Traded Dylan Shiel [traded with future 2nd to Essendon for #9 and future 1st round pick]

Where is Dylan Shiel getting traded?

• Carlton

Votes: 182 39.8%
  • Essendon

Votes: 37 8.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 146 31.9%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 71 15.5%
  • Other

Votes: 21 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Dylan already in the the thick of it- in the guts.

440b4d97a9226978e5fecf65494265b9e099718c.jpeg
Wow. You’re right

I placed a press piece above where it showed we were into Wingard before we pulled out of the Shiel deal.

Oh I have no doubt you were in to Wingard. You'd be absolutely derelict in your duty if you weren't cultivating multiple options.

This whole next day thing is rubbish.

No it isn't. It's fact. Cold, hard, verifiable fact. Not an opinion, just plain old fact. The day after Shiel chose Essendon, Wingard nominated Hawthorn.

We probably wanted to get both if truth be told. But couldn’t. And chose Chad

I'm sure you did want both, I'm sure most clubs would want both. But facts are that you waited for Shiel to reject you before you committed to Wingard.

You chose Shiel over Wingard, and were rejected.

Oh I have no doubt you were in to Wingard. You'd be absolutely derelict in your duty if you weren't cultivating multiple options.

No it isn't. It's fact. Cold, hard, verifiable fact. Not an opinion, just plain old fact. The day after Shiel chose Essendon, Wingard nominated Hawthorn.

I'm sure you did want both, I'm sure most clubs would want both. But facts are that you waited for Shiel to reject you before you committed to Wingard.

Nup

Did you ever see any reports that we were prepared to pay two firsts for Shiel? Anywhere?

The only “two firsts” offer made was by Dodoro who then backtracked. It was so close to a total stuff up.

After Dodo backtracked Shiel seriously considered staying and GWS had no salary cap issues after handing over Scully for peanuts so we’re happy to hang on to him unless they got their two first picks.

GWS played it very well. Good club

Did you ever see any reports that we were prepared to pay two firsts for Shiel? Anywhere?

The only “two firsts” offer made was by Dodoro who then backtracked. It was so close to a total stuff up.

After Dodo backtracked Shiel seriously considered staying and GWS had no salary cap issues after handing over Scully for peanuts so we’re happy to hang on to him unless they got their two first picks.

You are a way better troll than ABASI. How many fish have you caught so far?

Amusing, because there was never any danger of a ‘stuff up’.

Once again, Essendon got its man.

Once again, Hawthorn was rejected.

I don’t blame the players, why would they want to go play for a side with a rubbish list?

The most amusing part was not the rejection, but the pathetic scramble by the Hawks to try maintain the facade of a ‘destination club’.

So instead of securing one of the more sought after talents available, they ended up with an inconsistent flog that the paid a laughably high amount for - this is despite that same player being laughed off by the industry mere months earlier for trying to sell himself as a star.

The desperation was hilarious.

Amusing, because there was never any danger of a ‘stuff up’.

Once again, Essendon got its man.

Once again, Hawthorn was rejected.

I don’t blame the players, why would they want to go play for a side with a rubbish list?

The most amusing part was not the rejection, but the pathetic scramble by the Hawks to try maintain the facade of a ‘destination club’.

So instead of securing one of the more sought after talents available, they ended up with an inconsistent flog that the paid a laughably high amount for - this is despite that same player being laughed off by the industry mere months earlier for trying to sell himself as a star.

The desperation was hilarious.
No argument from me that we were desperate to get Wingard. Clarko has been on the blower every year since 2014 begging Port to get Chad over to Waverley. He has probably been crying out “Give me Wingerz!” in his sleep. Not even his monumental success as a coach has soothed him. The man love Clarko has for Wingard rivals mine for Jaegar - and let me tell you - that’s a lot of man love

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And look at the timing of that piece Jade - before the Shiel trade was done.

Where’s my hilarious drop mic gif....can’t seem to find it....
er...

Mitch Cleary believes Alastair Clarkson has been on the phone to the Port Adelaide star “every year” in an attempt to lure him to the club. “He’d almost take less money to play under (Alastair Clarkson),” he said. “They were together in the International Rules a couple of years ago and Wingard has long been a fan of Clarkson.

