Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Also looking at the 2018 draft I have mixed feelings.
Hately, O'Halloran, Hill and Briggs I'm very happy with, all address areas of need or represent great value at their selection.

I have concerns over Caldwells injury history, especially with our track record I think its a very high risk selection. Personally didn't rate Idun as a National Draft selection. Finally I don't see why we didn't match a bid for Walker, great forward marking target who is a hard worker in the forward 50 and would've cost us a pick in the 80's
Walker was probably just list balance I think.

Even if you see Langdon and Bonar and in more varied roles, we have Toby, Lloyd, De Boer, Daniels, Hill and further back Dylan and Jack Buckley as depth small forwards. Deledio probably plays as a HFF if he stays on the park as well.

Arguably better for Walker to go somewhere else to ply his trade.

combaning

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2009
AFL Club
GWS
Also looking at the 2018 draft I have mixed feelings.
Hately, O'Halloran, Hill and Briggs I'm very happy with, all address areas of need or represent great value at their selection.

I have concerns over Caldwells injury history, especially with our track record I think its a very high risk selection. Personally didn't rate Idun as a National Draft selection. Finally I don't see why we didn't match a bid for Walker, great forward marking target who is a hard worker in the forward 50 and would've cost us a pick in the 80's

Caldwell looks to be a safe pick, Hately too. O'Halloran for mine looks to be the best mid (or most potential/upside) of the 3 if he has the right attitude. Happy to take the risk on Hill, but am expecting (not hoping) to have trouble living in Sydney so far from WA and our relatively small indigenous player percentage as support. Briggs most happy as he looks in the Mummy mould with but he will need a few years in NEAFL. I too can't see Idun as a ND selection but happy to be proved wrong over time.

Good luck boys. Some of you will make it and others won't. There is always life after footy and the AFLPA look after them pretty well now (in-fact it is worth getting drafted just for these perks!).

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Walker was probably just list balance I think.

Even if you see Langdon and Bonar and in more varied roles, we have Toby, Lloyd, De Boer, Daniels, Hill and further back Dylan and Jack Buckley as depth small forwards. Deledio probably plays as a HFF if he stays on the park as well.

Arguably better for Walker to go somewhere else to ply his trade.
Walker plays different from all those guys, he's very De Goey like up forward, explosive lead, great hands and strong one-on-one. We don't currently have anyone in that mould, maybe Bonar but you'd prefer him in the guts.
Walker couldve been a relatively good replacement for Patton as our deepest forward target. None of the players listed could be that

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Caldwell looks to be a safe pick
Even if he had only had the 1 injury I'd disagree, soft tissue injuries for someone this young are never good, add on to that that he's done the other hamstring, a quad and a calf youre looking at a very short career for a player that relies on explosevness.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Walker plays different from all those guys, he's very De Goey like up forward, explosive lead, great hands and strong one-on-one. We don't currently have anyone in that mould, maybe Bonar but you'd prefer him in the guts.
Walker couldve been a relatively good replacement for Patton as our deepest forward target. None of the players listed could be that
At 187 cm I just cant see him playing the role Patton does.

Toby is the best contested mark in the comp isolated one on one deep forward. De Goey is classy and very good in that role but not at Toby's level, yet anyway.
We've also used Cog's successfully in that role, with Ward is another option.
It's opinion and I dont know much about Walker, I dont follow the TAC cup. If I see the academy kids play it's in the NEAFL team. Unless he's potentially at Toby's level I stand by mine though. I wish Walker well at the Hawks and we'll see how he goes.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
At 187 cm I just cant see him playing the role Patton does.

