Player Watch Isaac Quaynor

Remove this Banner Ad

He's either having an outstanding preseason then or we've got a few injuries as I currently can't see how he'd be ahead of Howe, Crisp, Maynard, Langdon, Appleby for those small-medium defender spots. Even Tyler Brown has runs on the board at VFL level and should be ahead of him.
I can easily see him getting a game ahead of Appleby

He's either having an outstanding preseason then or we've got a few injuries as I currently can't see how he'd be ahead of Howe, Crisp, Maynard, Langdon, Appleby for those small-medium defender spots. Even Tyler Brown has runs on the board at VFL level and should be ahead of him.
Tyler Brown will more than likely never play an AFL game, while Quaynor could start Rnd 1.

Chalk, meet cheese.

Look at Daics and Browny in awe of Sir Isaac.

DtDUeESU0AA3GZK.jpg:large
Already gone past those two, I'd say.

Historically, approximately a third of the RS Winners have been picked outside of the top 10. So for a Pick 11 to win it wouldn't really buck any trends at all.
So are you putting money on Jye Caldwell to win it then?

The two who appear to me to be a bit shaky are Aish and Greenwood who didn't have great games in the GF. The other 20 players pick themselves for the first game if they aren't injured. So for me it's two places up for grabs with Moore, Elliot, Wells and Reid the obvious ones to come into the side unless Aish and Greenwood can fight them off with good preseason form. Quaynor won't find it as easy as Stephenson did in getting a game in the first round this season. Basically it comes down to opportunity when it presents itself.
Round 1 teams aren’t selected off the back of the previous seasons form.

We played Aish as a third small defender in the Grand Final. Greenwood played there for much of the year before that. Neither are ideal in the role. There's definitely a spot up for grabs for that third small defender. I'd say Quaynor, Appleby and Greenwood are gonna be duking it out for that role this year.

We played Aish as a third small defender in the Grand Final. Greenwood played there for much of the year before that. Neither are ideal in the role. There's definitely a spot up for grabs for that third small defender. I'd say Quaynor, Appleby and Greenwood are gonna be duking it out for that role this year.

As I've said, he'll either be having a sensational preseason or we'll have injuries. Those opportunities were necessitated by the injuries to Dunn, Scharenberg, Moore, Howe and Appleby, and to a lesser extent even Reid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can easily see him getting a game ahead of Appleby

Appleby managed 9 games in 2018 and looked likely to retain his spot before the hammy. I think he'll be front of thinking in the minds of the selectors.

He isn't ahead of Howe, Crisp, Maynard, Langdon, that is true. But Appleby? I think the recruitment of IQ is pretty bad news for Appleby, IQ has a much better all round game IMO. Appleby may have some potential as a lockdown negator but the rest of his game really needs some work. He contributes little offensively and his skills are reasonable at best. IQ on the other hand lockdown well but has lovely skills, hands that don't fumble, vision that spots a team mate in space and disposal skills that are very good. I will be pretty amazed if Appleby gets a game in front of IQ this year. I think its Aish, Mayne and Greenwood who IQ will be competing with for a spot next year

Happy for you to think that.

Even in his first training session he's a much better player than Tyler Brown. Obviously he won't push out any of the other players you named, but since Murray got a game when the other players were playing in the side, there's no reason to think that Quaynor can't get into the senior side either. It depends on how well he trains between now and the first game next year, avoiding injuries and who is available to pick for the first game.

:think:

The two who appear to me to be a bit shaky are Aish and Greenwood who didn't have great games in the GF. The other 20 players pick themselves for the first game if they aren't injured. So for me it's two places up for grabs with Moore, Elliot, Wells and Reid the obvious ones to come into the side unless Aish and Greenwood can fight them off with good preseason form. Quaynor won't find it as easy as Stephenson did in getting a game in the first round this season. Basically it comes down to opportunity when it presents itself.
Interesting points you raise.

One thing is all but certain, assuming fully healthy, Greenwood will have a killer preseason. The guy is a training nut job:)
Which makes your point about preseason being super important.

Everyone better train well.

Appleby managed 9 games in 2018 and looked likely to retain his spot before the hammy. I think he'll be front of thinking in the minds of the selectors.
Appelby is an interesting watch.

Internally highly rated I gather. Very strong one on one but....
Might just be one of those players squeezed out by slightly better types OR earn his way in and locks that in.

Gee, we have some strong depth for spots not elite but good types all ready to play their role.

Young Daicos will be a gun

Could be a very good player and looks like he's committed to the cause. Obviously spent his off-season building the body needed for senior footy. At a minimum, will be a more than handy role player you'd think.