“If (the pursuit) of Dylan Shiel falls over, they could increase their offer.”

Maybe you need a backfire gif instead?

Meh! Shiel peaked in 2016. On the decline in disposals, marks, goals, clearances and contested possession. Not in clangers though. He's been steadily increasing in those.

You mean as opposed to the guy whose last AA was 2015?

er...

Maybe you need a backfire gif instead?
That doesn’t contradict it at all.

In fact it strengthens my argument - we were able to get Wingard due to GWS refusing our offer of ONE first rounder for Shiel

We were after both. We couldn’t get both due to Dodoro’s enormous offer - and we left negotiations

How come you are struggling to understand this? You’re better than this Lance

Last edited:
To be fair to the hawks youth and list management, it’s a hell of a lot harder to get the elite talent when you finish up near the top most years
Absolutely. There are a lot of fans of every team who troll, but most people when considering Hawthorn who think they'll fall away don't see that as an indictment on the team. You stayed up for ten years, won four premierships and played in another. That is hell of an achievement. But late picks, picks traded for immediate needs (e.g. Lake) take their toll sooner or later.

Clarkson has done brilliantly, but in the finals you've really struggled the last few years. Adding Wingard and Scully but losing the opportunity for more youth and losing Burton, we'll see how it goes. The key is if Scully can play or not, he's the obvious bargain if he can. But if he can't, I can seriously seeing you drop out of the eight as other teams may improve more and you still have some important players who are or are likely to start declining.

Where is this claim that prices were discussed prior to Shiel committing coming from? Before Shiel decided who to commit to the general view on his cost was coming from the media, I don't remember a single report of discussions between GWS and any of the teams.
Wingerz and Cogs and Jaegar and Mitchell.

We might need a future first for such things too.

Verses Shiel, Jaegar and Mitchell with no Cogs and Wingard

I just threw up. **** that

Wingerz in the hand and Cogs for dessert
Um, what makes you think Wingard is on materially less money that Shiel? Given Cogs is a FA, if you could afford him and Wingard, you could afford him and Shiel. So really, it is:
  • 2019: Shiel + Burton + 2018 second rounder vs. Wingard
  • 2020: Shiel + Burton+ 2018 second rounder + 2019 second round guy vs. Wingard and 2019 first round guy
Still throwing up?

Where is this claim that prices were discussed prior to Shiel committing coming from? Before Shiel decided who to commit to the general view on his cost was coming from the media, I don't remember a single report of discussions between GWS and any of the teams.

Um, what makes you think Wingard is on materially less money that Shiel? Given Cogs is a FA, if you could afford him and Wingard, you could afford him and Shiel. So really, it is:
  • 2019: Shiel + Burton + 2018 second rounder vs. Wingard
  • 2020: Shiel + Burton+ 2018 second rounder + 2019 second round guy vs. Wingard and 2019 first round guy
Still throwing up?
Wha? I didn’t mention money at any point - other than the GWS salary dump.

My point is that we got Wingard without needing to hand over our 2019 first. We can hold onto that in case things hot up in operation Cogs.

Selling the farm for Shiel was going to ruin everything. We let the Bombers do it instead

It's amazing how quickly poor Burton has dropped from being future multiple AA and club captain to being totally expendable in the minds of the Hawthorn faithful. I bet last year if you'd asked them the value of Burton, a late first rounder would have been laughed at. Yet, here they are, proudly saying they're glad they only gave up Burton instead of a pick.

Remarkable stuff.

It's amazing how quickly poor Burton has dropped from being future multiple AA and club captain to being totally expendable in the minds of the Hawthorn faithful. I bet last year if you'd asked them the value of Burton, a late first rounder would have been laughed at. Yet, here they are, proudly saying they're glad they only gave up Burton instead of a pick.

Remarkable stuff.
If anything it shows you how much Clarko wanted Wingard. It was almost as difficult as Meryl Streep’s decision in Sophie’s Choice

PS: Burton had currency with Port. We can’t assume he would in future trades with other clubs. Pretty unsophisticated analysis if Im frank

Back