Prediction Best 22 R1 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the look of this. I think having the third tall intercept mark makes a huge difference. I actually think Wilkie may be a really good option for this.

I know he's only just been drafted off the rookie list, but he's coming off a best and fairest year in a SANFL premiership. 14 times named in the best players is a crazy good effort and you would expect he would have played a fair bit of senior footy last year with that form. Just a matter of whether he will be tall enough for the role i guess.

He is the same height as Sam Fisher who had no trouble playing that role

Always tough at this time of the year. Would love to get Parker in the lineup but don't think there's evidence he ahshou be there just yet.

FB: Webster Carlisle Geary
HB: Billings Roberton Coffield
C: Steven Hannebery Acres
HF: Long Battle Gresham
FF: Newnes Bruce Membrey
R: Longer Ross Steele
I/C: Marshall White Sinclair Clark

Would switch White for Brown when we are playing a side with 2 or more genuine star key forwards, otherwise I'm happy to play a bit undersized down back.

Would like to see Billings play the Montagna role from a few years back and push into the midfield from the back flank.

Long and Gresh are livewires in the forward line with three mobile talls that need to rotate higher up the ground, they need to learn to create space for each other. Newnes showed a bit in that marking small role and would like to see him, Acres and Steven rotate through that position.

Paddy has kicked 34 goals from 35 games (many of which were injury affected)
Marshall has kicked 6 goals form 13 games
Bruce 135 goals from 91 games.

You tell me who is going to be better for the side?

If Bruce kicks more goals because he doesn’t ruck then you have to off set that. Paddy and Bruce are probably playing for one spot. We need a back up ruck and Bruce is a poor option.

The latter really isn't likely though is it - and as much as I like it in theory, in practice it's probably not for the best this year given his defensive qualities.

Geary has had some off season surgery though hasn’t he. It will be very interesting to see how the selectors treat him if he loses some of his running power.

Geary has had some off season surgery though hasn’t he. It will be very interesting to see how the selectors treat him if he loses some of his running power.
It was just a knee scope and was a while ago now.

It’s all about dmac and structure I guess. I have dmac and Geary pretty lineball and that’s two non-classy ball users shall we say. I just think richo will want to play both regardless

If Bruce kicks more goals because he doesn’t ruck then you have to off set that. Paddy and Bruce are probably playing for one spot. We need a back up ruck and Bruce is a poor option.
Bruce, Paddy and Membrey would be our best forward combination on paper. Why would we change that combination for a small amount each quarter, when most seconds rucks as as competent as Bruce. Surely the forward combination comes first rather than worrying about the second ruck.

Marshall kicked 5 in his last 6 games including any ruck duties. ( 13 games total)
Paddy kicked 6 in his last 6 games. ( 35 games total )
Battle kicked 7 in his last 6 games. ( 7 games total )
Bruce kicked 9 in his last 6 games. ( 91 games total )
Membrey kicked 9 in his last 6 games. ( 70 games total )

Membrey and Bruce in on current results.
Battle the best of the rest and most likely to improve the fastest , but Marshall was doing some rucking in his game.
Hogan kicked 11 in his first 6 games , so some hope for King early, but others like Joe Daniher only kicked 3.

B - Webster - Brown - Carlisle
HB - Roberton - Austin - McKenzie
C - Hanneberry - Steele - Billings
HF - Kent - McCartin - Steven
F - Membrey - Bruce - Long
R - Longer - Gresham - Ross (c)
I - Acres - Parker - Coffield - Clark

Backline is versatile & can easily adapt if required.

Midfield has a new flavour of offence over defence.

Forward line has an added emphasis on pressure.

New captain.

Priority on run & mongrel.

One paced players such as Newnes & Dunstan will struggle to get a game.
From Captain to not getting a game - nup not gonna happen.

Geary for Brown

B - Webster - Austin - Geary (C)
HB - Roberton - Carlisle - McKenzie
C - Hanneberry - Steele - Billings
HF - ???? - Bruce - Gresham
F - Membrey - ????? - Long
R - Longer - Steven - Ross
I - Acres - Coffield - Clark -????

Bruce, Paddy and Membrey would be our best forward combination on paper. Why would we change that combination for a small amount each quarter, when most seconds rucks as as competent as Bruce. Surely the forward combination comes first rather than worrying about the second ruck.

