Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Either, to be honest...
Ive got a brother in law that works in corporate New York. He says if your in corporate America life is awesome, if your not, it sucks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jetting off Saturday.

5 days in LA (including Thanksgiving) with WWE Survivor Series, RAW and Smackdown

Then 16 day hop on hop off tour of:
New Orleans
Memphis
Nashville (NHL Predators v Avalanche)
Knoxville
DC (NBA Wizards v Nets)
Philly (NFL Eagles v Redskins)
NYC
Then a week at my aunt and uncle's place in New Jersey.

Luckily for me my broken leg will finally be healed (after 50 weeks) when i get on the plane. No walking stick required.

Oct 17, 2017
Puppies
AFL Club
West Coast
Would like some help on planing a trip from Perth to the do a helicopter flight in the Grand Canyon for my birthday next June. Would like to do a 2 day stop over either in Dubai or Hawaii or any other suggestions would be welcomed.
Should I fly into LA or just go straight to Vegas to get to the Canyon?
Appreciated your help in advance.

May 7, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
49érs, SF Giants, GS Warriors
Would like some help on planing a trip from Perth to the do a helicopter flight in the Grand Canyon for my birthday next June. Would like to do a 2 day stop over either in Dubai or Hawaii or any other suggestions would be welcomed.
Should I fly into LA or just go straight to Vegas to get to the Canyon?
Appreciated your help in advance.
Depends on what you would like to do in LA? Do you want to go to the theme parks or have a look around, e.g Venice Beach, Santa Monica and so on.

If not, go straight from Hawaii to Vegas.

2 days in Hawaii is not enough if you decide to go there. Need to have one day driving around to explore the island and then a few days to relax at the beach or by the pool at the hotel.

As you are doing the West Coast of the States probably easier to fly there via Hawaii instead of Dubai.

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
Apart from Graceland there's not really much around there, and it is also a bit of a dodgy area. If you're on your own, reconsider.

Just been to Memphis and stayed in downtown (Holiday Inn and had a car and had driven from Nashville) - snowed ffs and ******* freezing (-1C). No problems walking around downtown near Beale Street - the city is quieter than Adelaide!

Went to both Civil Rights Museum and Graceland but not much else. Did the usual went to a couple of bars and had the bbq ribs and chicken wings.

Now back to Boston for Thanksgiving with friends and then down to NYC before going out thru Vegas to waste myself before heading home.

Oct 17, 2017
Puppies
AFL Club
West Coast
Nelso just read the whole thread, took me 3 days...:oops:

This I've learnt, Hawaii as a stop over on the way back is the go...yes?

Will stay at the Luxor or similar.

The zip line down the strip is happening.

The roller Coasters in Vegas like Chipzilla, I'm a massive fan...any better than Gold Coast Superman?

Book a bus to the Canyon and do the flight from there, (In case of cancellation...wind etc)

Do you recommend to stay a night in the canyon to counter this?

I like the Donkey trek idea alot.

Do a comedy show check.

Drink beerz in that old skool street of yours, check.

Swim and beerz and just chill (going peak Summer, June) check.

Hope I don't run into that flog Silent Alarm, I will fight you kent.

5 maybe 6 days for a great Vegas holiday sound rite broberto's?:moustache::thumbsu:

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nelso just read the whole thread, took me 3 days...:oops:

This I've learnt, Hawaii as a stop over on the way back is the go...yes?

Will stay at the Luxor or similar.

The zip line down the strip is happening.

The roller Coasters in Vegas like Chipzilla, I'm a massive fan...any better than Gold Coast Superman?

Book a bus to the Canyon and do the flight from there, (In case of cancellation...wind etc)

Do you recommend to stay a night in the canyon to counter this?

I like the Donkey trek idea alot.

Do a comedy show check.

Drink beerz in that old skool street of yours, check.

Swim and beerz and just chill (going peak Summer, June) check.

Hope I don't run into that flog Silent Alarm, I will fight you kent.

5 maybe 6 days for a great Vegas holiday sound rite broberto's?:moustache::thumbsu:
Try Stratosphere if you're in to the rides.
At the canyon, don't miss Lipan point and Shoshone point. It's a bit quieter and awesome views. Desert View Watchtowers a waste and busy.

Antelope canyons amazing too, but further out. Maybe hire a car.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Heading over in a couple of weeks.

What’s the cost of booze like over there? I’ve heard varying things.

I’ve budgeted for food and attractions but am worried I could have a few messy nights over there which could leave me in a bad spot financially. Compared to Australia bars and clubs is it nearly as bad?

BERT

All Australian
Feb 28, 2003
in a gutter
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Victory.
Heading over in a couple of weeks.

What’s the cost of booze like over there? I’ve heard varying things.

I’ve budgeted for food and attractions but am worried I could have a few messy nights over there which could leave me in a bad spot financially. Compared to Australia bars and clubs is it nearly as bad?

I haven't done clubs over there but have been to many bars and the pricing is fine.

Most bars have happy hours so that helps. Sometimes you stumble on some amazing prices. I wandered into a bar in Chicago and it was $1 beers for 2 hours.

Mr X

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2003
Round here
AFL Club
Geelong
Doing a week in Orlando including at least 2 days in each of Universal and DisneyWorld. Staying onsite at both places - any other tips/tricks things to look out for to make the most of the trip?

