List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
True to a point, but my god they had some luck go their way that was totally our of their control. If Richmond hadn't shat the bed against Collingwood they would have smoked the eagles in the GF.
I’m sceptical of that argument.

Everyone says we were unlucky in the 2013 GF, but why weren’t we lucky in the QF? Hawkins didn’t play and his replacement was that log that got shipped up to Brisbane (Walker?)

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Duffields opinion not mine , because unlike your royal righteousness I try to avoid having strong opinions on subjects I know nothing about

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

You flip flop more than Scomo[/QUOTE]

Don't know much about politics either so I'll leave that to the avid parliamentary broadcast watchers such as your good self

Just remember to watch both sides of the floor so you can have a considered opinion on the relative strengths and weakness's of the parties

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
Last year it was 8 win and a percentage of 76 percent.

The percentage must 85+ (ideally 90+) and the wins must greater 10 or great. Ideally we have a percentage of 90 plus and 12 or more wins, and pushing for finals all year, maybe needing a win vs Port last round to make finals.

If it's a political or public relations situation rather than an objective one then stringing wins out across the season will be better.

If we win the first eleven games then we will be very happy during that time, expectations will be heightened and should we go on to lose all but one of the remaining games for the year people will feel like it's a massive step backwards - even though we won nearly 50% more games.

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
Footy would be a really easy game if the opposition let you do whatever you liked.
Yeah I still think this is one of the most under appreciated aspect on big footy/posters.(and that’s saying something).

Pretty easy to look a million bucks when playing some poorly structured teams , conversely the top teams will expose flaws in their opponents armour.

Case in point during our halcyon years(lol) we took apart pretty much every side inc some very good geelong sides... but against clarkos hawks we were made to look second rate at best.
(And still do..:'()

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Im backing Ross in. Our team looks good on paper. He is a good coach and even they have good and bad years.

Malthouse was hot and cold. Im confident finals are on the cards
I agree with you in general, but it is sitting 50;50 for me. That goes for finals as well as Lyon getting an extension. Where are sHill, Hogan and Bennell in regard to health and fitness? Even with increased squad depth, dreams dashed or dream fulfilled hang by those names.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
If Ross gets Fyfe, Hills, Mundy, Blakely, Sonny, AP, Hammer, Hogan, Lobb/Tabs, Willo, Ryan, Langdon on the field for 95% of the season I think we are right in the finals mix.
+
If Harley, Cam, Matera stay fit/put in, we could do damage in finals.
+
If Bewley and or Schulz (or even if Sturt can replicate Stephenson) have a significant impact, we can win the damn thing.

Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions
One thing I have to say the talent under 24 is the best fremantle have ever had all at once including the 2010 era.
Hogan, A pearce, darcy, logue, cox as young key position players.
Then a young midfield of sturt, valente, brayshaw, cerra, Langdon, banfield.
Plus throw in luke ryan, McCarthy, switkowski, giro.

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
To be fair, going from an 8 win season and the best 22 net ins and outs are OUT: Neale IN: Hogan, Lobb, Logue (injured all last season) plus another preseason into Andy, Cerra and the hopes of getting 20 games out of Fyfe, Billy, Hilly, Sandi, Tabs, Bennell (injuries from last season) things start to look up a little bit.

Apr 27, 2006
Your Backyard
AFL Club
Fremantle
The argument is that Freo,s training is not skill based and thats blatantly untrue. If they werent practising their games skills they would be running the boundary for 2 hours.

So Ross has changed things up, or is a case of players still needing to use their skills as they learn the game plan?

He himself stated he doesnt focus on skills. What was the "10,000 hours" line, I'm still amazed by that call!

What kind of skills training do they do?

Did they steal Lou Richards handball board and use that to practice, do they have anything like that?

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
So Ross has changed things up, or is a case of players still needing to use their skills as they learn the game plan?

He himself stated he doesnt focus on skills. What was the "10,000 hours" line, I'm still amazed by that call!

What kind of skills training do they do?

Did they steal Lou Richards handball board and use that to practice, do they have anything like that?

They do sweet * all skills training

I've been down there since Ross's inception and he focuses on basic training drills and match sims. He doesn't spend time developing fine motor skills. I believe that's up to the player himself.

I can't compare to other coaches such as Clarkson etc because I don't view thier training.

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm sorry but whatever you think of Duffield there's one thing you can't dispute and that is he's has probably watched more of both teams training than anyone so at least he has some credibility when it comes to making a call like that

Hackdorn goes down to training too :)

Galvo

Senior List
Feb 11, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
They do sweet **** all skills training

I've been down there since Ross's inception and he focuses on basic training drills and match sims. He doesn't spend time developing fine motor skills. I believe that's up to the player himself.

I can't compare to other coaches such as Clarkson etc because I don't view thier training.

I think Salim is saying that every time they do match sims and basic training drills they are doing skills training. My own experience is that some players skills can look a million bucks in a skills based/token pressure training environment but they quickly turn to crap as soon as pressure is applied. Match sims is a good opportunity to develop skills under pressure.

My take on what Ross said is that they’ll target more match simulation and integrated training rather than pulling players out to focus on their specific deficiencies. There’s an opportunity cost with whatever they chose to do at training and their assessment of last year concluded that they spent too much time focused on the individuals deficiencies at the cost of development with the collective.

Back