Best you've seen live

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve been to a fair bit of cricket (exclusively at the SCG) but unfortunately haven’t seen a lot of remarkable performances. Younis Khan two summers ago stands out a bit, I saw the tail end of tendulkar’s 248*, and I guess watching a little bit of Darren Bravo is as close as I’ve come to seeing Lara.

Dennis Lillee later that summer took 5/84 on debut against England, regarded at the time as the best team in the world, and there was Barry Richards treating him like a pedestrian medium pacer. The mind boggles what he could have achieved over 100 Tests.

I've watched that clip a couple of times now. One word keeps coming to mind - TIME. He seems to have a ridiculous amount of time to play the ball. How comfortable he is playing back to Lillee and effortlessly putting him, well, pretty much anywhere. I'm co-nvinced now completely.

In one of Alan McGilvray's books (so mid-1980s) he had a chapter on how often he'd been asked who was the best batsman or bowler he'd seen. I remember being surprised that he'd nominated Barry Richards as the one guy he thought could have seriously challenged Bradman. He wrote he was closer to that extra bit of time than anyone he'd seen bar Bradman. Now I've seen that footage, I would say, yep.

As I never saw him, I'd nominate Lara and Viv Richards as my two best. Viv I think was the most destructive, and when he was on, just unstoppable. But even Michael Holding said he did get bored, which is why he only reached 200 three times in tests (and two of those were in his early years). Lara perhaps not quite so intimidating, but more hungry for big scores, and when his brain was plugged in (as Ian Chappell has said), he had a certainty about his scoring. He rarely lofted the ball unless he was using his feet to spinners, and his placement was always superb.

I've watched that clip a couple of times now. One word keeps coming to mind - TIME. He seems to have a ridiculous amount of time to play the ball. How comfortable he is playing back to Lillee and effortlessly putting him, well, pretty much anywhere. I'm co-nvinced now completely.

In one of Alan McGilvray's books (so mid-1980s) he had a chapter on how often he'd been asked who was the best batsman or bowler he'd seen. I remember being surprised that he'd nominated Barry Richards as the one guy he thought could have seriously challenged Bradman. He wrote he was closer to that extra bit of time than anyone he'd seen bar Bradman. Now I've seen that footage, I would say, yep.

As I never saw him, I'd nominate Lara and Viv Richards as my two best. Viv I think was the most destructive, and when he was on, just unstoppable. But even Michael Holding said he did get bored, which is why he only reached 200 three times in tests (and two of those were in his early years). Lara perhaps not quite so intimidating, but more hungry for big scores, and when his brain was plugged in (as Ian Chappell has said), he had a certainty about his scoring. He rarely lofted the ball unless he was using his feet to spinners, and his placement was always superb.

Let's face it, if you're being compared with Lara or Viv, you're in pretty good company.

One thing to consider when comparing Lara and Viv is the strengths of the West Indian bowling attacks at the time they played. I can't recall who said this, but the feeling is Viv could have scored more runs than he did, but the West Indies didn't need a lot of runs to win a Test match. Viv would be more attacking early and more likely to get out, and when he did make runs (150, etc), the Windies generally already had enough runs. Lara needed to dig in and get as many as possible to give them any chance of victory. Viv was brutal, I loved the way he would pull quick bowlers on the front foot, but if you prefer the aesthetics, Lara would get my nod. Would be nice to have a choice :)

Back to Barry Richards. I've posted this before, but I had the rare pleasure of bowling to him. You saw how easily he handled Dennis Lillee, you can imagine what he did my bowling :) I've posted this elsewhere, but Coca-Cola brought Richards and Greg Chappell to our school for a cricket clinic, and I was lucky to be chosen to bowl to them.

The thing that amazed me about Richards was how quickly he was able to pick up the line and length of the delivery. It felt as though the ball was still leaving my fingers and he was already moving into position to play his shot. His foot work was sublime. It was as though he almost had time to light a cigarette, take a puff, stamp it out, and then play his shot.

The entire idea from Richards was teach proper practice techniques, how to use the nets, and how to occupy the crease. He could teach contemporary players a thing or two.

It's a hard one.

I will go with Warne. The player that had the most influence on matches that I can recall.

When I think about the great players that I have seen, I feel pretty lucky.

Could have easily picked Viv Richards, Dennis Lillee, Michael Holding, Brian Lara, Sachin Tendulkar... they are all in the same stratosphere.

Special mention to David Gower. He is not in the same rarified air as those others, but so many overseas players struggled at the WACA. I was fortunate to see him score 2 test hundreds.

The first as a 21 year old when he scored 102 in a partnership of 158 with Geoff Boycott. The only time that England won a test at the WACA.