Doing a week in Orlando including at least 2 days in each of Universal and DisneyWorld. Staying onsite at both places - any other tips/tricks things to look out for to make the most of the trip?
Already bought tickets?
2 days is too much for universals imo
Do 1 there and then shoot over to the water parks nearby maybe. (I didn’t go there personally)

I did it in 1 day (both parts) and did the better rides numerous times.
Note: if available ALWAYS use the single person line. Skips the line basically. Do you really have to ride with friends? Worst case scenario, jump a 30minute queue, wait 3 minutes for friend. Best case scenario (which was quite frequent for me in Hong Kong Disney) jump a 30minute queue, go on the same ride as friend due to groups of 3-5 next and 2 seats available.

2 days for disneyworld is right.
You COULD pack it into a day, but it’s exhausting. I did all but Epcot. Had the time but wasn’t really interested in Epcot myself. One tip though. If you’re going to do 2 parks each day, I’d recommend. 1 day starting at animal kingdom and finishing at magic kingdom. Animal kingdom is furthest away from the other 3, and magic kingdom is open latest. Maximises time after losing travel time. Then the other day doing animated studios and Epcot and then maybe going back to magic kingdom if there’s more there you wanted to do. Though. If you don’t feel like amErica. Food. You could just shoot over to Epcot for lunch quickly anytime.

Last edited:

Mr X

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2003
Round here
AFL Club
Geelong
Already bought tickets?
2 days is too much for universals imo
Do 1 there and then shoot over to the water parks nearby maybe. (I didn’t go there personally)

I did it in 1 day (both parts) and did the better rides numerous times.
Note: if available ALWAYS use the single person line. Skips the line basically. Do you really have to ride with friends? Worst case scenario, jump a 30minute queue, wait 3 minutes for friend. Best case scenario (which was quite frequent for me in Hong Kong Disney) jump a 30minute queue, go on the same ride as friend due to groups of 3-5 next and 2 seats available.

2 days for disneyworld is right.
You COULD pack it into a day, but it’s exhausting. I did all but Epcot. Had the time but wasn’t really interested in Epcot myself. One tip though. If you’re going to do 2 parks each day, I’d recommend. 1 day starting at animal kingdom and finishing at magic kingdom. Animal kingdom is furthest away from the other 3, and magic kingdom is open latest. Maximises time after losing travel time. Then the other day doing animated studios and Epcot and then maybe going back to magic kingdom if there’s more there you wanted to do. Though. If you don’t feel like amErica. Food. You could just shoot over to Epcot for lunch quickly anytime.

Good call on the rides. Agree that is a good strategy.
I have 2 teenage girls - who have been to Disney at Anaheim multiple times before and love it. The attraction of going to Universal is everything Harry Potter. It is the one and only time I am taking them there so thought it was easier to bank on 2 days, and at worst go to one of the other parks as you suggest, than allow too little time and never hear the end of it!

The thing with Harry Potter universals is that the transport between the two parks (avoiding security out the front) is the hogwarts express from diagon alley to hogsmead. So you’ll basically be forced to do both in one hit if you’re doing the Harry Potter stuff

Also, I’d recommend starting at islands of adventure. Quickly do the hulk roller coaster, and while there, Doctor doom ride. Then head to higsmeade. Make sure you do BOTH hippgryff rides. Once you’ve done all of hogsmeade, take the train over to diagon alley and universal studios. Finish there, then do everything else in universals you’d want to do

I say this, as from a set design diagon alley is magical (no pun intended) so by doing hogsmeade they’re already going ‘wow’ then it gets better when they walk into diagon alley.

Side note: I went 1 week after diagon alley opened, so the crowds were pretty packed. So that atmosphere (looked like the films where the students are all there doing their shopping) made it great.

Other note: hold out for Springfield for a krusty burger and duff (or if you’re more adventurous a flaming more) - though, I guess you could go to the leaky couldron or something.

Also, while it’s on my mind Mr X
Disney - if you’re staying at a Disney hotel
If you’re starting or finishing Orlando there I’m pretty sure you’ll have an airport transfer included
And I’m pretty sure you’d have an hours access in the morning before the regular plebs get there.

And transport on their bus network is to pick notch (I didn’t try the monorail)

Mar 5, 2005
Between the Big Sticks
AFL Club
West Coast
Flying MEL > LAX > NYC.

Is a 1hr 35 min layover in LAX cutting it way too fine to make my flight to New York?

It's tight, and this is assuming the flight leaves the on time... Lax is pretty slow getting out.... Passport control and bag pick up and recheck can take the better part of an hour.... 3hr buffer would be better

May 10, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
It's tight, and this is assuming the flight leaves the on time... Lax is pretty slow getting out.... Passport control and bag pick up and recheck can take the better part of an hour.... 3hr buffer would be better

I wouldn’t get charged extra if I missed my connection though and needed to be put on another flight? It’s all through the same airline

BERT

All Australian
Feb 28, 2003
in a gutter
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Victory.
Flying MEL > LAX > NYC.

Is a 1hr 35 min layover in LAX cutting it way too fine to make my flight to New York?
If you are flying with the same airline you should be fine. You will get an express customs pass to help you get through. I got through and collected baggage and rechecked with the express pass really quickly.

Busch gardens. It is in Tampa but you can get the bus from Seaworld. It is the best theme park in the area.

Lost caverns mini golf is really good too. They even have gators that you can feed there

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mr X

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2003
Round here
AFL Club
Geelong
Also, while it’s on my mind Mr X
Disney - if you’re staying at a Disney hotel
If you’re starting or finishing Orlando there I’m pretty sure you’ll have an airport transfer included
And I’m pretty sure you’d have an hours access in the morning before the regular plebs get there.

And transport on their bus network is to pick notch (I didn’t try the monorail)
Thanks - have the airport transfer sorted.
Part of the attraction of staying at the parks was the early access, and not needing a car. Will see how we go!

Back