Prediction 2019 Draftees - Who will be the stand outs?

Remove this Banner Ad

gillo94

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2014
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
who do you think will be

1, standout mid/small of 2018 draft
2, standout tall of 2018 frat
3, 2019 rising star award winner

I think

1, Sam Walsh standout mid/small. Predict will play Round 1 and grow throughout the season. Will be plenty good mids and good competition so will be exciting to watch.

2, Ben King from Suns standout tall. Ben King, Max King and Jack Lukosius will all have good years and impress us all but believe Ben will be the one who will impress us the most playing both forward and back and kicking more goals than the other 2 tall forwards.

3, Not easy to predict rising star. I’ll say Sam Walsh for no other reason but plays for Blues & think will be playing senior football quite regularly.

What’s your predictions?

1, standout mid/small of 2018 draft - Collier-Dawkins
2, standout tall of 2018 frat - Max King
3, 2019 rising star award winner - Esava Ratugolea

1, standout mid/small of 2018 draft - Izak Rankine
2, standout tall of 2018 frat - Jack Lukosius
3, 2019 rising star award winner - Izak Rankine

1, standout mid/small of 2018 draft: Bailey Smith
2, standout tall of 2018 frat: Jack Lukosius
3, 2019 rising star award winner: Bailey Smith (2nd: LDU, 3rd: Jye Caldwell

Jye Caldwell interesting pick. 3rd for rising g star award

1. for their draft position, I think it will be Jackson Hately (ready to go mid who will be able to go well at the coalface, as well as provide some versatility to the Giants)
2. Lukosius (most ready to go KPP)
3. Walsh (most ready-made mid under 20 in the comp)

Will be exciting see him play in 2019 and how he does compared to other mids Walsh & Smith
It's all guessing at this stage. My preference for Duursma is he looks really tough. That helps a mid to play early I think. It was an underrated feature of Taranto, more acknowledged with Powell-Pepper.

Long term it'll be how they respond to increased pressure in a world they probably cant dominate as easily they did in the juniors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's all guessing at this stage. My preference for Duursma is he looks really tough. That helps a mid to play early I think. It was an underrated feature of Taranto, more acknowledged with Powell-Pepper.

Long term it'll be how they respond to increased pressure in a world they probably cant dominate as easily they did in the juniors.

Very top end draft. Not easy picking standouts. I’m just basing mine on highlights. But hopefully Sam Walsh will turn out very good.

Plenty promising mids already mentioned. General consensus on talls atm is Lukosius, Im sticking with Ben King.

Very top end draft. Not easy picking standouts. I’m just basing mine on highlights. But hopefully Sam Walsh will turn out very good.

Plenty promising mids already mentioned. General consensus on talls atm is Lukosius, Im sticking with Ben King.
Undoubtedly we'd have taken Walsh or Rankine if we could. Adrian Caruso said so, and indicated they were the two we'd have preferred . We didn't expect to get the chance and we didn't. Clubs had to "war-game" more this year in case an opportunity to trade up the order came along.

Last edited:
Undoubtedly we'd have taken Walsh or Rankine if we could. Adrian Caruso said so, and indicated they were the two we'd have preferred . We didn't expect to get the chance and we didn't. Clubs had to "war-game" more this year in case an opportunity to trade up the order came along.

True even at times not certain we would have Number 1 at draft night. My second preference would have been Ben King. To me Sam & Ben right now look like standouts

1. Bailey Smith. Looks like he will have the most immediate impact, however feel that the likes of Caldwell and Walsh will surpass him over time.
2. Ben King. Lukosius has more talent however think that he will cop too much attention from the opposition compared to Ben King. Ben King will roam free to take intercept marks at will.
3. Izak Rankine for the rising star. Will start off in the forward line and showcase his immense talent in a similar mould to Stephenson in 2018. Could see him kick close to 25 goals in season one.

1. Bailey Smith. Looks like he will have the most immediate impact, however feel that the likes of Caldwell and Walsh will surpass him over time.
2. Ben King. Lukosius has more talent however think that he will cop too much attention from the opposition compared to Ben King. Ben King will roam free to take intercept marks at will.
3. Izak Rankine for the rising star. Will start off in the forward line and showcase his immense talent in a similar mould to Stephenson in 2018. Could see him kick close to 25 goals in season one.

How will Bailey Smith have more immediate impact? I see Jye spending bit of time in the 2’s but Sam to play straight away

That’s the real mystery. Who will be better player in the long run out of the 3. Interesting you saying will be reversed at later stage. Could all happen as you say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back