Prediction 2019 Draftees - Who will be the stand outs?

Savage Kent

All Australian
Aug 1, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
How will Bailey Smith have more immediate impact? I see Jye spending bit of time in the 2’s but Sam to play straight away

That’s the real mystery. Who will be better player in the long run out of the 3. Interesting you saying will be reversed at later stage. Could all happen as you say.
I feel that Smith will have more chances to play as an inside mid in year 1 compared to Walsh due to size at this stage as well as likelihood of starting as an inside mid. The blues will give preference to Cripps, Dow and Stocker to play inside, while I believe Walsh will play wing predominantly in year 1. As such, Smith will probably have more of a spotlight on him as inside mids tend to get noticed more than outside mids unless the outside mids are very exceptional. Over time I see Walsh moving more into the inside when he puts on more size.

In addition, Smith can be moved to a half back flank depending on match circumstances, which gives him a chance to rack up bigger disposal numbers.

gillo94

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2014
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
I feel that Smith will have more chances to play as an inside mid in year 1 compared to Walsh due to size at this stage as well as likelihood of starting as an inside mid. The blues will give preference to Cripps, Dow and Stocker to play inside, while I believe Walsh will play wing predominantly in year 1. As such, Smith will probably have more of a spotlight on him as inside mids tend to get noticed more than outside mids unless the outside mids are very exceptional. Over time I see Walsh moving more into the inside when he puts on more size.

In addition, Smith can be moved to a half back flank depending on match circumstances, which gives him a chance to rack up bigger disposal numbers.

Will wait pre-season see where blues will play the names mentioned above. Matt Kennedy and Will Setterfield will also play inside so Sam might even play other parts of the ground to start off with

Surprised for so many to be picking Caldwell.
He'll be doing well even getting a starting spot for GWS, let alone showing up to be the best mid.

For 2019 only

1. Small - Rankine is clearly the player that has the capacity to be the one everyone is talking about early.
2. Tall - Lukosius because he'll be a definite starter, whereas the Kings and Blakey may have to wait a little.
3. Rising Star - Setterfield if he's good to go from early on.

gillo94

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2014
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
He'll be doing well even getting a starting spot for GWS, let alone showing up to be the best mid.

For 2019 only

1. Small - Rankine is clearly the player that has the capacity to be the one everyone is talking about early.
2. Tall - Lukosius because he'll be a definite starter, whereas the Kings and Blakey may have to wait a little.

Be good Setterfield winning it and other blues rookies get few rising star nominations. Have to see how Will does over the preseason to get idea

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS

For 2019 only

Fair call about Caldwell. Hopper is the only mid I can recall debuting as a mid in recen
Be good Setterfield winning it and other blues rookies get few rising star nominations. Have to see how Will does over the preseason to get idea
Is he training?

Fair call about Caldwell. Hopper is the only mid I can recall debuting as a mid in recently

Is he training?

Even Hopper didn't start from the get-go if I recall and neither did Kennedy.
If Caldwell does start he'll have to be absolutely flying to get the jump on Coniglio, Ward, Kelly, Whitfield, Hopper, Taranto etc. for a starting mid position.

Setterfield is training but lightly and due to be good to go in the New Year.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Even Hopper didn't start from the get-go if I recall and neither did Kennedy.
If Caldwell does start he'll have to be absolutely flying to get the jump on Coniglio, Ward, Kelly, Whitfield, Hopper, Taranto etc. for a starting mid position.

Setterfield is training but lightly and due to be good to go in the New Year.
Kennedy actually played his first 3 games as a half forward in 2016. Common for us, Bonar did the same this year. I guess my point is he may well play games this year, but as you say midfield is less likely. When you look at the stats it's surrprising how few clearances Taranto attends. He lurks behind the stoppage more often. With Shiel gone he'll probably move move in mire.

Tks for the update. Seems about on schedule for an ACL. There'll be a lot if conditioning in his legs needed now I imagine.

Thunderstruck

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2003
Seaford Meadows, SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Central District
1. Walsh/Rankine
2. Lukosius
3. Walsh

Walsh wins just about every award that's up for grabs so probably no different here. Game exposure plus consistency should see him home.

scott_the_man

Club Legend
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
1, standout mid/small of 2018 draft
Izak Rankine. Will start round 1 and show regular flashes of brilliance throughout the year. Will be a shining light for Gold Coast in 2019.

2, standout tall of 2018 draft
Ben King. There aren't a lot of talls from this draft that will get regular games in 2019 but I think Ben King will be one of them. Gold Coast defence will be under seige all year and he will get a lot of opportunity to show his wares.

