Prediction Best 22 for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think it’s going to happen but I’ll be pissed if the Hawks turn Scrimsook into a player.
I don't think he is anywhere near Burton level . Let's see how he ran in 2km time trial for them.

I guess where I am going with all this is that the AFL needs to also be responsible in developing and building a strong QLD AFL base.

I feel as an outside QLD kids should be off limits for all other Clubs.

Interestingly we have a QLD on our list.
There are 12 Queenslanders on our list of 46. Also 12 SA guys. Wouldn't be fair to keep every kid in QLD, just like you can't get every SA kid. Haven't picked our last 3 players yet, so could be a couple more local kids. Josh Jenkins is from the same QLD club as Jarrod Harbrow, Brayden Preuss and a couple other Suns Academy kids, Hermit Park in Townsville. The AFL just gave us $800K to develop kids, which the VIC media had a sook about.

Haven't counted the coaches yet, but I suspect there are more SA than QLD or at least the same. GC is unofficially the 3rd SA club!

Nice effort :thumbsu:...not sure about Day at FF....reckon he and Corbett might be fighting for that spot with the loser missing out and Sexton going into the forward line.... but a lot of water to go under the bridge yet...
Corbett strikes me as a third tall type. My opinion is that the better forward lines structure up with 2 keys (Wright and Day) with a third tall (Corbett) able to keep the aerial dominance up. More chance of bringing the ball to ground and enable the smalls to score (Ainsworth, Rankine etc). I’ve seen Day not rated on here but for a developing team you could do worse than a fit Day at FF. I think Sam’s problem in recent times has been more fitness than skill. Not sure but I think that front six would be more imposing for an opposition.

Corbett strikes me as a third tall type. My opinion is that the better forward lines structure up with 2 keys (Wright and Day) with a third tall (Corbett) able to keep the aerial dominance up. More chance of bringing the ball to ground and enable the smalls to score (Ainsworth, Rankine etc). I’ve seen Day not rated on here but for a developing team you could do worse than a fit Day at FF. I think Sam’s problem in recent times has been more fitness than skill. Not sure but I think that front six would be more imposing for an opposition.
If Sam Day fit he is in my team ,but if he struggle with Fitness no point having him but let him work his way in . Fitness are very important for playing 4 quarter of footy as a team .

For sure that’s the question. Hope he can repay GCs faith in 2019 and his body doesn’t let him down again.
I've got the feeling that incumbents will be given every chance to claim their places in round 1. Day was injured for all of 2017 and it affected his performance in 2018. That said, he did incredibly well to face the 1st or 2nd best key defender and chop out in the ruck. The knocks on him are that he doesn't kick bags of goals and can't mark, but the Suns are the worst team in the comp for marks inside forward 50 and he was our best in this stat. In 2019, we want more goals out of him, but as long as he provides a contest and brings the ball to ground we'll win games if we actually get the ball into goal range 15+ times a quarter.

Last edited:
Sam Day can take a great pluck but often runs under the ball and therefore gets outmarked
Think a key for our forwards is bring the ball to ground.
With Martin, ainsworth, ranking around we have other avenues to goals this year.

Good luck with Murdoch,admittedly not the coldest can in the fridge some days but honest as the days long,had a good year for us in 2017 and probably stiff not to get more games in 2018.Carrara I think will suit him with a bit more space to run around in,keep his role simple and he will be alright 20 goal season coming up.

Good luck with Murdoch,admittedly not the coldest can in the fridge some days but honest as the days long,had a good year for us in 2017 and probably stiff not to get more games in 2018.Carrara I think will suit him with a bit more space to run around in,keep his role simple and he will be alright 20 goal season coming up.
Sounds like maybe we've earmarked him for a run off half back style role.. will see how his decision making goes if he plays there. Agree he'll suit the ground and add some athletic abilities we don't have much of.