The second was 8 years later and he scored 136. His cover drive is probably my single favourite thing in cricket.

Sadly, most memories of Sobers at Test level were witnessed on TV, including his 254 for the World XI at the MCG.

Was that the series where Lillee was just starting and he was bowling thunder bolts and the batsman were jumping all over the place?

If so Tony Grieg said Sobers played one of the best innings he has seen during that series.

I actually did see Sobers play live but only at a festival match after he had retired and don’t really remember it, I was very young.

Left-field suggestion- Shane Bond. Strike rate of 28, and had incredible accuracy and consistency for a bowler of his speed. Was crippled by injuries, but he was absolutely dominant when he was fit.

At his best, he was brilliant. His best did not last very long though.

At his best, he was brilliant. His best did not last very long though.
He had a long career (2002 to 2010 at international level), but it was filled with gaps and time away from the game- which is very impressive in my opinion, as his remodeled action which relief more so on accuracy and seam than pace, was just as effective :thumbsu:

Let's face it, if you're being compared with Lara or Viv, you're in pretty good company.

One thing to consider when comparing Lara and Viv is the strengths of the West Indian bowling attacks at the time they played. I can't recall who said this, but the feeling is Viv could have scored more runs than he did, but the West Indies didn't need a lot of runs to win a Test match. Viv would be more attacking early and more likely to get out, and when he did make runs (150, etc), the Windies generally already had enough runs. Lara needed to dig in and get as many as possible to give them any chance of victory. Viv was brutal, I loved the way he would pull quick bowlers on the front foot, but if you prefer the aesthetics, Lara would get my nod. Would be nice to have a choice :)

Back to Barry Richards. I've posted this before, but I had the rare pleasure of bowling to him. You saw how easily he handled Dennis Lillee, you can imagine what he did my bowling :) I've posted this elsewhere, but Coca-Cola brought Richards and Greg Chappell to our school for a cricket clinic, and I was lucky to be chosen to bowl to them.

The thing that amazed me about Richards was how quickly he was able to pick up the line and length of the delivery. It felt as though the ball was still leaving my fingers and he was already moving into position to play his shot. His foot work was sublime. It was as though he almost had time to light a cigarette, take a puff, stamp it out, and then play his shot.

The entire idea from Richards was teach proper practice techniques, how to use the nets, and how to occupy the crease. He could teach contemporary players a thing or two.
Really enjoyed reading this post, POTY for mine!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was that the series where Lillee was just starting and he was bowling thunder bolts and the batsman were jumping all over the place?

If so Tony Grieg said Sobers played one of the best innings he has seen during that series.

Sure was. Not only that, he got Sobers out for a duck in Perth when he took 8-29. And apparently was seriously scary fast too.

Fortunately there's some footage of that Sobers knock too.

I saw Malcolm Marshall bowling at Adelaide Oval when I was a little kid. Sitting side on I could not believe how far back the keeper was and also how short the time was between ball release and it thwacking into the keeper's gloves.

Kumar Sangakkara.
Tho i got him out a few times but i have a gut feeling that it was because i was a 5 year old at the time and i owned the bat and the ball.
I got Sangakkara out a couple of times :) Net bowling before a test in Adelaide a while back. He made 180 odd in Hobart just after that. The Aussies couldn't get one past him and only got him out caught off the helmet in the end. I didn't see what the big deal was

I saw Malcolm Marshall bowling at Adelaide Oval when I was a little kid. Sitting side on I could not believe how far back the keeper was and also how short the time was between ball release and it thwacking into the keeper's gloves.

I got Sangakkara out a couple of times :) Net bowling before a test in Adelaide a while back. He made 180 odd in Hobart just after that. The Aussies couldn't get one past him and only got him out caught off the helmet in the end. I didn't see what the big deal was
The old nets at Adelaide were great, you could sit right behind the batsmen and get a real appreciation of both how quick the bowlers were and how quick the batsmen's footwork could be.

great thread, got me thinking about the best duel you have seen live in test cricket. For me it has to be Warne v Lara on a day 5 pitch at the gabba.
Three adrenaline rushing memories from Adelaide Oval for me.

Ian Bishop's spell at he end of Day 1 in 1992-93. The Windies got dismissed and had a few overs to bowl until stumps. Got an early wicket from memory and Justin Langer came in at 3 on debut. This was before Bishop's back injury and he was QUICK. Pinged Langer in the helmet and he was wobbly for quite a while after. Hostile stuff and a turbo charged atmosphere.

Second Ashes test, 2010-11. I'm quite good friends with Damian Hough and this was his first test as head curator after Les Burdett retired. He was pretty nervy as you'd imagine. First there was furore in the lead up when a sudden unexpected rain patch affected the practice wickets and the England team couldn't train. The groundstaff got caught on the hop and understandably prioritised covering the match strip. Kevin Pietersen blew up in the press about it.

