , doesn’t have many more games to experiment with .

The Scotsman looked lively when he came on , think Arnold will use this basic squad for Asian cup , doesn’t have many more games to experiment with .

Yeah the rigjt hand side was good. Leckie our best forward and Risdon played really well. Rest were pretty crap.

are we playing in India? * me if you didnt know it was in Australia youd think it was. I guess when every second new house i chuck a roof on having an asian name it shouldnt be surprising

are we playing in India? **** me if you didnt know it was in Australia youd think it was. I guess when every second new house i chuck a roof on having an asian name it shouldnt be surprising
Every taxi I've hopped in over the last 5 years has an Indian driver. All studying, and all love cricket. Not surprised the G is full of thier supporters. Shows just as much that Australian supporters have lost interest in the International team..

Every taxi I've hopped in over the last 5 years has an Indian driver. All studying, and all love cricket. Not surprised the G is full of thier supporters. Shows just as much that Australian supporters have lost interest in the International team..
look at our team i go wtf is this team and not interested besides obviously WA boys for me.

*cricket

It's a dead sport in Australia.

*cricket

It's a dead sport in Australia.
Its clearly not a dead sport with bumper crowds for the Big Bash. But the public has definitely lost interest in the international side. Mainly because there aren't any stars. As fun as it is to watch Lynn, Maxwell and Short, they play 1 great innings in 5 and they stay in the side. Our fast bowlers are fragile, Lyon as good as he has been is rather dull to watch and lacks that ability to kill off a side when needed. Our leadership is really non existent and our batting line up a revolving door that still has the Marsh brothers a part of it.

Big Bash has been a lifeline for cricket Australia though. I'm a Grade 1 teacher and most of my class love the Big Bash. Hopefully that can sustain public interest until Australia discover some genuine talent worth watching again..

Its clearly not a dead sport with bumper crowds for the Big Bash. But the public has definitely lost interest in the international side. Mainly because there aren't any stars. As fun as it is to watch Lynn, Maxwell and Short, they play 1 great innings in 5 and they stay in the side. Our fast bowlers are fragile, Lyon as good as he has been is rather dull to watch and lacks that ability to kill off a side when needed. Our leadership is really non existent and our batting line up a revolving door that still has the Marsh brothers a part of it.

Big Bash has been a lifeline for cricket Australia though. I'm a Grade 1 teacher and most of my class love the Big Bash. Hopefully that can sustain public interest until Australia discover some genuine talent worth watching again..

Big bash isn't cricket, a game completely geared towards batsmen that holds no fear from fast bowlers. It's entertaining but it's not cricket. The wicket doesn't disintegrate during the game, batsmen don't have to survive they just have to get lucky.

Bowlers can't bowl anything legside and there's ******* fielding restrictions.

It's not cricket

Twenty20 is pretty much a different sport. I doubt that in the vast majority of cases you'll see many people enjoy T20 and then transition on to the longer formats of the game. They'll just find them tedious and overly time-consuming.

Twenty20 is pretty much a different sport. I doubt that in the vast majority of cases you'll see many people enjoy T20 and then transition on to the longer formats of the game. They'll just find them tedious and overly time-consuming.

Plus a whole generation is training to clear the front leg and try and spread the field rather than concentrate and build partnerships.

Khawaja could do better than disregard the opinions of 3 Australian legends. This bullshit about it's how modern bats train and play is horseshit and I completely agree with Warne. When you are 5-35 you don't need to 'spread the field' and be innovative you need to dig in and make sure you post atleast a competitive total.
This notion of backing yourself all the time is bullshit. If you are a WC striker of the ball like Gilchrist then yeah go nuts but everyone else needs to get in line and focus.

Our great ODI teams used to try and go big early and if we lost wickets blokes like Bevan/Hussey/Clarke would reset and make sure we posted atleast 220 to give the bowlers a chance.

Now it seems like we would rather die trying to get 400 than post a decent score.

Our test batsmen seem to have panic attacks if they don't score a boundary once an over. How the * Mitch Marsh was given the number 4 and or 5 role in test cricket averaging 30 in FC cricket is beyond a joke considering we have 3 supposed world class fast bowlers anyway.

We are gonna get raped by India this summer

Grade 1 is about the brain development Big Bash is aimed at.

Nothing wrong with that, but Test cricket is a thinking person's game. Requires the maturity of patience

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gerard Wheatley is a ******* w***er. His statement on Clarke might be the biggest load of wank I've read all year and that's saying something.

Firstly to attribute the sandpaper incident where Smith and Warner decided to cheat with a captain who retired what 4 years ago? Absoloute horseshit.
To then essentially call Clarke a moron because he said he preferred the team to be respected not liked was another line of s**t. I completely agree with Clarke on that. Shaking everyone's hand a clapping them for scoring boundaries won't make us a better team at all its all PR nonsense. Tim Paines legacy seems to be it doesn't matter if you average 15 as long as you do it with a smile.