Sounds like maybe we've earmarked him for a run off half back style role.. will see how his decision making goes if he plays there. Agree he'll suit the ground and add some athletic abilities we don't have much of.
If he can get onto the left boot he's dangerous,but the type of player who must use the first option,thinking is his undoing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Day can take a great pluck but often runs under the ball and therefore gets outmarked
Think a key for our forwards is bring the ball to ground.
With Martin, ainsworth, ranking around we have other avenues to goals this year.
The fact is that there's 2 incumbent Key Forwards who are likely to start in Day and Wright, but Lukosius will be pushing Corbett for the 3rd tall role and if the 2 of them can both justify starting forward then the pressure is on Day. The question is, who chops out in the ruck? If Wright is kept out of the ruck then Day has to start, but if he isn't needed to back up in the ruck and his workrate doesn't improve then Day has to make way. Without putting the mockers on, there is a likelihood that injury and form will disrupt the make up of the forward line, but depth will mean that every lineup named has a high chance of kicking a competitive score.

Wildcards abound for the forward line, with King and Burgess able to swing forward, Rankine and Martin potentially a small forward combination that could devastate opponents, while Callum Ah Chee and Wil Powell are very talented kids who will also be looking to find their place up forward. Sexton should be the very first person chosen on the flank, but rather than Ainsworth I'm much more in favour of MacPherson in the pocket. Young and Lemmens also appear on the outer with fans, but we know that they are favoured by coaches so expect to see them in the pre-season.

The fact is that there's 2 incumbent Key Forwards who are likely to start in Day and Wright, but Lukosius will be pushing Corbett for the 3rd tall role and if the 2 of them can both justify starting forward then the pressure is on Day. The question is, who chops out in the ruck? If Wright is kept out of the ruck then Day has to start, but if he isn't needed to back up in the ruck and his workrate doesn't improve then Day has to make way. Without putting the mockers on, there is a likelihood that injury and form will disrupt the make up of the forward line, but depth will mean that every lineup named has a high chance of kicking a competitive score.

Wildcards abound for the forward line, with King and Burgess able to swing forward, Rankine and Martin potentially a small forward combination that could devastate opponents, while Callum Ah Chee and Wil Powell are very talented kids who will also be looking to find their place up forward. Sexton should be the very first person chosen on the flank, but rather than Ainsworth I'm much more in favour of MacPherson in the pocket. Young and Lemmens also appear on the outer with fans, but we know that they are favoured by coaches so expect to see them in the pre-season.

Is Day incumbent?
Was injured but didn't play for the last half of the year.
Wasn't setting the world on fire after his good start.
I think he is better in the ruck than Wright to be honest.

But yes, those are all our other forwards.

Is Day incumbent?
Was injured but didn't play for the last half of the year.
Wasn't setting the world on fire after his good start.
I think he is better in the ruck than Wright to be honest.

But yes, those are all our other forwards.
Sam Day is the incumbent in the sense that he's a foundation player and has played 110 games for the Suns. When he's fit, he plays. Same with Peter Wright. Sammy is 26 and could be primed for a comeback year, which would be great for the club. 2MP is 22 and primed for his breakout year as the true replacement number one forward. Wright is superior to Day in all but a couple of categories - games played and bounces - as a forward substantially and statistically as a ruck as well. I would just rather see Day in the ruck because we need Wright to be fit.

In defence of Day, he came back from injury in 2018 and hit or bettered most of his career averages. It isn't saying a lot because you'd expect a player to lay down better stats year after year, but he put in a year's rehab and got 12 games to show he's got a new foundation on which to rebuild. I see Day as the kind of wily KPP who gets better with age, a lot like Jarrad Waite, who polled 7 Brownlow votes this season in 13 games (21 in 60 games for North Melbourne, all in his 30s, after being told he was washed up). They aren't the same player type, I just see things coming together more for Sam with a full pre-season and a chance to build a playing partnership with 2MP - Ben Brown was a goal a game better with Waite than without (2 goals up to 3), while Waite was also a goal a game better than his career average when playing with Brown (1.5 up to 2.5). Those are the types of playing partnerships you need as a Key Forward and I think Day had to work with Lynch, Crossley, Wright, at various times when he had a proper KPP to partner with and he still chopped out in the ruck.

Sam Day is the incumbent in the sense that he's a foundation player and has played 110 games for the Suns. When he's fit, he plays. Same with Peter Wright. Sammy is 26 and could be primed for a comeback year, which would be great for the club. 2MP is 22 and primed for his breakout year as the true replacement number one forward. Wright is superior to Day in all but a couple of categories - games played and bounces - as a forward substantially and statistically as a ruck as well. I would just rather see Day in the ruck because we need Wright to be fit.

