Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure if the coaching staff thought he could contribute as a midfielder they would have tried, there was plenty of opportunity in the past two years. I don't think Tucker will ever be a consistent player week to week, he's not a ball-winner and therefore needs others to deliver it to him. Looks like a wing/flanker to me.

Hmmm true, its not like there has ever been a guy thats been played out of position for the first three years of his career.

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
Tracking as crozier 2.0 atm.

still plenty of time to turn it around but wouldn’t be placing any great faith in him to become a B grader + for the club.
No real issues there , considering his draft place and I think the clubs building some really other exciting prospects list wise regardless .

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
IMO he should have had 5 games in a rowin one position at peel, then trialled for another 5 in a different position & so on until we found his best spot.
(Maybe they did do this)

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I thought it was clear that the club was looking for skilled multi-positional players. These days there only so many players you can lock into one position, and there aren't going to be many who are midfielders.

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
I thought it was clear that the club was looking for skilled multi-positional players. These days there only so many players you can lock into one position, and there aren't going to be many who are midfielders.
iirc Ross said Tucker and Langdon were not able to do it successfully

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
I don't think Tucker is developing all that badly really. It is more a feeling that he has more to offer, and this season he needs to show it if he wants to solidify his career.
I'm just not sure what he is. Only game that made me think he could contribute significantly to the team as best 22 was when he played on-ball. Anywhere else he seems to be pretty much a spectator. Things may click with him one day, who knows.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Tucker lined up in the middle in the last quarter of our Rd 23 game against Collingwood. Given the game was on the line I thought that was interesting.

C'mon Paracleet, which guy lining up on the wing 90% of the time has a good contested to uncontested ratio? It's like saying a key forward will never be a defender because their intercept marks numbers are terrible.

Every time I have seen him play for Peel he plays on ball. I doubt they'd put him there if they weren't at least exploring him as an on baller. I have no idea if he'll make it as an inside mid at AFL level but he's killed it at WAFL level since he was 18/19yo. Including racking up 30 disposals vs Subiaco's experienced mids in early 2017, and 27 disposals vs South Freo's mids in the 2016 Prelim. If you are doing that, at that age I think you can back in a slow build to try and become a quality AFL player.

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Tucker played his best for Peel across the half back line, same position as Ryan and Wilson

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Tucker played his best for Peel across the half back line, same position as Ryan and Wilson

Yes I agree with this - his best games with Peel that I have seen are him at half-back playing in in a similar vein to those two but general shorter but accurate kicking. It has never been clear to me why he doesn't play there at AFL level but anyway.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wasn’t he a gun midfielder in top level juniors up until his last year of 18’s when he was moved to defence primarily because he was getting heavily tagged in the midfield?

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Didn't we play him at half back for Freo at the start of this year (Rd1) and then we dropped him the following week?

I think he has proven he can play pretty well in any position at WAFL level from half back to half forward. Although it's not like he doesn't go missing at WAFL level as well but then they adjust his role and he smashes everyone on the field for a quarter or so. I personally don't think the wing is his gig so I hope we try him in other positions next season (both at Peel and Freo). I'm a big supporter but he's a bit like Sheridan with an elite kick - and Sherro was similarly out of position when on the wing as well imo. Neither have the gut run or explosive pace of Brad Hill and Langdon respectively. I'd play him in the guts at Peel and half forward/half back with stints on ball at Freo.

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Didn't we play him at half back for Freo at the start of this year (Rd1) and then we dropped him the following week?

I think he has proven he can play pretty well in any position at WAFL level from half back to half forward. Although it's not like he doesn't go missing at WAFL level as well but then they adjust his role and he smashes everyone on the field for a quarter or so. I personally don't think the wing is his gig so I hope we try him in other positions next season (both at Peel and Freo). I'm a big supporter but he's a bit like Sheridan with an elite kick - and Sherro was similarly out of position when on the wing as well imo. Neither have the gut run or explosive pace of Brad Hill and Langdon respectively. I'd play him in the guts at Peel and half forward/half back with stints on ball at Freo.
Not sure he has shown that he can hold down the position of hb/hf at AFL level. That's what Ross was saying, he can't play a second position well enough. I'm sure we will persist, but I doubt he will be best 22 unless he shows some improvement.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Yes I agree with this - his best games with Peel that I have seen are him at half-back playing in in a similar vein to those two but general shorter but accurate kicking. It has never been clear to me why he doesn't play there at AFL level but anyway.
In our backline he would be looking at displacing Blakely in terms of that position. Quite simply, Tucker has so far lacked the production and impact to do that. Just because it is his best position doesn't mean the club should play him there. He needs to be the best option in that position and in terms of team structure. Assuming Blakely is going to spend more time in the midfield Tucker may have an opportunity, although Conca, Nyhuis or Bewley may be preferred. Really, Tucker should be primed to impose himself but so far has not been able to do that.

Bender571

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wasn’t he a gun midfielder in top level juniors up until his last year of 18’s when he was moved to defence primarily because he was getting heavily tagged in the midfield?

I didn't think you were allowed to tag in juniors? Plus he was an under 18's All Australian HBF in 2014 the year before his draft in 2015.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
I didn't think you were allowed to tag in juniors? Plus he was an under 18's All Australian HBF in 2014 the year before his draft in 2015.

Remember reading an article at the time that he was moved to hb to escape tags, mayve been after dominating in under 16s as a mid by the sound of it.

Purpletown

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2014
Restumping
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC Denver Broncos
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back