Random Bears, Roy's and Lions from the 90s memories and apprection thread

Remove this Banner Ad

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Being the off season thought we should throw up some colt figure players and players that weren't superstars but we loved dem.

Even tho I'm a Fitzroy fan let me start with a Bears player.

Who remembers Rudi Frigo? I remember one game on channel 7 I reckon against the Eagles in Perth where Gerrard Healy kept going on about him being the Bears trump card in the Last quarter.

Marty Warry who was notable for kicking 4 in Fitzroy's last game. Worked with him on site in the same crew years ago as a sparky. Coincidently Jason Baldwin was working as a scaffolder there also. Was surreal for me.

Marty was a nice guy who was only too happy to chat about Fitzroy and his love for the club and what became of all the guys after the club played it's last game.

Only later did I learn Marty had a questionable past and had a run in with the law that saw him locked up for a period of time. :eek:

Last edited:
I've met a lot of ex Fitzroy players from the 90s and even been lucky enough to have a beer with a few. Here are my top 3s:
Nicest guys: Simon Hawking, Jeremy Guard, Doc
Funniest: Moose Stephens, Pykey, Zanotti
Favourites as a kid: Roosy, Matty Dundas, Scotty Bamford
Unluckiest: Brad Boyd, Brad Boyd, Brad Boyd

Darren 'Doc' Wheildon

*drops mic*
He is a legend mate. Met him a couple of years ago and still keep in contact. Going fishing with him.in the Xmas holidays - he is a real keen fisherman. To this day, he is still dirty about missing out on goal of the year and I manage to bring it up every time I see him lol

I was in love with Richard Champion.....he's still a cutie;)
My mums poster boys were Lynchy and Matty Primus. Always used to joke around with my dad that if he didn't stop carrying on, she would leave him for Alastair :)
(My Nan already had dibs on Roosy!)

Met Simon Atkins at a post game function at a Melbourne Storm game. Real nice guy. Just came up to me and started talking to me about the Storm then got onto his career. I had drank a few beers that evening and at first was getting him confused with Simon Hawking.

These Bearettes?

No it was a group of big manly blokes dressed in drag with big fake wigs and boobs (worn on the outside), they used to have dancing routines and usually paraded around the stands during Bears home games. They were pretty popular at the time.

By the way, this book might be of interest to some, it is a scan of the 1996 book "Inside the Brisbane Bears" (Link)

No it was a group of big manly blokes dressed in drag with big fake wigs and boobs (worn on the outside), they used to have dancing routines and usually paraded around the stands during Bears home games. They were pretty popular at the time.

By the way, this book might be of interest to some, it is a scan of the 1996 book "Inside the Brisbane Bears" (Link)
I think I might still have a copy somewhere. Time to go looking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your drank beer with BuntonRules at the German Club?:drunk:

Um no, a bit of an oversight by me....should've deleted that bit:D

Just further to that game....I was there with my son and my parents. Dad was a CAT through and through, but when we hit the front I reckon he was up out of his seat quicker than anyone, yelling "they're in front!" He cheered like he was cheering for his beloved Cats. He held a soft spot for Brisbane after that, right up until he passed away. He often spoke of it as one of the best games he'd seen......and of course being against Hawks helped too.

I certainly will never forget it.

Blakey_Fitzroy-hero.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back