Remove this Banner Ad

JJHunter

Club Legend
Jan 15, 2008
Toorak
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thought Id get the feeling of the room.

Personally I'd rather see Wood get back to 2015 form and get himself on the park so Im all for moving the captaincy on.

It might also help move people on from comparing the side to 2016 premiership side if its a new era with a new leader.

This is the perfect scenario to have co-captains in 2019. Bont is a once in a generation player and leader. We know how good a player he is, but he speaks so well in the media and probably to his teammates too, his leadership seems mighty as well.
Wood is now Bulldog royalty, but could be slowing playing wise?? Easton is also a great leader, but sharing the load of leadership would free any anxiety as a player. Co-captains 2019 and possibly 2020 then the Bont.

Cant have a skipper that is constantly injured.As many have pointed out ,costing us games being a man down early.
Wood must get his body right , a stronger
priority than being skipper.Will always be
the skipper of a premiership side anyway.
Right time to move forward with the next
generation.Bont is the future.

Personally, I'd like to see Bont and Hunter as co-captains. I get the hype behind Bont, but I still feel that Hunter is the better choice for captain in the first place, while Bont would be very unlucky to miss out. Having co-captains has worked great for other clubs so I don't see why not for us

Bont. This team is built around him, our core group are around his age. Let him lead. Let Wood go back to getting the hang of playing defence again after we stuffed him around last off season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's always looked to be in great condition, but Wood has had too many soft tissue injuries for someone so naturally athletic. But from pics from the first few days of pre-season, he looks in fantastic condition so hopefully his body stays healthy. Ideally we need to get him back into an interceptor role, since 2016 he's had to be a more accountable defender & taking a bigger body due to others that couldn't get onto the park.

Happy to have him as captain still personally, although on the other hand allowing him to focus more on his game & body wouldn't hurt (punny). Bont is ready any time though.

Woody 2019
Bontempelli 2020

That's just my opinion anyway. Bontempelli needs to focus more on getting his body right, and being a consistent player so he plays at his full potential and not in cameos, so he is one of the top 5 players in the league on form not potential. Once he finds both, then you can distract him with the captaincy.

Its great that we have such characters at the Bulldogs now. Both outstanding ambassadors for our club. There was a time not so long ago where we had a very reluctant captain.
Beyond Bont, into the future we have guys like Dunkley and Naughton who could be future captains? And current leaders like McCrae and Wallis and Moz.

Its great that we have such characters at the Bulldogs now. Both outstanding ambassadors for our club. There was a time not so long ago where we had a very reluctant captain.
Beyond Bont, into the future we have guys like Dunkley and Naughton who could be future captains? And current leaders like McCrae and Wallis and Moz.
Not sure about Dunkley but I could never see Macrae as captain. Don’t think he’s the captain type.

Back