Draft Review 2015 - Redo the 2015 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Anyone who doesn’t have Rioli in the top 5 is kidding themselves. Kicked 4 in a prelim, has won a flag and played a big part in reinventing the way small forwards play today.

The only players I could accept taking ahead of him would be Oliver, Curnow, Mills and Hipwood.

Next in line in no particular order would be Gresham, Himmelberg, Doedee, Dunkley, Phillips, Sier, and Menegola.
No room for Wayne Milera?

Jesslc

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think you need to factor in that the rest of the Carlton forward line stinks. Who else is going to kick goals??

You’re point was you would take Curnow over Daniher. Curnow has showed flashes of brilliance but hasn’t shown any consistency yet. Daniher has put together a full season worthy of getting an All Australian nod. This isn’t me being biased, your comment would be like me saying I would prefer Andy McGrath to Sam Docherty which is a ridiculous statement, Docherty is a star McGrath still has a way to go.
Lol that wasnt a point. It was an opinion. Hence why I said "I'd take Curnow, personally"

Oct 21, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Golden Knights
Unpopular opinion but I would take Hipwood before Curnow in a re-draft

I don't think this would be that unpopular, I think there's just a lot of Carlton fans in here making sure everyone else knows they've got a good player.

There would be more Brisbane fans in here doing the same for Hipwood if we only had two good players to hang our hats on too hahahah

Last edited:

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Anyone who doesn’t have Rioli in the top 5 is kidding themselves. Kicked 4 in a prelim, has won a flag and played a big part in reinventing the way small forwards play today.

The only players I could accept taking ahead of him would be Oliver, Curnow, Mills and Hipwood.

Next in line in no particular order would be Gresham, Himmelberg, Doedee, Dunkley, Phillips, Sier, and Menegola.

Come on mate, take the glasses off.

Rioli has been a product of being in the right place at the right time. All of the players you mentioned are head and shoulders above Dan.

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
You make it sound like Curnow was playing like Riewoldt. He may have spent some time up the ground but he was still by far Carlton's most used target going inside 50.

I’m not trying to make it sound like anything. Someone said “... right now potential is all it is”. I’m saying sure he’s got a tonne of potential to improve from here, but he’s actually producing good footy; and rather than just saying it, I provided objective metrics to back it up and compared it to the best forward of 2018 for context.

If people were rating him no.2 in the league, then I would completely agree that’s an opinion based on potential, but no.2 in this draft? No, that’s deserving on performance, not just potential.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I’m not trying to make it sound like anything. Someone said “... right now potential is all it is”. I’m saying sure he’s got a tonne of potential to improve from here, but he’s actually producing good footy; and rather than just saying it, I provided objective metrics to back it up and compared it to the best forward of 2018 for context.

If people were rating him no.2 in the league, then I would completely agree that’s an opinion based on potential, but no.2 in this draft? No, that’s deserving on performance, not just potential.

But Curnow isn't the clear cut number 2 on performance alone.

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
But Curnow isn't the clear cut number 2 on performance alone.

Who said clear cut? The only clear cut in this draft right now is Oliver, but if someone rates Curnow at no.2 on performance alone, I reckon they’d have a well supported argument. You’re welcome to set about demonstrating why that’s wrong if you like, but the statement-making has run its course.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

As Brisbane fan I obviously prefer Hipwood for retention reasons. On pure football ability/talent I'd take Curnow ahead of Hippy - Curnow is a far better contested mark and Hippy probably has better athleticism as he is ridiculously fast. But it certainly isn't as big a gap as some make out.

I think there is a fair gap between those two at this stage and McKay/Weideman. Weideman definitely had some great games at the end of last year but he's in a better situation (far better midfield and McDonald to draw attention), whereas Curnow and Hipwood are each team's focal point. Weideman could definitely pull himself into the conversation in the next 18 months- 2 years though.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

If he had a different last name and was drafted to the GC and not Richmond no one would know who Rioli is. Currently just a good player with potential.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

Not sure you can say he reinvented anything when Cyril had been doing it for the best part of a decade. Richmond very much doubled down on speed and pressure but every side had 1 or 2 of those players already.

Rating Dan Rioli is very hard because he wasn't really ready to play in 2016 and was just doing bits and pieces. Then he wasn't at his best this year. So his best form is really an up and down 2017 with a great prelim.

