Should a Victorian team move part time to Gold Coast?

Remove this Banner Ad

but it was felt that the second Queensland AFL side needed to be a full Gold Coast-embracing thing

Are there supporters of other NEAFL teams there? Do those other teams supporters follow GC? I'd like to ask HQ what they wanted by "full gold coast thing"

If what you say is true then HQ are (or were) desperately just wanting the local fans to fall at the feet of this completely new no tradition club?

FMD how stupid are you AFL? If you went with Southport you'd probably have a team in the top comp with a real supporter base! Not some faux barely interested base that couldn't give a flying about this plastic franchise called the suns.

Fair dinkum talk about insulting the locals! What you think they're all 9 years old or something? This is not the BBL where every team is new it's the AFL and if you think creating a start up in rugby territory and the locals will just embrace it with open arms - well that's either naive or arrogant in fact probably both.

Sorry GC fans but I hope it fails just so HQ can wake and get off it's f****** high horse and realize people are not just stupid and eat up everything you throw at them especially in foreign territory.

Are there supporters of other NEAFL teams there? Do those other teams supporters follow GC? I'd like to ask HQ what they wanted by "full gold coast thing"

If what you say is true then HQ are (or were) desperately just wanting the local fans to fall at the feet of this completely new no tradition club?

FMD how stupid are you AFL? If you went with Southport you'd probably have a team in the top comp with a real supporter base! Not some faux barely interested base that couldn't give a flying about this plastic franchise called the suns.

Fair dinkum talk about insulting the locals! What you think they're all 9 years old or something? This is not the BBL where every team is new it's the AFL and if you think creating a start up in rugby territory and the locals will just embrace it with open arms - well that's either naive or arrogant in fact probably both.

Sorry GC fans but I hope it fails just so HQ can wake and get off it's f****** high horse and realize people are not just stupid and eat up everything you throw at them especially in foreign territory.

You really have no idea do you.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

You've got no concept of the difference between a local club and an AFL club. I'll give you a clue, an AFL club is much bigger than a local club with a much bigger budget. Lots and lots in fact. To the extent you couldn't possibly transfer from the NEAFL to the AFL with the same administration and infrastructure.

Reading your post it's almost like you believe the Suns have a problem attracting crowds at Metricon.

Amazed that some people seem to believe Southport are Queensland’s version of Port Adelaide or Fremantle..
like taking the most successful club from a small city league in a non-traditional state is going to work?
Look at Port Adelaide as a case study... the club was an absolute phenomenon for 100+ years in a much larger city in a football-obsessed state, with maybe 30-35% of support in a 10 team comp. That’s translated into success in the AFL, but even still, when things were bad they had the tarps up, and they were really struggling.
But yeah, Southport would smash it.

Amazed that some people seem to believe Southport are Queensland’s version of Port Adelaide or Fremantle..
like taking the most successful club from a small city league in a non-traditional state is going to work?
Look at Port Adelaide as a case study... the club was an absolute phenomenon for 100+ years in a much larger city in a football-obsessed state, with maybe 30-35% of support in a 10 team comp. That’s translated into success in the AFL, but even still, when things were bad they had the tarps up, and they were really struggling.
But yeah, Southport would smash it.
:thumbsu:

That was on the recommendation of Graeme Downie (former Chairman of the Brisbane Lions) and Dr. Allan McKenzie president of the Southport Sharks since 1974. Southport is an extremely powerful club in the local competition, but it was felt was too polarising to attract the general support and membership that would be required for a Gold Coast team to enter the AFL.

"It needs to be a full Gold Coast-embracing thing, not just a Southport bid," said McKenzie here

Why would non-Southport members fall at the feet of Southport, if they entered the AFL?

That was on the recommendation of Graeme Downie (former Chairman of the Brisbane Lions) and Dr. Allan McKenzie president of the Southport Sharks since 1974. Southport is an extremely powerful club in the local competition, but it was felt was too polarising to attract the general support and membership that would be required for a Gold Coast team to enter the AFL.

"It needs to be a full Gold Coast-embracing thing, not just a Southport bid," said McKenzie here

Why would non-Southport members fall at the feet of Southport, if they entered the AFL?

More chance them then a new non known team, Southport might not represent the whole of GC but at least it's known and if they were successful in the big league you could argue that the locals may adopt them. At least more so than GC

More chance them then a new non known team, Southport might not represent the whole of GC but at least it's known and if they were successful in the big league you could argue that the locals may adopt them. At least more so than GC

I can only repeat that wasn't the advice from Allan McKenzie (President of the Southport Sharks) and Graeme Downie (former Chairman of the Brisbane Lions) who were both involved with the bid for a Gold Coast team to enter the AFL.

You've got no concept of the difference between a local club and an AFL club. I'll give you a clue, an AFL club is much bigger than a local club with a much bigger budget. Lots and lots in fact. To the extent you couldn't possibly transfer from the NEAFL to the AFL with the same administration and infrastructure.

Reading your post it's almost like you believe the Suns have a problem attracting crowds at Metricon.

Wow you really think I don't know that?! That would be insulting to my intelligence if I were to take offence. But I can't take offence because you've innocently missed the whole point of the post.