In defence of Day, he came back from injury in 2018 and hit or bettered most of his career averages. It isn't saying a lot because you'd expect a player to lay down better stats year after year, but he put in a year's rehab and got 12 games to show he's got a new foundation on which to rebuild. I see Day as the kind of wily KPP who gets better with age, a lot like Jarrad Waite, who polled 7 Brownlow votes this season in 13 games (21 in 60 games for North Melbourne, all in his 30s, after being told he was washed up). They aren't the same player type, I just see things coming together more for Sam with a full pre-season and a chance to build a playing partnership with 2MP - Ben Brown was a goal a game better with Waite than without (2 goals up to 3), while Waite was also a goal a game better than his career average when playing with Brown (1.5 up to 2.5). Those are the types of playing partnerships you need as a Key Forward and I think Day had to work with Lynch, Crossley, Wright, at various times when he had a proper KPP to partner with and he still chopped out in the ruck.
Ignoring any stats Sam day looks a better ruckman to me.
I don’t suppose you’ve got access to useful stats like %hta?

I am coming around more to the idea of bringing in King purely to play an intercepting role. Put him on the 3rd best forward and just let the man fly for his marks. Have Thompson and Hombsch/Collins play lockdown roles.
Good way to get him into the team and gain experience without getting his body bashed up.

Ignoring any stats Sam day looks a better ruckman to me.
I don’t suppose you’ve got access to useful stats like %hta?
I’m away from my computer, so can’t share right now. Ruck stats are the most elusive in the AFL. Last year, Tom Nicholls was rated among the top 20 ruckmen and Witts was nowhere to be found because of their comparative 2 previous years. Now Nicholls has fallen off the chart. Day missed 2017 so his stats aren’t easily found.
Wright has had a lot of chip out ruck work for a young guy, whereas Day wasn’t seriously put into the ruck until he was older than 2mp is now.

You’d expect waite to be a better player... and more goals.. considering his team now kicks goals and wins games of footy.

If your clubs only kicking 7 goals a game for 6 years.. ( Carlton )
the likely hood Waites goal tally would be very poor.

Compared to Norths 15-20 goals a game

You’d expect waite to be a better player... and more goals.. considering his team now kicks goals and wins games of footy.

If your clubs only kicking 7 goals a game for 6 years.. ( Carlton )
the likely hood Waites goal tally would be very poor.

Compared to Norths 15-20 goals a game
The same argument runs in Day's favour. Lynch + Day + Wright eventually delivered for Eade in terms of goals, notably when they kicked 4.1, 4.0 and 3.1 in the round 18, 2016 Freo game, but it just didn't last. In a 3 tall forward set up, Day was able to swing back at need, leaving Wright to play forward and chop out in the ruck. Day had arguably his best ever season, Lynch easily had his best season and Wright showed he was going to be something special. 2016's Suns were only 13 goals behind the Bulldogs in attack: remember who won the Flag that year?

That's why I think Day and Wright can play in the same team as Lukosius and King. Burgess will also be a good back up for Day should injury strike. Corbett also provides a medium marking forward who plays tall and Crossley has the challenge of developing into a ruck forward. Maybe Day winds up going back permanently, just like Justin Leppitsch did with All Australian honours. How good is it to have options?

The same argument runs in Day's favour. Lynch + Day + Wright eventually delivered for Eade in terms of goals, notably when they kicked 4.1, 4.0 and 3.1 in the round 18, 2016 Freo game, but it just didn't last. In a 3 tall forward set up, Day was able to swing back at need, leaving Wright to play forward and chop out in the ruck. Day had arguably his best ever season, Lynch easily had his best season and Wright showed he was going to be something special. 2016's Suns were only 13 goals behind the Bulldogs in attack: remember who won the Flag that year?

That's why I think Day and Wright can play in the same team as Lukosius and King. Burgess will also be a good back up for Day should injury strike. Corbett also provides a medium marking forward who plays tall and Crossley has the challenge of developing into a ruck forward. Maybe Day winds up going back permanently, just like Justin Leppitsch did with All Australian honours. How good is it to have options?

You can play as many tall forwards as limited by defensive pressure.
How mobile is Corbett?
Seems like his best attribute is marking, is he agile as well? Like Jack Gunston agile?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back