I'd take Gresham over him because he's incredibly classy, capable of playing mid and forward and a goal kicker.

Himmelberg v Rioli is interesting because it gets in to the discussion on what a key forward and what an elite pressure forward are worth. Key forwards - particular those with nice all around games like Himmelberg are the type of player we've always told are vital and rare, but these days a gun small like Rioli might be even rarer and just as valuable. I'm a huge Himmelberg fan but I'd lean to Rioli there. I don't think he's top 5 but he's certainly top 10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Why? Is this based off Oliver’s 10 kicks & 20 handballs a game this year?

As a pure footy watcher Sier has much more upside & excitement than Oliver.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Another argument that shouldn’t even be entertained.

Sier has played 12 games in a team that made the GF. Oliver has had 2 consistently good seasons as a teams number 1 mid copping hard tags and still dominating games.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

Yet Oliver eclispises him in every stat. He was also AA this year. I’ll be surprised if Sier is AA in next 2 years. I just can’t find the excitement stats though.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks

Sier is starting from a long long way back. Not sure how much upside you can have when your already one of the best mids in the comp.

His hands are incredible - that’s where he generates his excitement from.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
As Brisbane fan I obviously prefer Hipwood for retention reasons. On pure football ability/talent I'd take Curnow ahead of Hippy - Curnow is a far better contested mark and Hippy probably has better athleticism as he is ridiculously fast. But it certainly isn't as big a gap as some make out.

I think there is a fair gap between those two at this stage and McKay/Weideman. Weideman definitely had some great games at the end of last year but he's in a better situation (far better midfield and McDonald to draw attention), whereas Curnow and Hipwood are each team's focal point. Weideman could definitely pull himself into the conversation in the next 18 months- 2 years though.

I really rate Hipwood, still has high upside and growth

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Gresham will play a larger percentage of midfield next season. Top 5 from his draft as it stands but I believe once he moves into the midfield he’ll be close to top 2-3 - will be below Oliver however I think Gresh will be the more damaging mid-fwd of the two. Curnow will be a star.

RE Gresham midfield potential:
In his draft year of 2014, the Northern Knights captain averaged 29 disposals, 12 contested possessions and 146 SuperCoach points per game.

On numbers, he was the best-performed midfielder in the TAC Cup.

Gresham had regular AFL midfielders Clayton Oliver, Tom Phillips, Darcy Parish and Jacob Hopper covered.

Milera & Francis will surprise a few next season. Guns.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...layerStatus2=A&tid2=10&pid2=230&fid2=O&type=A

Last edited:

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Not sure you can say he reinvented anything when Cyril had been doing it for the best part of a decade. Richmond very much doubled down on speed and pressure but every side had 1 or 2 of those players already.

Rating Dan Rioli is very hard because he wasn't really ready to play in 2016 and was just doing bits and pieces. Then he wasn't at his best this year. So his best form is really an up and down 2017 with a great prelim.

I'd take Gresham over him because he's incredibly classy, capable of playing mid and forward and a goal kicker.

Himmelberg v Rioli is interesting because it gets in to the discussion on what a key forward and what an elite pressure forward are worth. Key forwards - particular those with nice all around games like Himmelberg are the type of player we've always told are vital and rare, but these days a gun small like Rioli might be even rarer and just as valuable. I'm a huge Himmelberg fan but I'd lean to Rioli there. I don't think he's top 5 but he's certainly top 10.
Fair enough in terms of value, but I dont see Himmelburg as a key position player. His strength is his versatility and he's great beneath his knees as well as good in the air.
Oversized midfielder is how the coaches view him.

Hipwood has the tools to be the best KPF in the comp, seriously impressive for a kdi who is still a rake.

With Curnow and Weiderman 2015 was ridiculously good for KPFs when you consider the struggles of other KPFs drafted high in recent years (Day, Boyd, Schache, McCartin, Patton)

Shazza_

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2018
Safeway carpark
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL
I'm confident Milera will bolt into most people's top 10 by the end of the year.

If I could pick the top 10 for their career as opposed to what they have achieved so far.

1. Mills (3)
2. Hipwood (14)
3. Oliver (4)
4. Milera (11)
5. Curnow (12)
6. Rioli (15)
7. Himmilberg (16)
8. Doedee (17)
9. Francis (6)
10. Wietering (1)

Phillips (58) is the bargain buy so far.
milera aint getting close to rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Back