I'm not suggesting that the whole lock, stock and barrel be given an AFL licence. How about use a know identity i:e the Southport Sharks to start with instead of a complete new franchise which no one has a skerrick of interest in

Wow you really think I don't know that?! That would be insulting to my intelligence if I were to take offence. But I can't take offence because you've innocently missed the whole point of the post.

I'm not suggesting that the whole lock, stock and barrel be given an AFL licence. How about use a know identity i:e the Southport Sharks to start with instead of a complete new franchise which no one has a skerrick of interest in
I wouldn't give a lock a stock or a barrel an AFL licence either. So we agree on that at least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez, some on here are real simpletons:

To be clear I'm not suggesting that Southport be just simply transferred with a licence, that is idiotic to think that anyone with half a clue would think that.

Let me dumb it down for you who think that is what I'm suggesting:

• I'm suggesting that The name be used - not just throw the whole club into the top tier as is
  • Instead of starting a complete new entity in which no one has had any interest in
Do you all get it now? If you can't then don't bother replying

I can only repeat that wasn't the advice from Allan McKenzie (President of the Southport Sharks) and Graeme Downie (former Chairman of the Brisbane Lions) who were both involved with the bid for a Gold Coast team to enter the AFL.

Regardless of what they said or think at the end of the day we're now having conversations on how to fix the whole sorry mess. Whichever way you boil it down one was a known identity at the time the other wasn't known at all and no one had any interest in it............... except HQ.

And now we're gonna have to wait decades for GC to bare any fruit.

Geez, some on here are real simpletons:

To be clear I'm not suggesting that Southport be just simply transferred with a licence, that is idiotic to think that anyone with half a clue would think that.

Let me dumb it down for you who think that is what I'm suggesting:

• I'm suggesting that The name be used - not just throw the whole club into the top tier as is
  • Instead of starting a complete new entity in which no one has had any interest in
Do you all get it now? If you can't then don't bother replying
That's a really arrogant and innapropriate post.

If you're so deluded you think you can tell others what to post, and cant handle people disagreeing with you, you wont have a good experience in on-line forums.

Bullshit but ok

It's pretty straight forward.

Deathwishing of the Suns due to some hardon over the AFL.

Means you're a flog.

Deathwishing of the suns?! I don't know how you come to that conclusion. Maybe re read my post that you're referring to.

I clearly stated that I wish HQ to be shown as overly cocky about forcing the locals to just lap up the suns and the game because HQ wish so.

Nothing to do with wishing the death of the Suns.

On the contrary I would like to see some success for the game in QLD and by extension that would success for both the suns and the lions.

Tip, instead of going off half cocked and pot shotting me by calling me a flog and making yourself look incapable of comprehension read and comprehend the post first.

Deathwishing of the suns?! I don't know how you come to that conclusion. Maybe re read my post that you're referring to.

I clearly stated that I wish HQ to be shown as overly cocky about forcing the locals to just lap up the suns and the game because HQ wish so.

Nothing to do with wishing the death of the Suns.

On the contrary I would like to see some success for the game in QLD and by extension that would success for both the suns and the lions.

Tip, instead of going off half cocked and pot shotting me by calling me a flog and making yourself look incapable of comprehension read and comprehend the post first.

Not deathwishing?

I call it how I see it.

Wrong again,

Mate don't bother - you can't comprehend.

So you didnt say just steal another clubs name due to history?
Really?

Hmm let's check.

You really need to make up your mind.

Pick a suggestion and stick with it maybe?

That's a really arrogant and innapropriate post.

If you're so deluded you think you can tell others what to post, and cant handle people disagreeing with you, you wont have a good experience in on-line forums.

Arrogant and inappropriate?

At what point did suggest what others post?

Did you even read it?

I clearly stated my position and corrected what others view of my position

I find it extraordinary that anyone would think that I (or anyone for that matter!) would have some sort of utopian idea of throwing a club exactly as it is into the big league.

Wouldn't have thought that I would have to explain that as it would be a given.

Before anyone gets the wrong idea (again!) . I wouldn't wish that upon Southport either to be re adjusted to be given a licence for the AFL.

I'm merely suggesting that it would stand a better chance of succeeding (at the time of the GC inception) than a completely new team that at the time no had any interest.

Does everyone get it now?!

But oh no! everyone get's their nose out of joint suggesting I'm death trolling the suns

FMD talk about reactionary:drunk:

Arrogant and inappropriate?

At what point did suggest what others post?

Did you even read it?

I clearly stated my position and corrected what others view of my position

I find it extraordinary that anyone would think that I (or anyone for that matter!) would have some sort of utopian idea of throwing a club exactly as it is into the big league.

Wouldn't have thought that I would have to explain that as it would be a given.

Before anyone gets the wrong idea (again!) . I wouldn't wish that upon Southport either to be re adjusted to be given a licence for the AFL.

I'm merely suggesting that it would stand a better chance of succeeding (at the time of the GC inception) than a completely new team that at the time no had any interest.

Does everyone get it now?!

But oh no! everyone get's their nose out of joint suggesting I'm death trolling the suns

FMD talk about reactionary:drunk:
I dont think your dumb, and your position isn't irrational. I happen to happen to disagree, possibly I was a bit too agressive.

Your post did cross a line though. I do get your very frustrated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back