Then he said the reason the public is disconnected from the side is because of its behaviour, that's moronic.
The public doesn't give a s**t because the side is ******* s**t. Our fast bowlers are always injured. Our 2 best batsmen cheated and the rest are just average numpties who ******* rotate in an out including 2 brothers who wouldn't have played a single game between 90-2008 yet are now invaluable scrubs.
There's no characters or players to idolize since Johnson retired. Who wants to grow up and bat like Peter Handscomb or Shaun Marsh.

No one had a problem with the Australian side when it was successful. We like our teams to be aggressive and competitive. To equate sledging and cheating is ******* stupid. Every country should prioritise winning, in fact every team in every sport or else what are you doing even playing?
Or is the priority keeping up public appearance and making money?

To equate aggressive sledging with cheating is ******* tedious
The AFL blokes sledge and lip off all the time yet the players don't cheat. ( this is not about Essendons medical rogues)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sad moment for me yesterday when I'm agreeing with Michael Clarke and Simon Katich needs to pull his head out of his arse. How did those two roles reverse?

Wouldn't say Mitchell Johnson is a player to idolize. Took him about 8 years to get his radar right and he's dense as lead.

Sad moment for me yesterday when I'm agreeing with Michael Clarke and Simon Katich needs to pull his head out of his arse. How did those two roles reverse?

Wouldn't say Mitchell Johnson is a player to idolize. Took him about 8 years to get his radar right and he's dense as lead.
Maybe idolize is the wrong term, but I could see a bunch of kids in the backyard and nets drawing on statshes and trying to knock people's blocks off. That ashes series was as good a bowling in a series as you will ever see and it was genuinely quick too. They talk about Cummins and Starc as fast bowlers but they don't create fear like Johnson did.

Not so much players to idolize but players you want to watch.....15 years ago i wouldn't miss a ball of the aussies batting. You'd love to see Langer smash through the covers, Hayden's pull shot, Pontings on drive, Martyn's push through the covers and then see Gilly come in and finish off the innings with a run ball 60.......now we get to see S marsh knicking to gully, head clunking cover drives to mid wicket and loose bus change looking like a number 9 who has come in as a nightwatchman

Not so much players to idolize but players you want to watch.....15 years ago i wouldn't miss a ball of the aussies batting. You'd love to see Langer smash through the covers, Hayden's pull shot, Pontings on drive, Martyn's push through the covers and then see Gilly come in and finish off the innings with a run ball 60.......now we get to see S marsh knicking to gully, head clunking cover drives to mid wicket and loose bus change looking like a number 9 who has come in as a nightwatchman

Exactly. Although it's clear our generation was spoilt. If you picked a greatest Australian side of all time you could have Hayden Ponting Gilchrist Warne and McGrath all in it and then blokes like Langer Martyn Hussey Clarke Gillespie MacGill in the 2nd eleven. It's very real we will never see an Australian team with so much talent ever again.

In fact from 1990 to 2010 we probably had 3 teams worth of players who could have all been world champions.

Any of these blokes would play 100 tests now.

Blewett
Di Venuto
Elliot
Law
Love
Lehmann
D.Hussey
Bichel
Macgill
Bracken
Kasprowicz

Etc etc

In fact from 1990 to 2010 we probably had 3 teams worth of players who could have all been world champions.

Blewett
Di Venuto
Elliot
Law
Love
Lehmann
D.Hussey
Bichel
Macgill
Bracken
Kasprowicz

Etc etc

I love Andy Bichel, his 2003 World Cup was next level

L

Blewett
Di Venuto
Elliot
Law
Love
Lehmann
D.Hussey
Bichel
Macgill
Bracken
Kasprowicz

Etc etc
List needs more Hodge, but totally agree.

L

Mate you could probably throw out another dozen batters and bowlers from that era who would play 100 tests now. It's incredible how badly we have dropped off and their is no light at the end of the tunnel either.

His game against NZ in the semi should be the stuff of folklore. We were like 8-90 or something ridicolous and he hung around and got us to about 170 if I remember correctly and then we bowled em out for sub 150.

ODI cricket was so much better back then when 250 was a good score and anything over 220 was defendable.

A mate of mine worked in a Brisbane club in the late 90's/early 00's, and tells a brilliant story about Bichel in there one night.

Apparently the staff weren't overly impressed when he kept betting people that he could do a cartwheel with his glass of rum and coke on his head and not spill a drop ... he made this bet several times, and didn't win many of them.

L

Was going to say. For a Victorian to leave out their favourite poster boy for "you get your baggy green with your NSW cap" conspiracy is near sacrilegious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back