News Crows buy professional eSports team - Update: SOLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Exciting stuff, can someone roll in and explain how this pushes dollars to our football department. I saw lots of maccas ads, but I'm not sure that we earned any dollars from them.
This is the Kangatech of the Crows e-sports operation. So it's more a case of it stopping dollars being sucked out rather than pushing them in ;).

Is it really necessary that every bit of news regarding this venture be met with the question of whether it has any financial benefit for our club?

I have close to zero interest in this venture of ours myself and whilst I believe the question is important (probably the most important) it's a tad selfish to keep bringing it up at every opportunity. There are after all plenty of other threads to discuss the hits and misses of the admin, including this one.

Which other thread? This is easily the most appropriate thread.

Which other thread? This is easily the most appropriate thread.
We both know there are plenty of other threads on this board for you to vent your qualms regarding the management of the club, you even created one yourself quite recently.

Look, as I commented before I have little to no interest in this subject, I only posted what I did because I feel it's childish to continue to ruin something for others simply because you disagree with it. I doubt there is a lot of interest in this (on this forum specifically) and I'm highly sceptical our involvement with it will last very long, but it doesn't mean we need to be an ass about it.

We both know there are plenty of other threads on this board for you to vent your qualms regarding the management of the club, you even created one yourself quite recently.

Look, as I commented before I have little to no interest in this subject, I only posted what I did because I feel it's childish to continue to ruin something for others simply because you disagree with it. I doubt there is a lot of interest in this (on this forum specifically) and I'm highly sceptical our involvement with it will last very long, but it doesn't mean we need to be an ass about it.

They opened a thread specifically about the ongoing wins/losses. This remains the thread to discuss the rest of the issues/benefits if acquiring this liability.

They opened a thread specifically about the ongoing wins/losses. This remains the thread to discuss the rest of the issues/benefits if acquiring this liability.
Don't get hung up on the relevance towards the thread topic, it's a distant second in importance to the point I was attempting to make, which is that you don't have to turn every scrap of news posted on this into an argument over the profitability of it. In fact this particular article had nothing to do with that, it was just a nothing article over some software.

If you insist on being a pain about it go ahead, it's your choice. That's it from me on this subject.

Intresting Article about how and Why the AFl and the Crows got into E Sport
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ngly-unusual-partnership-20180607-p4zk4z.html

So by a read it isn't expected to make much if any money directly, and is acting similarly to a business sponsoring a sporting club. Investment in hope.

Fair enough. Providing the outlay isn't high it could turn out ok and I can see the logic behind it (seeing E-sports will inevitably be bigger then AFL, within a generation would be my guess for a time frame).

“The Crows, a financial powerhouse in a league flush with cash, felt those traditional streams did not have much ability to grow. ”

Sorry what??!!??

What part are you having a dig at the Financial powerhouse or traditional revenue streams did not have much ability to grow,

''The Bombers esports team competes using Essendon's branding and colours. Legacy don't play with Adelaide's colours, but do use the Crows logo throughout their branding.''

b006765f25064bb00feb19d1615919d0afa160d0

2de142111f403c3ff6d80c6735ebe765a1c8fd15

Everybody knows which one is sponsored by an AFL team

''The Bombers esports team competes using Essendon's branding and colours. Legacy don't play with Adelaide's colours, but do use the Crows logo throughout their branding.''

b006765f25064bb00feb19d1615919d0afa160d0

2de142111f403c3ff6d80c6735ebe765a1c8fd15

Everybody knows which one is sponsored by an AFL team

In an international market place the Crows logo would be readily identifiable as belong to the AFC. Our financials will be interesting this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need to qualify for the world championships, which no Australian team has come close to doing. And if they did make it they'd get creamed by teams with big budgets. They might make pocket money off organizing tournaments but not off the team they bought.

There isn't enough talent, infrastructure, growth potential or money in Australian Esports. Fans prefer to watch the international leagues. The limited top talent will go overseas where they can get a salary, unlike here. Collingwood going into netball was much smarter.

Probably looking for something other than a cashflow drain. On the other hand, we don't care if it puts cash back into our coffers because even if you don't make money you're still earning internet $zillions.

But but but China, sorry I meant esports

You don’t need proper business models when you have magic words. Or should I say beans :p

Probably looking for something other than a cashflow drain. On the other hand, we don't care if it puts cash back into our coffers because even if you don't make money you're still earning internet $zillions.
They sacked the players. They'll sign new ones. You get that, right?

But but but China, sorry I meant esports

You don’t need proper business models when you have magic words. Or should I say beans :p
I imagine the team is already cash flow positive.

It might not work for the Crows, but considering eSports is growing exponentially faster than any other sports and considering the future of TV rights will be tied around live events (such as all versions of sport, including eSports), it's a savvy way to learn more about the market.

They sacked the players. They'll sign new ones. You get that, right?

Of course, but they sacked the players because they're obviously not happy with some component of their investment. I'm simply suggesting that we're not into esports for any particular return on our investment, but rather just to be into esports. Essendon are seeing something not going right based upon initial expectations, we not that savvy or we don't care whether it puts money back into our footy dept or not.

I know that you'll say that it's evidence that our esports investment is providing the returns that we expected, but that would be assuming that we know what we're doing. And even the biggest club fanboi would be concerned about our decision making skills (Brett Burton as an example) in an area that we're meant to be expert at. Where did we gain all this esports knowledge and best practice understanding from? And that's assuming that there's ever going to be money in it for the team owners, which outside of sponsorship and prizemoney, I'm yet to be availed to how this investment will pay off. As far as I'm aware, our prizemoney is $0 so far.

eSports teams often turn over players. Essendon had a s**t season, so they sacked their side and will recruit new players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back