3, 2019 rising star award winner
Liam Stocker. Ready to play round 1 and should be a regular contributor for Carlton throughout the season. Not flashy but his consistency will get him the award.

Apr 8, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
1) Rankine. In my opinion the best player in the draft, is the most skilled of any player in the draft and should play every game for the suns bar injury.
2) Lukosius. In a draft thin on KPP quality, imo Lukosius is as close as you can get to a perfect key tall. Has class, excellent leading patterns and a great work rate and like Rankine, he should play all year for the suns barring an injury.
3) Rozee. Yes the third of the 3 South Australians, but I think Rozee can play as a half forward for the power starting from round 1. Already has experience of playing against men so I don't think he will struggle to make an impact like some others will. Will add some pure class, poise and freakish ability in the forward line that is now missing some Xfactor with the Wingard departure. With a rising power outfit behind him, he should shine and win the rising star.

Walsh the obvious one I have missed, he will play plenty of footy next year and would probably be my second choice behind Rozee.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS

For 2019 only

If Caldwell gets through the pre-season without injury there is an opportunity for him to play straight away. From the vision I’ve seen he looks physically strong enough and ready.

That said, with his recent history of soft tissue injuries he will probably be managed and even if he is best 22 will probably be given rests through the year to ensure he gets through it without recurrence.

gillo94

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2014
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
1, standout mid/small of 2018 draft
Izak Rankine. Will start round 1 and show regular flashes of brilliance throughout the year. Will be a shining light for Gold Coast in 2019.

2, standout tall of 2018 draft
Ben King. There aren't a lot of talls from this draft that will get regular games in 2019 but I think Ben King will be one of them. Gold Coast defence will be under seige all year and he will get a lot of opportunity to show his wares.

3, 2019 rising star award winner
Liam Stocker. Ready to play round 1 and should be a regular contributor for Carlton throughout the season. Not flashy but his consistency will get him the award.

I like Liam Stocker rising star. As a Blues supporter honestly would rather just one of Stocker or Walsh playing round 1, the idea of that much inexperience on a big Occassion against the Tigers is bit too much.

If Walsh and Stocker both didn’t play I wouldn’t be upset. I like the idea of one being put at AFL level and one developing at VFL.

gillo94

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2014
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
1) Rankine. In my opinion the best player in the draft, is the most skilled of any player in the draft and should play every game for the suns bar injury.
2) Lukosius. In a draft thin on KPP quality, imo Lukosius is as close as you can get to a perfect key tall. Has class, excellent leading patterns and a great work rate and like Rankine, he should play all year for the suns barring an injury.
3) Rozee. Yes the third of the 3 South Australians, but I think Rozee can play as a half forward for the power starting from round 1. Already has experience of playing against men so I don't think he will struggle to make an impact like some others will. Will add some pure class, poise and freakish ability in the forward line that is now missing some Xfactor with the Wingard departure. With a rising power outfit behind him, he should shine and win the rising star.

Walsh the obvious one I have missed, he will play plenty of footy next year and would probably be my second choice behind Rozee.

Should Blues have gone for Rankine?
I think Sam Walsh addresses our needs and from reports looks to be good selection. Super consistent performer while Izak compared to Andrew McLeod while Lukosius compared to Nick Rewoildt so tough calls for pick 1. Really strong top 15 in this years draft, many names compared to good afl players

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I think Sam Walsh addresses our needs and from reports looks to be good selection. Super consistent performer while Izak compared to Andrew McLeod while Lukosius compared to Nick Rewoildt so tough calls for pick 1. Really strong top 15 in this years draft, many names compared to good afl players
Liam stocker for pick 19 and Adelaide Future first really a bargain trade . Good luck . A lot of people underated Sam Walsh because of his disposal but I think he is a 10 years player .

Apr 8, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
No issues with Carlton taking Walsh as I believe Rankine will eventually end up back in Adelaide. However, I would take Rankine if I thought he would stick around. I would also take Lukosius but I have succumb to the 2 years of Hype and think both he and Rankine are two of the best prospects I have ever seen.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
No issues with Carlton taking Walsh as I believe Rankine will eventually end up back in Adelaide. However, I would take Rankine if I thought he would stick around. I would also take Lukosius but I have succumb to the 2 years of Hype and think both he and Rankine are two of the best prospects I have ever seen.

So what are your thoughts on Walsh and Stocker? Both are raved about irrefutably too.
Professionalism and maturity is noticeable in both lads especially Walsh.

gillo94

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2014
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers

I hope decisions wasn’t based on go-home factor but can see more why Sam Walsh was safe pick. From footage and the reviews appears good choice for 1, future 200 game player from what one article has

Back