Non-Lions Footy Season (2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

The competition feels more and more even. I certainly don't write Collingwood off as a flag chance, particularly with Beams. But, equally, they could play just about as well next year and not make the top 4. Teams like Adelaide and Richmond could bounce back to 2017 form. And there are teams like Melbourne who are clearly on the rise. I reckon we may be in an era where sustained success by a single club is less likely but more teams are in the hunt for a flag every year.

Collingwood do have a lot in their favour - minimal list change and they shouldn't experience the same injury issues as last year. On the flip side, they are a "system" team and opponents will spend a lot of time over summer devising ways to beat their system.

There are several fascinating teams going into next year and Collingwood is one of them.

Their draw is very difficult as well.

...seems a lot of people have put themselves out a lot for DBeams to get what he wants.
I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t even realise. A lot of people bend over backwards for him with very little gratitude. Beams definitely comes across as the type of guy that is his own biggest supporter.

Which contract was heavily backended - our one was heavily frontloaded?

Yeah I'm too tired from marking to think.

Still, I see an injury related retirement after a couple of years with a big cash payout.

Yeah I'm too tired from marking to think.

Still, I see an injury related retirement after a couple of years with a big cash payout.

*nods* and zero sympathy from our end for either party (although I would really prefer it if he was instrumental in some fashion to having the Pies utterly implode this season and getting a nice wooden trophy!)

Collingwood players sacrifice cash to help sign Dayne Beams in premiership pursuit

Haha, will make it even more sweeter when they miss out on another premiership. No doubt there will be some dodgy 3rd party deals in it for Beams and the other players.

I wonder what all those players who took pay cuts will think if he is injured or unable to play (if the move doesn’t solve his problems). It is reminiscent of Leigh Mathews gamble on the last premiership tilt. Seemed worth it at the time but in retrospect it wasn’t great.

I wonder what all those players who took pay cuts will think if he is injured or unable to play (if the move doesn’t solve his problems). It is reminiscent of Leigh Mathews gamble on the last premiership tilt. Seemed worth it at the time but in retrospect it wasn’t great.

You think the club went to players saying 'we want you to take a pay cut' or do you think the club went to players saying 'we want you to take a pay cut officially, but because we're a big Melbourne club, we'll be able to manipulate sponsorships etc so you won't be losing out so just play along'?

Yeah, I know I'm cynical.

You think the club went to players saying 'we want you to take a pay cut' or do you think the club went to players saying 'we want you to take a pay cut officially, but because we're a big Melbourne club, we'll be able to manipulate sponsorships etc so you won't be losing out so just play along'?

Yeah, I know I'm cynical.

Cynical - maybe, correct - most likely. As long as our mob can use that privileged softness as a motivation to crush them I’m happy. Crap facilities don’t change the effect of lifting 50kg plates, and not being spoon fed can make winning so much sweeter.

Cynical - maybe, correct - most likely. As long as our mob can use that privileged softness as a motivation to crush them I’m happy. Crap facilities don’t change the effect of lifting 50kg plates, and not being spoon fed can make winning so much sweeter.

Plates don’t come in 50kg.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard he is so hard he uses it for his pillow.

It is going to be interesting to see the reaction on here if he squibs a contest or gets pushed off by a short skinny dude in his first game ... maybe we should wait until after he has eaten a player or two before declaring him Cannibal...

It is going to be interesting to see the reaction on here if he squibs a contest or gets pushed off by a short skinny dude in his first game ... maybe we should wait until after he has eaten a player or two before declaring him Cannibal...

Sorry Vicereagal, the mob has spoken.

Monorail, monorail....MONORAIL!!!

I hope you all sang that last bit as you read it.

Sorry Vicereagal, the mob has spoken.

Monorail, monorail....MONORAIL!!!

I hope you all sang that last bit as you read it.

MONO.....D’oh

I am glad you got it as you started but either I don't know the song or I am too brain dead to dredge it out atm.

Always listen to the mob - unless of course you want to do something useful and/or productive :)

I am glad you got it as you started but either I don't know the song or I am too brain dead to dredge it out atm.

You’ll be given cushy jobs

*assumes that those are Lyrics to said song*
*googles "You'll be given cushy jobs" and sadly found it as the top hit*
*tries to ignore the "Music Man' theme*
*sighs and follows BangyBangy 's advice and ... *

The ring came of my pudding can

*that just felt wrong*
Take my pen knife, my good man!

I am astonished you've lasted this long on BF without a working familiarity with the first ten seasons or so of the Simpsons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back