Review Winners and losers of the draft (2018 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't watched any under 18 footage, not even seen player highlight tape other than the few Essendon picked, but I noticed 3 SA boys and 2 Tassie boys in the top 10, So I'm thinking this draft could be a complete flop, in the last 10 drafts I would like to know how many guns from SA and Tassie are actually playing in the AFL, because I don't think there are a whole heap and 5 from 1 draft seems oddly high.

So maybe the teams which do best are the ones which traded away early selections for proven guns.

I haven't watched any under 18 footage, not even seen player highlight tape other than the few Essendon picked, but I noticed 3 SA boys and 2 Tassie boys in the top 10, So I'm thinking this draft could be a complete flop, in the last 10 drafts I would like to know how many guns from SA and Tassie are actually playing in the AFL, because I don't think there are a whole heap and 5 from 1 draft seems oddly high.

So maybe the teams which do best are the ones which traded away early selections for proven guns.
Lol - what a bizarre post. Only kids drafted in the top 10 from Vic will be any good!!

Past = future. It’s been 14 years since ess won a final so it will be another 14 years since they will win the next.

It’s the same logic that you have used.

Here’s all the Tassie players in the system club by club

http://www.afltas.com.au/tasmanians-in-afl/?sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiE7eus9fzeAhWDWX0KHT4SCqQQ1i8wD3oECA0QHA

AFL
Adelaide
> Hugh Greenwood (Adelaide)
> Chayce Jones (Launceston)

Brisbanehttp://www.lions.com.au/player-profile/josh-green
> Mitch Robinson (Lauderdale)

Carlton
> Liam Jones (North Hobart)
> Andrew Phillips (Lauderdale)

Collingwood
> Jeremy Howe (Dodges Ferry / Hobart)
> Brody Mihocek (Burnie – drafted from Port Melbourne)

Essendon
> Tom Bellchambers (Launceston / North Launceston)

Fremantle
> Hugh Dixon (Tigers)
> Alex Pearce (Devonport)

Geelong
> Jake Kolodjashnij (Launceston)

Gold Coast
> Lachie Weller (Burnie)

GWS Giants
n/a

Hawthorn
> Grant Birchall (Devonport)
> Tim Mohr (Launceston)

Melbourne
> Kade Kolodjashnij (Launceston)

North Melbourne
> Ben Brown (Glenorchy / Devonport)
> Aaron Hall (Hobart)
> Tarryn Thomas (North Launceston)

Port Adelaide
n/a

Richmond
> Toby Nankervis (North Launceston)
> Jack Riewoldt (Clarence)
> Fraser Turner (Clarence)
> Maverick Weller (Burnie)

St Kilda
> Jimmy Webster (Glenorchy)

Sydney
> Robbie Fox (Burnie)
> Jackson Thurlow (Launceston)

West Coast Eagles
n/a

Western Bulldogs
n/a

Geelong holding firm on kelly was vindicated when the eagles ended up with 2 late 20s picks. Our first pick was fantastic the rest meh

To me the Suns are the Big Winner.

What a Haul with there 3 top 10 Picks and Luckcouis,Rankine and Ben King. IF they can keep them there these 3 can help this team come a Final Threat in 2-3 Seasons

Unusual post but it is interesting.

Jack Riewoldt, Ben Brown, Howe and Nankervis amongst others are seriously good footballers and Tassie's population is big enough that 2 top 10 picks is more of an outlier than a mistake.

It's probably no difference to one particular TAC cup team having 2 top 10 picks. Sandy had 3 this year, Dandenong 3 in the top 10 the year before.

3 in the top 5 from SA is also rare but the comp is full of talented South Australian's. Again, it's probably not as unusual as some of the TAC cup stuff that happens. In the 2016 draft the Sandy Dragons had the top 2 picks (McGrath and Taranto) as well as 3 more in the top 11 (Setterfield, Scrimshaw, Florent).

Much rather Kelly for another year

Me too.

The trade deal we offered was those two picks + a 2019 second though. Which has ended up being closer to 5 second round picks for us after our trades with Sydney and Gold Coast on draft night.

A good non-result for both teams id say. Cats get another year of Kelly, we get Kelly much cheaper a year later.

Me too.

The trade deal we offered was those two picks + a 2019 second though. Which has ended up being closer to 5 second round picks for us after our trades with Sydney and Gold Coast on draft night.

A good non-result for both teams id say. Cats get another year of Kelly, we get Kelly much cheaper a year later.

We’ll see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Me too.

Much cheaper? Another good year and he won’t go for cheaper. Geelong has shown you won’t force their hand with a rubbish offer.

In - Out
Wingard 25 - Rioli 29
Scully 27 - Whitecross 28
Minchington 24 - Duryea 27
Scrimshaw 20 - Burton 21
Kosi 18 - Heatherley 23
Walker 18 - ORourke 24
Greaves 18 - Lovell 21
Golds 18 - Wilsmore 23
Mohr 30 - Vickery 28

That's a net win. IMO.

Much cheaper? Another good year and he won’t go for cheaper. Geelong has shown you won’t force their hand with a rubbish offer.

Geelong requested 20, 22 and our 2019 first. We said no.

We turned 20, 22 and a future third into 4 second round picks.

I seriously doubt that we will be giving up the equivalent of a first rounder and 3.5 second rounders for Kelly this year. I’d say it will be much less than that.

Geelong requested 20, 22 and our 2019 first. We said no.

We turned 20, 22 and a future third into 4 second round picks.

I seriously doubt that we will be giving up the equivalent of a first rounder and 3.5 second rounders for Kelly this year. I’d say it will be much less than that.
They will want a top 10 pick. Which is a fair price.

Would West Coast be that keen? They've got a great midfield already.

That would be a far better outcome for us than what they wanted this year. If we have an off year this year, then that deal they requested would have netted them a top 10 pick and the equivalent of 3.5 second rounders.
Where did you read they wanted 20, 22 & next years 1st? All I read was they wanted a top 10 pick.

Are you putting mayo on your posts to try and make Geelong out to be the bad guys?

Where did you read they wanted 20, 22 & next years 1st? All I read was they wanted a top 10 pick.

Are you putting mayo on your posts to try and make Geelong out to be the bad guys?

It was widely reported. Including on the live coverage of the last hour of trade radio.

We offered 20, 22 and a future second. It was rejected.

They wanted 20, 22 and a future first. I don’t think it was surprising that we walked away.

It was widely reported. Including on the live coverage of the last hour of trade radio.

We offered 20, 22 and a future second. It was rejected.

They wanted 20, 22 and a future first. I don’t think it was surprising that we walked away.
I have only seen the Cats ask for a top 10 pick. I can supply plenty of links.

None talk about the offer your suggesting. I call bullshit.

In - Out
Wingard 25 - Rioli 29
Scully 27 - Whitecross 28
Minchington 24 - Duryea 27
Scrimshaw 20 - Burton 21
Kosi 18 - Heatherley 23
Walker 18 - ORourke 24
Greaves 18 - Lovell 21
Golds 18 - Wilsmore 23
Mohr 30 - Vickery 28

That's a net win. IMO.
Scully if you can get him fit is for me one of the biggest trade steals in the last 20 years. The guy is a gun and underrate by too many.

With the rule changes his type of run/carry and kicking effectiveness makes him even more important

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back