mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
So in other words he was solid without doing anything to really stand out?

I’m not sure why that means he’s not up to AFL standard 10 games in to his career...?
To be AFL standard you have to have a point of difference and so far Appleby doesn’t have one at AFL level.

ClaytonM

Premiership Player
Jan 20, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
To be AFL standard you have to have a point of difference and so far Appleby doesn’t have one at AFL level.

Appleby was solid in his first handful of games. I would argue as solid as Maynard. There is plenty of scope for him to develop and improve with experience. Whether he capable of holding down a full time position in our lineup may be as much about competition for spots as it is his ability to make it a AFL level.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
If nothing else, IQ adds pressure on spots in the team.

How many players have some significant point of difference in their first 10 games, aside from maybe the top 10-20 picks each year?

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός

I'd argue being our only actual lock down defender qualifies as a point of difference.

Because outside Maynard who only VERY late started to beat opponents in one on one contests with any kind of regularity, Appleby is our only defender with an actual legitimate ability to...you know, defend.

Goldsack does the job when not put outside his weight division.

mike123

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
How many players have some significant point of difference in their first 10 games, aside from maybe the top 10-20 picks each year?
Generally most have a few attributes that stick out.

mike123

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
I'd argue being our only actual lock down defender qualifies as a point of difference.

Because outside Maynard who only VERY late started to beat opponents in one on one contests with any kind of regularity, Appleby is our only defender with an actual legitimate ability to...you know, defend.

The problem is Appleby hasn’t shut down anyone of note yet, so I wouldn’t consider it a point of difference until he does.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός
The problem is Appleby hasn’t shut down anyone of note yet, so I wouldn’t consider it a point of difference until he does.

wait what?

Let's not pretend Apples is a full back.

If you look at Collingwood's proud history of turnung nothing players into superstars for ONE week, Appleby is exactly the sort of defender we need. He's the guy that shuts down any potential threat from a no name forward that decides to have a day in the sun ONLY against Collingwood.

I'm completely ok with that.

It's hard ot beat someone of "note" when you're the 6th defender in your team. How many teams have 6 forwards you have to worry about? I feel like we're the only team with 6 dangerous 4 goal plus forwards. Cox, Elliott, De Goey, Hoskin-Elliott, Mihocek, Stephenson, Thomas. Make that 7.

Crisp plays very attackingly, but he's magnificent in a one on one contest. I'd back Howe in a one on one against most blokes in the league.

You can only play on the opponent you’re given. Pretty unfair to say something like that tbh.

kallangur pie

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Crisp plays very attackingly, but he's magnificent in a one on one contest. I'd back Howe in a one on one against most blokes in the league.
You are correct they both very good 1 on 1 players with good disposal generally but they are both over a hundred games in not less than ten with should be a big consideration.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

So every team fields developing players then.

Can you let us know his opponent breakdown across those 9 games and what they were able to do while he was opposed to them?

mike123

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
So every team fields developing players then.

Can you let us know his opponent breakdown across those 9 games and what they were able to do while he was opposed to them?
Can you?

mike123

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
You can only play on the opponent you’re given. Pretty unfair to say something like that tbh.
And maybe the opponents he was given is reflective of his current ability?

mike123

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
I'm not the one making outlandish claims like he's beaten nobody of note.
So you think my claim is outlandish?

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
So you think my claim is outlandish?

So to summarise, you've got no idea who his opponents were, yet they weren't noteworthy, but he's still managed to keep them quiet irrespective of their noteworthiness. Got ya.

mike123

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
So to summarise, you've got no idea who his opponents were, yet they weren't noteworthy, but he's still managed to keep them quiet irrespective of their noteworthiness. Got ya.
If you provide some evidence he shut down some one good, I’ll concede. Otherwise I’m going to continue believe he’s shut down ability isn’t anything special atm.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
If you provide some evidence he shut down some one good, I’ll concede. Otherwise I’m going to continue believe he’s shut down ability isn’t anything special atm.

Because you don't rate the players he's shut down despite not knowing who they are.... Right.

Provide me with a list of those you don't rate already shut down opponents and I'll make a case for 1 of them that I do.

mike123

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Because you don't rate the players he's shut down despite not knowing who they are.... Right.
If they were any good the I’d remember because everyone with a hard on for him would constantly bring them up. So until proven otherwise I’ll back myself in.