Battle gets better results than Paddy "on paper"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or he returns to his best and looks a captain? He actually started really well last season and by the end was average. He's underrated, when he's at his best he does his job to a very high standard. I have never minded a battler that gets everything out of himself and Geary is definitely on of those. I'd love to try him on a wing and trust someone else to take over his backline small defender role. Coffield, White and Rice all capable of it.

Hopefully Ratten brings some Hawks like creativity to the Saints and we can try players in different spots. We should have used a few players in roles that weren't their usual ones IMO. It keeps players fresh and utilises what you already have.

Or he returns to his best and looks a captain? He actually started really well last season and by the end was average. He's underrated, when he's at his best he does his job to a very high standard. I have never minded a battler that gets everything out of himself and Geary is definitely on of those. I'd love to try him on a wing and trust someone else to take over his backline small defender role. Coffield, White and Rice all capable of it.

Hopefully Ratten brings some Hawks like creativity to the Saints and we can try players in different spots. We should have used a few players in roles that weren't their usual ones IMO. It keeps players fresh and utilises what you already have.

Yep - Geary hitting up players in the fwd line.

2018:
Round 1 Paddy 1 , Bruce 2, Membrey 2 If they didn't have their 3rd defender on Paddy they should have.
Round 2 Same lineup, no goals. Marks , Membrey 4, Paddy 4, Bruce 1.
Round 3 Bruce 1. Paddy 0, Marshall 0 , ( but was the main ruck ).
Round 4 Paddy 1. Marshall 1. Acres 1. ( Minimal rucking by Marshall ).
Pound 5 Paddy 3. Membrey 0. Acres 0. ( Paddy's best game to date ).
Round 6 Membrey 1 , Paddy 1.
Round 7 Membrey 2, Paddy 0, Marshall 0 ( Paddy 2 behinds Marshall 3 ).
Round 10 Membrey 2, Newnes 1, Paddy 0
Round 11 Membrey 2, Paddy 1, Marshall 0
Round 12 Battle 2, Paddy 1, Membrey 1 Only Membrey took a contested mark. Battle 7 contested possessions to Paddy's 3.
Round 13 Battle 3, Paddy 2, Membrey 2. Both Paddy and Battle took a contested mark. Membrey took 3. Paddy had 7 cp's to Battles 6.
Round 15 Membrey 4 Paddy 2 Battle 1. 1 contested mark to Paddy, 2 to Battle.
Round 16 Membrey 1 Paddy 0

There's been a few combinations tried here.
Battle has something like double the score rate that Paddy had at the very start of his career. Maybe the third defender aspect, ( but Paddy back then was playing with at least 2 of Riewoldt, Membrey and Bruce.

I think there's also an aspect that Battle has a big tank and is therefore harder to match up on.

Based on what we've seen, put Paddy or Marshall in the team and they'll probably kick none or 1 goal, sometimes 2.
Battle seems to be mostly good for a goal a game.

To be honest i don't see it makes much difference , if we'd lost games all year by 1 goal i might think differently.
I like Marshall's versatility.
What we really need is , when our midfield gets on top, our forwards to nail a bag between them.

Membrey's good at it.
Its not unusual for the much maligned Bruce to kick 3.
Paddy kicked 3 once in 35 games. Battle kicked 3 once in 7 games.

Richo tried Geary on the Wing at the end of last year and wasnt very good at hitting targets inside 50.

Unless something changes, Mccartin Marshall membrey will be the round 1 forward set up, that's the coaches' preferred set up as things stand.

Unless something changes, Mccartin Marshall membrey will be the round 1 forward set up, that's the coaches' preferred set up as things stand.

Wow , Bruce previously scored way more than either McCartin or Marshall. Don't tell me we're tanking again this year.

So that’s the setup unless it changes. Thanks. :Thumbsu:

Given everyone is fit I'd think only Bruce, Membrey and Gresh would be certain starters in the fwd line, some may be more likely but that's what the preseason is for. A change of game plan, (Battle to play a Gunston role) an injury to Longer could see Membrey Bruce, Marshall, Paddy, Battle, Parker and Long all in the first 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back