Analysis Kinnear Beatson vs the average recruiter

Remove this Banner Ad

As we experienced with Membrey last year there will be guys we want to keep who want to leave

I don't think Membrey was necessarily homesick. I think it was more wanting opportunity to play first team football. I don't think he is a player that should necessarily be used in a discussion about drafting interstate players. I would dare say, if he was playing AFL, he would have stayed. Moving clubs for an opportunity that you would not otherwise get, I think is the best reason for a player to seek a trade

I don't think Membrey was necessarily homesick. I think it was more wanting opportunity to play first team football. I don't think he is a player that should necessarily be used in a discussion about drafting interstate players. I would dare say, if he was playing AFL, he would have stayed. Moving clubs for an opportunity that you would not otherwise get, I think is the best reason for a player to seek a trade

I agree.. and without rehashing the whole thing that is actually one of the points I was trying to make. neafl is a long way off AFL level, to counteract that I think we should be giving our less experienced players more opportunities, more games than we have. Year after year we are in the bottom rungs of amount of players used in the season, impacting our depth.

NEAFL can't be that bad, we lost to a few non-AFL affiliated sides and the 3 AFL affiliates also provide strong competition.

It started out quite bad, but year on year it is getting better. With the reduction in size, only one Canberra based team (that will get most of the quality) and the improvement in teams like aspley/NT it is on an upward trajectory.

It was NE error going to start out the strongest league, but with the academy, players in the NEAFL realise they can now get drafted, I actually like where it is going.

I am a little worried by the cost of travel, for the NEAFL clubs as that has been one of the major issues.

The best recruiter in the land & he hasn't finished yet.

According to the research room I believe Stephen Wells is the best actually

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi guys, with murmurings of Kinnear Beatson potentially coming to Carlton I thought I'd do some research on him as a recruiter, found this thread very insightful and was wondering what an updated consensus on his recruiting would be?

Hi guys, with murmurings of Kinnear Beatson potentially coming to Carlton I thought I'd do some research on him as a recruiter, found this thread very insightful and was wondering what an updated consensus on his recruiting would be?

You'll find varying opinions on here, I think personally hes done pretty well, given the fact we've never had many early picks during his time at swans.

Frustratingly missed on a few 1st rounders but has made up on that by picking up some 2nd and 3rd rd gems.

Was in charge of recruitment/list manager in the years leading up to 2012 so must get some credit for that.

He'll do better at Carlton than he has in Sydney is Brisbane. Being able to focus & attract home grown talent is huge and something he's always had to battle against. Dalrymple said he didn't realise how difficult it can be until he came to Sydney. Feel he'll be a great addition to the Carlton team

I think(just my view) the best way to judge a recruiter these days is on what they did versus the popular opinion at the time, a larger weight on that than hindsight.

If at pick 1 Gold Coast take Rowell and he ends up a bust it would be pretty unfair to bag the pick as every man and his dog would make that selection.

For me judging Kinnear as time goes I think more weight needs to be on well what should he have done and who was suggesting that alternative.

Theres still a degree of luck to it and there has to eventually be judgement on the overall outcome.

I like to think how good Wells of Geelong Or Wright of Hawthorn would have gone as recruiting manager of the Swans as opposed to being the comfy list manager of a big Vic team where they have never had to concern themselves with the go home factor for 95 - 99% of the kids they are speaking to.

Piece of cake for Beatson if he goes to a Vic club. His job is automatically made easier by not having to concern himself if a kid will get homesick or not so he can just take him.

I like to think how good Wells of Geelong Or Wright of Hawthorn would have gone as recruiting manager of the Swans as opposed to being the comfy list manager of a big Vic team where they have never had to concern themselves with the go home factor for 95 - 99% of the kids they are speaking to.

Piece of cake for Beatson if he goes to a Vic club. His job is automatically made easier by not having to concern himself if a kid will get homesick or not so he can just take him.

devils advocate view would be that Kinnear got to work at clubs with larger cap space to do his recruitment

Further to that, cap isn't a concern for new draftees as they on on basic pay.

1st rounders get a higher amount I think?
Their cap must be tight if that makes that big of a difference though.

Edit: this has changed but it was only around $6k difference per year in 2015.

First rounders are more likely to play more senior football in their first couple of years too so that might also come into calculations as they receive match payments above the base amount.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back