Toast Sydney Swans New Home Base

Remove this Banner Ad

Why build a ground at Randwick if our base is going to be at the SCG?

This means after the facility is built we have have to get on a bus to get to our training ground and then get on a bus back to recover. This doesn't make sense.

I know we will have the SCG to train on during the year after next year, but for preseason and other times when the SCG is unavailable for our players, having a ground not on the same complex as where the new facility will be based seems stupid imo.
Due to changes by the light rail our current training ground is impacted badly.

And we’ve had no incidents with trams in the past...oh wait

PrattonCrutches.jpg

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2018-11-21/lakeside-oval-set-for-major-boost

The Sydney Swans’ training ground, Lakeside Oval, is set to receive a major boost, with the venue being guaranteed a multimillion-dollar upgrade. The development, announced by the NSW Government, will see the venue increased to the dimensions of Melbourne’s Marvel Stadium, while the playing surface will also be improved. Supporters travelling to SCG home games will also be better off, with the public-transport interchange to be relocated and improved, while safer lighting is set to be installed.

Great news. Finally a suitable oval for pre season training

What happened to the plan to build an oval in the middle of Randwick Racecourse, or did that fall through?

What happened to the plan to build an oval in the middle of Randwick Racecourse, or did that fall through?

The DA was still proceeding last time I checked.

If it goes ahead we will have a Marvel stadium sized field and an MCG sized field. Pretty handy.

It fell through. I heard, albeit third hand, whoever it is that controls the racetrack had a change of mind at the last minute and decided not to give approval. Not to worry though, this seems like a far superior option given it is literally on the doorstep of the SCG and our new headquarters.

It fell through. I heard, albeit third hand, whoever it is that controls the racetrack had a change of mind at the last minute and decided not to give approval. Not to worry though, this seems like a far superior option given it is literally on the doorstep of the SCG and our new headquarters.

It's a much better option IMO, the fact that they're relocating the bus interchange and installing better lighting is a big plus.

For some reason I did not know until I read that article that the Swans are going to be sharing the SCG with the NRL next season. I checked and there are 10 NRL games at the SCG next year. How do you think that is going to affect things? It also probably means most games we are going to be seeing faded NRL field markings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For some reason I did not know until I read that article that the Swans are going to be sharing the SCG with the NRL next season. I checked and there are 10 NRL games at the SCG next year. How do you think that is going to affect things? It also probably means most games we are going to be seeing faded NRL field markings.

Is what it is.

I believe that unlike the Homebush stadium deal, we have priority at the SCG which should mean that we play on the SCG before the NRL.

and 3 A-League matches for Sydney FC plus their finals and 3 Super Rugby matches for the NSW Waratahs and their finals as well.

So the middle of the ground will be chopped up. Better hope it doesn't rain

and 3 A-League matches for Sydney FC plus their finals and 3 Super Rugby matches for the NSW Waratahs and their finals as well.

So the middle of the ground will be chopped up. Better hope it doesn’t rain
Based on our previous dry v’s Wet weather game day record I’m sure we’ll be fine:droplet::shower::closedumbrella::p

Do you know if it was just Randwick? Because GWS were getting Warwick farm for use as well.

Do you know if it was just Randwick? Because GWS were getting Warwick farm for use as well.
Sorry, I don’t for sure. The impression I got was that it was specific to Randwick but I didn’t think to ask. Do Randwick and Warwick Farm have different Boards, or Trustees, or whatever the controlling body is? If so then it would be Randwick only.

Sorry, I don’t for sure. The impression I got was that it was specific to Randwick but I didn’t think to ask. Do Randwick and Warwick Farm have different Boards, or Trustees, or whatever the controlling body is? If so then it would be Randwick only.
I understood it was with the body that controls both. Might have to ask our kin over on the GWS board.

I understood it was with the body that controls both. Might have to ask our kin over on the GWS board.

There used to be different bodies that controlled the two tracks (Australian Jockey Club and Sydney Turf Club), they merged a few years ago (to form the Australian Turf Club). So it is the same body in charge of both. Personally I think it is a crappy industry and I'm happy that we aren't involved with them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back