Then the game started. Massive crowd. Simon Katich gets run out for a diamond on the 4th ball of the test. Ponting nicks off next ball and the England players make a beeline for the scoreboard hill where the Barmy Army are going ballistic. Third over Clarke nicks off - same reaction. Amazing atmosphere. Australia 3/2. One curator shitting bricks!

Last one I remember was Wahab Riaz bowling GAS to the Aussies in the World Cup. The rest of the game I barely recall but this spell certainly got the blood pumping.

Best individual performance I saw with the ball was Shaun Tait taking 7 or 8-for in a one dayer vs Tassie. Was scary quick. By the end the dirty white ball was reverse swinging nastily and stumps were going down everywhere.

Best with the bat was Adam Gilchrist in the 1995-96 Shield final. We had WA 7/291 and they ended up with 9/520 declared, Gilchrist 189*. Just kept pinging balls to the fence or popping them up into the Chappell Stands where I was sitting, which were those temporary ones in front of the Vic Richardson gates - well before the redevelopment.

The old nets at Adelaide were great, you could sit right behind the batsmen and get a real appreciation of both how quick the bowlers were and how quick the batsmen's footwork could be.
I stood behind a net watched Murali bowl by himself for half an hour. You could almost hear the ball humming as it came down the wicket. He put a leaf on a good length and would barely have landed one more than a few inches from it. Spinning it both ways too. Was mesmerising

Lara for mine . Just a freak of a player . So much time , looked a level or two above the other test players .

We played Dave Houghton ( ex Zimbabwe captain ) in a league one dayer .
Dispatched our opening bowler for 6 first ball of the game and our bowler was no slouch , he could get them through ok .
Made a breezy 80 in 9 overs . Was brilliant to watch , the ease of his batting at his age against decent league bowling was incredible .

Three adrenaline rushing memories from Adelaide Oval for me.

Ian Bishop's spell at he end of Day 1 in 1992-93. The Windies got dismissed and had a few overs to bowl until stumps. Got an early wicket from memory and Justin Langer came in at 3 on debut. This was before Bishop's back injury and he was QUICK. Pinged Langer in the helmet and he was wobbly for quite a while after. Hostile stuff and a turbo charged atmosphere.

Second Ashes test, 2010-11. I'm quite good friends with Damian Hough and this was his first test as head curator after Les Burdett retired. He was pretty nervy as you'd imagine. First there was furore in the lead up when a sudden unexpected rain patch affected the practice wickets and the England team couldn't train. The groundstaff got caught on the hop and understandably prioritised covering the match strip. Kevin Pietersen blew up in the press about it.

Then the game started. Massive crowd. Simon Katich gets run out for a diamond on the 4th ball of the test. Ponting nicks off next ball and the England players make a beeline for the scoreboard hill where the Barmy Army are going ballistic. Third over Clarke nicks off - same reaction. Amazing atmosphere. Australia 3/2. One curator shitting bricks!

Last one I remember was Wahab Riaz bowling GAS to the Aussies in the World Cup. The rest of the game I barely recall but this spell certainly got the blood pumping.

Best individual performance I saw with the ball was Shaun Tait taking 7 or 8-for in a one dayer vs Tassie. Was scary quick. By the end the dirty white ball was reverse swinging nastily and stumps were going down everywhere.

Best with the bat was Adam Gilchrist in the 1995-96 Shield final. We had WA 7/291 and they ended up with 9/520 declared, Gilchrist 189*. Just kept pinging balls to the fence or popping them up into the Chappell Stands where I was sitting, which were those temporary ones in front of the Vic Richardson gates - well before the redevelopment.
The 95/96 final was amazing. You can see the back of my head in Barry Gibbs' book in the photo of Siddons holding the Shield over his head.

Lara. His placement was phenomenal. It was as if there weren't any fielders there at all.

When I was a kid I think I attended about 10 or 11 matches between Australia and the West Indies between about 1977 and 1985. Back then these were probably the two best teams in the world and I could probably name a dozen players from both, but I'm going to select my all time favourite non Australian player, Sir Clive Lloyd. As a fellow leftie I so wanted to bat like him, but I didn't have the height or the power and I didn't own a five pound bat to swing around.

It's Sir Clive's 76th birthday today, August 31. Happy Birthday Mr Lloyd.

Hard to split between Amla and ABDV, was there at the WACA for their big partnership a few years back.

Watching live I'd say Amla shaded him. Everything he played that day was just pure class.

That was a remarkable test. SA were 6/75 just after lunch on the first day, and yet before the end of the third day, had set Australia a target of 632. Remarkable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back