Older Premiership Wins

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coasters

Rookie
Sep 30, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
This is a question/hopefully a start of a discussion for anyone who has had their team that has had premiership wins before they were born.

I am an Eagles supporter so have been able to watch all of our Premiership wins live and then multiple times on replay since. If you have had a premiership win before you were born, have you gone back and watch a replay of that game? Eg, Collingwood supporters that may have only been alive for the 1990 and 2010 premierships have you watched replays of 1902, 1903, 1910, 1917, 1919, 1927, 1928, 1929, 1930, 1935, 1936, 1953 and 1958?

Not much football games in full before the 1970's to find.
Clearly not watched our 1906,07,08, 1914, 1915, 1938, 1945 and 1947 premierships wins but some news reels of the two flags in 1940's I seen.
We had premiership drought from 1947 to 1968 so the 68 seen once or twice in grainy black and white footage.
1970 and 72 before my time too but watched them, not in full, but two of most famous games in the games history easy enough to track down on youtube.

Seen the 1979 grand final on tv live, 1981, 1982 and 1987 too. Went to the game for the 1995 premiership. So 8 of our premierships can watch one way or the other. Five of them I lived through the experience of following it live, Spoilt big time in my youth, now got to be more patient...lol.. The Carlton supporters in their 20's with no experience of success would be weird. They seen nothing but s**t two decades.

For Cats fans, here's most of the pre-2007 Premiership footage available to my knowledge:

1963 - good footage, commentary, clear vision of player numbers etc; here's the entire last quarter, when Geelong ran over the top of Hawthorn:

1952 - here's some newsreel footage, you can see the likes of Geoff Williams (B&F and BOG in the GF in his first season) Norm Sharp and Peter Pianto in action. There's also some amateur footage floating around the internet which is very shaky and hard to watch, its not on youtube though ..

'51 - decent footage, can make out most player numbers; Bernie Smith features a fair bit (and was clearly a cut above every other player on the ground that day):

1937 - I think I've seen a longer clip of this footage. It's not too bad given its age; player numbers can be difficult to make out

'31 - not the best footage, players are specks, jumper numbers illegible

not sure that any footage from 1925 exists ...

Channel 7 Melbourne used to play past grand finals in the weeks leading up to the start of the season during the 1970s.
I think maybe on a Sunday morning or after world of sport.
Can't remember if they were full games or not but ss footyfan points out, entire games before 1970 don't seem to exist any more.

Channel 7 Melbourne used to play past grand finals in the weeks leading up to the start of the season during the 1970s.
I think maybe on a Sunday morning or after world of sport.
Can't remember if they were full games or not but ss footyfan points out, entire games before 1970 don't seem to exist any more.

how old are you? it was called the footy marathon and it went all night until the gf coverage

shouldnt this be in the VFL/state league section?

it'd be quite a feat for anyone to watch every Port GF
I wasn't aware Port Adelaide was the greatest football team ever? :p
Please tell us more...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which one?

Port Adelaide Power
or
Port Adelaide Magpies

Or are you going to tell me they are the same team.

i'm going to tell you to google 2010 footy news and that you're an idiot bogan

how old are you? it was called the footy marathon and it went all night until the gf coverage

No, this was different to the footy marathon. Every Sunday Feb/March in the 1970s old grand finals were on ch7. We need someone older or with a better memory than me to know more about it.

Seen the ‘08, ‘13, ‘14 & ‘15 on live tv and multiple replays.

Before my time I have seen snippets of the ‘89 GF but haven’t really seen much before my time.

Born in 2000

Saw 17 live (and relived it many, many times)

Must have watched the 1980 GF (ON A VIDEO TAPE) over 100 times when I was really little, typically around lunchtime after ABC kids finished. Watching us win a flag so regularly shielded me from the reality of how s**t we actually were in the early 2000s.

Also watched the 74 GF multiple times, after DVDs properly killed off video tapes.

I reckon we had the 73 and maybe 67 and 69 but I could never really get into those because they were black and white. Just wasn’t appetising to 3yo me.

Only one before I was born, 12 since.
I have ‘61 on DVD, have watched and enjoyed it several times.
My old man, a die hard Don, loves teasing me, telling me he went to both the ‘61 and ‘71 GFs.

Born in 1970, alive for all of them except the first, but conscious of what was going on for the last 9, 1983 onwards...! Half a dozen night flags in there too...

In 2015, I watched all of them as a lead up to the GF. Hawthorn is the only team to have cracked the 24 hour mark in watching consecutive GF replays...!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back