Toby is the best contested mark in the comp isolated one on one deep forward. De Goey is classy and very good in that role but not at Toby's level, yet anyway.
We've also used Cog's successfully in that role, with Ward is another option.
It's opinion and I dont know much about Walker, I dont follow the TAC cup. If I see the academy kids play it's in the NEAFL team. Unless he's potentially at Toby's level I stand by mine though. I wish Walker well at the Hawks and we'll see how he goes.
His height is irrelevant if you watch him, doesnt drop a mark. While he's most likely not going to reach Toby's level I doubt many young kids drafted will. I view it as we had a strong youngster in our Academy and would've lost a pick in the 80's for him, if he doesn't work out its easy enough to delist or trade him. He's younger and projects to be better than both Buckley's and Lloyd at the very least

Interesting insight into the pick trade with the Crows, amongst other things in the draft from Cal Twomey

How 2018's biggest draft shock almost didn't happen - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-29/how-2018s-biggest-draft-shock-almost-didnt-happen

Yep, quoting here because it gives a better perspective on what seemed like an overpay to me:

GWS had another crack. There was a level of transparency among the clubs early in the second round about the players on their radar, and they knew the Suns weren't moving up to grab Hill, who had been overlooked by local clubs Fremantle and the Eagles.

Hill's size and lack of running strength was a factor against him, and the Eagles were prioritising running midfielders at the draft.

But there was more to the Giants' play for 'Bobby'. They were worried the Crows would use pick 24 to bid for Academy ruckman Kieren Briggs, so wanted to eliminate that possibility.

That's why they perhaps gave up overs to move four spots up the order (they traded pick 28 and a future second-round pick to the Crows for pick 24 and a future fifth-round pick) but it allowed them to select Hill, and then comfortably match a Briggs bid in the 30s.

Because pick 28 was going to be wiped out by a Briggs bid, the Giants effectively gave away a future second-round pick for Hill.

It was a smart move and had a double pay-off

Similar to Sydney moving down a round next year to preserve pick 25, eventually James Rowbottom, we gave up a second round pick next year in order to upgrade pick 48 to pick 24 (instead of the apparent 28 to 24 upgrade) because it effectively downgraded Briggs from pick 28 to 48 by nullifying Adelaide's expected bid.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
His height is irrelevant if you watch him, doesnt drop a mark. While he's most likely not going to reach Toby's level I doubt many young kids drafted will. I view it as we had a strong youngster in our Academy and would've lost a pick in the 80's for him, if he doesn't work out its easy enough to delist or trade him. He's younger and projects to be better than both Buckley's and Lloyd at the very least

My initial reaction is I'm over taking AFL quality academy kids like Steele and Matt Kennedy, and then losing them in 2 years.
Our position is very different with the concession period ended though, and we niw have to husband talent like everyone else.
I trust the recruiting team in preferring Hill, time will tell.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I have full faith in Caruso.

He nailed EVERY pick last draft and watching him make moves for a player like Idun tells me that he will be a diamond in the rough
Pretty much this.

And with all the insight theyve shown as well.

One of the best if not the best draft team in club land.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Pretty much boiler plate presser.

I do like the way the club is dealing with Mummy. Supporting the person but not the action is the way to go in my view. Interesting to see if he does play and how many games. We wont have him for the Bombers and Eagles early on anyway.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Just wondering if anyone here knows much about West Sydney native Josh Green's involvement in football? It would appear he was set to join GWS's academy around the age of 13 but instead moved to the US and focused on basketball. The move is paying off because he's headed for the NBA in two years and is expected to be a top 10 draft pick but I'm more interested in his football background. Does anyone know which club he played junior football for in West Sydney? According to this reference, he was "the No. 1 prospect in his age group" as a footballer so he must have been pretty good! These days he's 6'6, has a 6'11 wingspan and is as athletic as any of the top American high school athletes; so you can imagine how much he would have dominated in Australian rules football as a youngster.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I was looking for this info as I thought the club would have gone into deficit for the Briggs selection, not a huge amount and I don't think any other club did the same

* The Giants went into deficit by 44 DVI points to match a bid for Academy prospect Kieren Briggs during the 2018 NAB AFL Draft, meaning 44 points will be deducted from their pick during the corresponding round of next year’s draft. As they have already traded away a future second-round selection in the 2019 draft, the points will be deducted from their third-round selection.

The draft picks the club has for next year assuming the same ladder positions
8 13 49 73 85 103 Total points 3059
#8 = Essendon 1st round
#73 = Carlton 5th round
A lot to happen but it seems to be similar points in total to 2017 draft at this stage but the key to next season IMO has to be securing the signatures of Kelly and Coniglio and hopefully before the season starts for both

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back