Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Last edited:

Skeparovic

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Ha ha ha the boys in Town Hall aren't that happy with Swans exploiting a legal loophole that Ken Wood ticked off and approved pre-draft.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-27/sydneys-crafty-draft-move-may-be-outlawed

Jeez I hope Blakey gets a good run at it next year in Seniors. Nice to see a highlights reel without multiple turnovers for once.

Least this time they won't be able put another trade ban on for following the AFL's own darn rules!!!

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Ha ha ha the boys in Town Hall aren't that happy with Swans exploiting a legal loophole that Ken Wood ticked off and approved pre-draft.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-27/sydneys-crafty-draft-move-may-be-outlawed

Jeez I hope Blakey gets a good run at it next year in Seniors. Nice to see a highlights reel without multiple turnovers for once.

Least this time they won't be able put another trade ban on for following the AFL's own darn rules!!!
So the same as last time?

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
And it was made even more special by the fact Gold Coast traded up to get the South Australian teenager, exchanging picks with West Coast to ensure it got its man.

"I was on the brink of the Thursday pick, so when I didn't get picked up, Thursday night was a sleepless night," McLennan told AFL.com.au.

"I was happy to get picked up anyway, but for them to trade up it meant a bit more.

"A couple of other clubs were interested as well, and these guys were my number one preference and had been most of the year, so I was rapt."

McLennan, who played five games for Central Districts in the SANFL as well as winning under-18 All Australian honours this year, was courted by a number of clubs.

He said the contact between himself and manager John Meesen was constant.

"He kept me reasonably calm. I was freaking out a bit," McLennan said.

"I heard Gold Coast were talking to him and the Swans were keen as well.

"Sydney had pick 25 and the Suns had pick 27.

"Gold Coast rung my manager to ask if the Swans were keen and he said they were, so that's when they made the deal to move up. That's how it got done."

When his name flashed up to Gold Coast, McLennan got an immediate call from Suns coach Stuart Dew and admitted he "broke down and got pretty emotional" with excitement.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-28/they-were-my-no1-preference-draftee-happy-at-suns

Could not have known it at the time but it looks like the reason Gold Coast traded up (for West Coast's pick) was because of us, so they could get McLennan before us.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler

They wouldn't know.
They base everything on what has happened & not on what is happening.
The Swans are preparing Champion Data's ranking figures for next year as we speak, with the work we are putting into our youngsters.
Then they'll get their after the fact 'expert' on SEN & FOX Footy to tell everyone how we are rated number 2 or 3 again.

This is absolute meaningless data designed for the punters out there.

If we did not balls up our 2009 season then we would have smashed that record as it would have been 2004 to 2018

Maybe though I think that 2009 season helped shape the 2012 flag

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
They wouldn't know.
They base everything on what has happened & not on what is happening.
The Swans are preparing Champion Data's ranking figures for next year as we speak, with the work we are putting into our youngsters.
Then they'll get their after the fact 'expert' on SEN & FOX Footy to tell everyone how we are rated number 2 or 3 again.

This is absolute meaningless data designed for the punters out there.
Indeed. The data is based primarily on list age, experience, player ranking and just one grey area that is the most important of the lot, potential. In other words they are predicting if a you g group of players will take the next step. This prediction usually relies on draft position and first year form. Not a very good indicator really with sides like Carlton, who had so many first round draft picks, who managed to get it so wrong.

It's all Fairy Floss

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Unfortunately we haven't made the most of our finals appearances... Taking GF wins away and looking purely at finals appearances, we are the most dominant team for the past 20 years. It's just a shame when you do take into consideration the amount of chances we have missed out.

I'd rate "that" Lions team as the best I've ever seen & they don't even make that list (surprisingly).

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
The way I see that ladder is with the only team ahead of us being West Coast as all other streaks were part of the VFL era with less clubs.
What is impressive about our streak is that it has mostly been with the extra two teams in the competition & with extra travel.

melbournehammer

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
The way I see that ladder is with the only team ahead of us being West Coast as all other streaks were part of the VFL era with less clubs.
What is impressive about our streak is that it has mostly been with the extra two teams in the competition & with extra travel.

actually there is another way of looking at it which suggests that the performance is less good.

VFL was final 5 from 12 teams and also 4 from 12. The afl has been 8 from 16. in percentage terms you are an even chance in the modern era. It was significantly harder to make it in the past.

Jun 27, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sturt
actually there is another way of looking at it which suggests that the performance is less good.

VFL was final 5 from 12 teams and also 4 from 12. The afl has been 8 from 16. in percentage terms you are an even chance in the modern era. It was significantly harder to make it in the past.

Ha this is one of my favourite bugbears, treating AFL and VFL as equivalents. National professional 18-team comp vs amateur suburban comp. They really should be treated separately in all stats including premierships.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler

True.
11 Vic teams that traveled once or twice a year against two teams, WC & Swans that traveled 11 times per year, throws a different light on it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back