Autopsy 2018 post-trade week wrap!

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally got around to listening to the Roar Deal podcast, some really good content. From the 2year (3offseasons) list turnover discussion, thought comparing the playing list maybe interesting.

2016 listed players no longer on our list
Harwood, Green, Bell, Bewick, Beams, Hanley, West, Jansen, Beams, Clayton, Watts, Merrett, Paparone, Schache, Dawson, McGrath, Mayes, Close, Freeman, Rockliff, Clarke, McGuinness and Paine

Arrivals since 2016
Hodge, Mccluggage, Berry, Neale, Mccarthy, Rayner, Lyons, Cox, Cameron, Adams, Witherden, Bailey, Wooller, Starcevich, Ballenden, Payne, Lyons and this years draftees Ely, Berry, Joyce Mcfayden and Answerth.

From the departing players, it seems like we’ve been able to identified a good time to move some senior player on. Hanley, Rockliff and for the currency we got for Beams, I think will prove similar.

The only players I’d like to still be on our list would be Beams(as above thou) Schache And Clarke

With the arrivals, we’ve been able to land two genuine A grade talents in Neale and Cameron. The mature talent has been re-vamped with better options. Theres also not much comparison of the top end draftees, I know theres a benefit of hindsight but Mayes, Dawson (who I really liked) Schache etc potential then still wouldn't stack up to what McCluggage, Berry, Witherden and Rayner look to offer. The list also looks to have been rounded out better with more top 30 draftees, comparing that to player generally selected later in the draft.

There also the improvement in players like Gardiner, Andrews (went from a good prospect, to potentially a top liner) and a few other that have somewhat surprised me.

All in all, that’s a pretty big and impressive turnover in just 3 off seasons. The foundation for long term success looks to be finally there. Another strong trade or draft hand next year, should see us plug the final few holes Noble mentioned

Last edited:
Finally got around to listening to the Roar Deal podcast, some really good content. From the 2year (3offseasons) list turnover discussion, thought comparing the playing list maybe interesting.

2016 listed players no longer on our list
Harwood, Green, Bell, Bewick, Beams, Hanley, West, Jansen, Beams, Clayton, Watts, Merrett, Paparone, Schache, Dawson, McGrath, Mayes, Close, Freeman, Rockliff, Clarke, McGuinness and Paine

Arrivals since 2016
Hodge, Mccluggage, Berry, Neale, Mccarthy, Rayner, Lyons, Cox, Cameron, Adams, Witherden, Bailey, Wooller, Starcevich, Ballenden, Payne, Lyons and this years draftees Ely, Berry, Joyce Mcfayden and Answerth.

From the departing players, it seems like we’ve been able to identified a good time to move some senior player on. Hanley, Rockliff and for the currency we got for Beams, I think will prove similar.

The only players I’d like to still be on our list would be Beams(as above thou) Schache And Clarke

With the arrivals, we’ve been able to land two genuine A grade talents in Neale and Cameron. The mature talent has been re-vamp with better options. Theres also not much comparison of the top end draftees, I know theres a benefit of hindsight but Even Mayes, Dawson (who I really liked) Schache etc potential back then still woukdnt stack up to what McCluggage, Berry, Witherden and Rayner look to offer. The list also looks to also been rounded out better with more top 30 draftees, comparing that to player generally selected later in the draft.

There also the improvement in players like Gardiner, Andrews (went from a good prospect, to potentially a top liner) and a few other that have somewhat surprised me.

All in all, that’s a pretty big and impressive turnover in just 3 off seasons. The foundation for long term success looks to be finally there. Another string trade or draft hand next year, should see us plug the final few holes Noble mentioned

Great post mate. Agree, might be my rose coloured glasses, but seems to be significantly more talent in the arrivals than departures, even more so if you take out the retirees.

Cameron is an exciting prospect, could be anything, wouldn't class him as an A grade talent like Neale yet though. Out of the players you would like to still be on our list, on pure talent I'd say Beams & Clarke, but all things being considered (talent, team harmony, honesty, integrity bla bla bla), I'd say only Clarke.

Great post mate. Agree, might be my rose coloured glasses, but seems to be significantly more talent in the arrivals than departures, even more so if you take out the retirees.

Cameron is an exciting prospect, could be anything, wouldn't class him as an A grade talent like Neale yet though. Out of the players you would like to still be on our list, on pure talent I'd say Beams & Clarke, but all things being considered (talent, team harmony, honesty, integrity bla bla bla), I'd say only Clarke.

Yep the arrivals look significantly stronger than the departures, that’s for sure.

Cameron is a talent no doubt. Watching him early this year, he really started to bring the excitement back to the game for me. He regularly provided something i’d only see or feel occasionally from a Zorko or Hipwood moment, or an outliner like Cedric first goal or McCluggage slotting it from the boundary. His from in my opinion, had him right up there for All Australia, if he played the whole year.

As a small pressure forward, there’s not many I’d have in front of him, Bruest is one. Even thou Charlie defensive side has slip somewhat since being played more offensive, I think he still offers better balance than Greene, Gresham etc. That’s why I classed him as an A grade talent, I’d have him firmly in the top 5 for his position, that’s becoming increasing important.

Beams we got good trade value for, and for everything considered with his age, it’s a lose but long term we can cover.

Schache I’d still like on our list, through circumstances out of our control it just didn’t work out. I’m not saying he’s a certainty to be a star, but from a talent point of view I’d rather on our list then not.

Justin Clarke’s loss was a huge one for the club. He would have been by now the lynchpin of our backline with Harris and Gardiner. I believe he had all the attributes, physical and otherwise, to be our quality big defender with Andrews floating and intercepting.

His loss put our backline two years behind in development and only now are we starting to get back to where we would have been with him still there.

It was a terrible loss of a potentially great career for a really impressive young man. I really hope he goes onto have an outstanding career in his chosen field. I believe he still gets to the Gabba to watch a few games which initially would have been so hard to do.

Cameron is A grade for his position IMO. Until his injury, he was probably the most dangerous small forward in the comp - able to play one our deep, as a crumber or pushing upfield.

Small forwards are notoriously inconsistent with their output and Cameron is no different. But Cameron can influence games in a number of ways which is a big advantage on others.

Cameron is A grade for his position IMO. Until his injury, he was probably the most dangerous small forward in the comp - able to play one our deep, as a crumber or pushing upfield.

Small forwards are notoriously inconsistent with their output and Cameron is no different. But Cameron can influence games in a number of ways which is a big advantage on others.

Offensively he's been consistently average though never having kicked 30 in a season before. His defensive work pushes him up to be close to A grade.

If he can combine his elite finishing in the first half of this year with the maniacal chase and tackling he's capable he'll be All Australian next year.

Yep...and what we really missed last season..a small forward inside 50 target...supply from our midfield should increase..Zorko, Neale, Robinson and Lyon all in the top 80 last season for inside 50's.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back