2018 Draft thread

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I’ve heard that next year is a Super Draft.

I've heard it is able to leap normal drafts in a single bound

i think we can still add to our list and bring in some good players with those kinds of picks.

Richmond drafted Rance at 17. We drafted Berry at 16.

Top five pick? We don't need no stinkin' top five pick

Poor top end but there's gold in the late first round, early second round.
Because of this the AFL is considering next year's first round draft, picks to go in reverse order. So pick 18 will become pick 1 next year.

werdna78

All Australian
Sep 29, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fulham Football Club
Apparently the main reason Beams was given 4 years at the Pies is because they couldn't fit him in the salary cap if he got the same money he was on with us over the next 2 years so they spread the payment over 4 years to fit him in.

We don't have our own first rounder next season that belongs to the Dockers... I think:huh:
2019-
588931_0adf0445d077ca4a5052461c6bd1ff52.png
Still got some good points there though. Could be another good draft.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Apparently the main reason Beams was given 4 years at the Pies is because they couldn't fit him in the salary cap if he got the same money he was on with us over the next 2 years so they spread the payment over 4 years to fit him in.

We don't have our own first rounder next season that belongs to the Dockers... I think:huh:
2019-
588931_0adf0445d077ca4a5052461c6bd1ff52.png

Geez Saint Kilda really are s**t at everything. But GWS, that’s a good operation. Amazing list and always a strong draft hand as well.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

pauldrc

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner Brisbane Lions - Charlie Cameron Player Sponsor 2020 Dream Team Club Board Winner Brisbane Lions - Charlie Cameron Player Sponsor 2019 Brisbane Lions - Hugh McCluggage Player Sponsor 2018 Brisbane Lions - Hugh McCluggage Player Sponsor 2017 Brisbane Lions - Allen Christensen Player Sponsor 2016 Brisbane Lions - Dayne Beams Player Sponsor 2015 Brisbane Lions - Pearce Hanley Player Sponsor 2014 Brisbane Lions - 2013 Elliot Yeo Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - 2013 Daniel Rich Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2012 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2011 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Brisbane 2010 Player Sponsor
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GC Suns
GC have also managed to do pretty well this year and next year (so far....).

So we picked up some fast agile players that can win their own ball and work in traffic any reason they can't provide run and carry?

So we picked up some fast agile players that can win their own ball and work in traffic any reason they can't provide run and carry?

First year players could do it too, but I'm hoping the answer comes from Cox, Bailey, Allison and Witherden. 2nd and 3rd year players who can hold their own against opposition.

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
First year players could do it too, but I'm hoping the answer comes from Cox, Bailey, Allison and Witherden. 2nd and 3rd year players who can hold their own against opposition.

I think Christensen makes a move to the back half next season too. Confident we have the solution to our run and carry already on the list.

I think Christensen makes a move to the back half next season too. Confident we have the solution to our run and carry already on the list.
He is very smart in the back half. Seems to get more time and space allowing him to use the ball better. I like the idea of him down there more permanently.

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He is very smart in the back half. Seems to get more time and space allowing him to use the ball better. I like the idea of him down there more permanently.
offensively he is what we need. Defensively not so much. Can't see how having Rich, Witherden and Bundy down back will be any good. Witherden still a work in progress so he gets a pass for now as long as he shows improvement in that area.

offensively he is what we need. Defensively not so much. Can't see how having Rich, Witherden and Bundy down back will be any good. Witherden still a work in progress so he gets a pass for now as long as he shows improvement in that area.

I've actually thought Rich's defensive work has been pretty good the last 2 years. He is decent one on one, chases hard and tackles pretty well. It's been his offensive game that hasn't been what it was before but I think defensively he's been solid

I've actually thought Rich's defensive work has been pretty good the last 2 years. He is decent one on one, chases hard and tackles pretty well. It's been his offensive game that hasn't been what it was before but I think defensively he's been solid

I agree. Most of what has been attributed to him as poor defending largely seems to be failings of the zone and the whole defence rather than him individually; because you want Rich to be released by the zone rather than prioritising his personal defensive capability.

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I do wonder if it’s time for Rich to move back up the field a bit next season if we’re looking for more pace down back. Zorko, Neale, Robinson, Lyons and Rich as the more senior types rotating through the middle for mine.

I do wonder if it would hinder the oppositions ability to tag Zorko as hard.

carnthemlions

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Hertha Berlin
I do wonder if it’s time for Rich to move back up the field a bit next season if we’re looking for more pace down back. Zorko, Neale, Robinson, Lyons and Rich as the more senior types rotating through the middle for mine.

I do wonder if it would hinder the oppositions ability to tag Zorko as hard.
Not sure about that, he's probably our no.1 small defender now with no real competition for that spot.

powerakablacvos

Draftee
Oct 19, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Concur. Christensen looked a good fit at half back. Looked balanced and confident.
Indulge me, but in Alan I'm seeing shades of a mini Mal Michael.
Add a little on-field chemistry with young Cedric Cox; who I believe has ex-factor and the skills to be a great running Lions half back.
Cedric will frustrate with silly errors, but long term, with some astute mentoring from someone like Christensen, Cox could be a premiership play-maker.

Back