Sth. Melbourne v St Kilda: 1907-1911 IN FULL COLOUR !

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 22, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hi Swans ( Sydney and South Melbourne) fans,

I colourize old photos of Australian Rules Football; Bringing what is essentially people trapped in a gray scale eternal prison and bring them back to life, as they saw themselves, their fans and families saw them. : often I work with poor original photos , so it is what it is.

I hope you enjoy this image.

Best regards
PA 1870

more can be found at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/353833738719352/

1907-1911 Sth Melb-St Kilda.jpg
1907-1911 Sth Melb-St Kilda_B-W.jpg

Hi Swans ( Sydney and South Melbourne) fans,

I colourize old photos of Australian Rules Football; Bringing what is essentially people trapped in a gray scale eternal prison and bring them back to life, as they saw themselves, their fans and families saw them. : often I work with poor original photos , so it is what it is.

I hope you enjoy this image.

Best regards
PA 1870

more can be found at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/353833738719352/

View attachment 590151
View attachment 590152
Colorising that crowd looks like some time consuming s**t. Well done mate.

I've always been curious about this

Do you pick the colours?

The short answer is yes:

Much like when I paint a painting; such as the North Adelaide Football Club team of the Century painting (painted 2003).

However to give you an insight into my back ground:

I have been involved in Football Historical research since the early 1990's, becoming a member of the SA Football Historians later in that decade and moving forward for a time. For many years I was a sales representative for Solver Paints and involved in heritage paint schemes, I gained a considerable knowledge of historic buildings, paints , colours, finishes in my years with them. The company also produced sign writing paints, which lead me down a historical research path of old signage and colour schemes from various eras, Victorian, Edwardian, Between the wars etc. My time in the paint and decoration industry involved me with other interior decorators and my interest in the arts involved me in interests in fashion including historical fashion.

I had my own art studio in the heart of Port Adelaide for a period in the 1990's.

From my teen years I always had a passion for motor cars , but in particular the historical aspects to what lead us to vehicles powered by internal combustion engines. This naturally was preceded by horse drawn carriages, which in turn were decorated, by coach painters, many that had highly decorative skills.

I have a portfolio of old colour cards, auto colour guides, books, fashion and decoration books, reference materials etc, Plus Google these days :) that allow me to formulate a reasonably accurate balance of colour fusion based on my historical understanding of fashions and colours and my interest in the arts and fine art painting. Sufficiently to be able to recreate a scene that has some semblance of reality for a given time period.

I don't guess for guessing's sake or add random colours that I would not feel met with some connection to the image I am attempting to deliver. I do my utmost to ensure the experience is as close as possible to the relevant era's feel that my quiver of knowledge allows me to.

I do also have empathy for the people, and places I colourise; Often I am asked , but How do you know what colour HER dress was or what level of degradation the colours on a particular building were. Sometimes being derided for adding colour to a Black and White photo: I see it no different to painting a piece, where I am attempting to recreate a historical scene.

The 1840's until essentially the 1950's/ 60's, were a period that captured people in real life via photography, preceding this period we had the great artists who captured the world around them in colour and also during and to this day that is still true. However, the Gray scale parallel universe the vast majority of photography caught people in was "unreal", it wasn't how people saw their lives, their loved ones and the world, nor for all intents and purposes would have happened had colour photography been available from day 1. I simply wish to release these lost souls from that purgatory and bring them to the way we see the world and the way their families, friends and the the whole of humanity and all of God's creatures saw the world: in Colour.

I hope that gave you some understanding into how I come to the colour collections I do within my Black and White to colour photo representations.

you can find more football colourisations at my FB site 46441139_10218266766480022_3071473985456701440_o.jpg if that is of interest.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/353833738719352/

ENJOY !

Kindest regards
PA1870

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back