Not open for further replies.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Something has happened along the way, that's certain. Koenen was invited to the National Combine, but Graham wasn't, which means at least 5 clubs nominated Dirk but 3 nominated Caleb (who went to the State Combine. Graham has been on the radar for the Suns for 2 years since his Allies selection in 2017, but this year it was Koenen being preferred as key defender next to Koschitzke. Even at NEAFL level in a backline stacked with Leslie, Spencer, Jaska and Scrimshaw, Koenen was preferred to Graham in 2018. In fact, Graham spent half of this year playing as an outmatched ruckman. When switched forward, Dirk kicks goals while Caleb kicks behind. Dirk is even prettier!

Something has happened and I hope we get an explanation. There was nothing preventing them from naming the last Category B Rookie or giving a timeline. Now these spots remain unfilled as the NZ trip takes place. If I was Dirk I'd be ringing Jarryd Lyons to get an introduction at the Lions - they seem to like having siblings at the club.
Nah I am happy koenan play as overages for the new Tac Cup and U18 next year . If he is good enough GCS will pick him up like Briggs this year .

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Nah I am happy koenan play as overages for the new Tac Cup and U18 next year . If he is good enough GCS will pick him up like Briggs this year .
If you're the Suns, do you get him tomorrow for nothing or in a year for a draft pick you might have used on another kid from the Academy?

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
If you're the Suns, do you get him tomorrow for nothing or in a year for a draft pick you might have used on another kid from the Academy?
I can't really answer that because I am not Dew or Cra Cameron , but in my opinion if he had a year like Brigg (GWS) ,Foley(Eagles ) , Laitham Vandermeer ( Bulldog ), Noah Answerth ( Brisbane ) i am willing to use a draft pick on him next year.
* Not first round , if other club bid him at pick 10 they can have him .

Last edited:

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers

Given every team in the AFL didn't rate him high enough to give up a list spot then it is up to him to prove he is up to the level.

Watched the U18 Champs and barely noticed him, and don't rate anything anyone does in the NEAFL, especially since Scrimshaw's dad was plugging his NEAFL highlights package like a bloke selling fake Gucci bags on the street.

On another note Ace from PNG is going to be a player and I'll be happy when we get him on the Senior list next year.

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Gee, third club in 7 years and turns down a 5 year contract for a 3 year contract at a club with solid stocks of inside midfielders

One of the more stupid career decisions a person could make
Well maybe he back himself to replace Higgins , Ziebell after three years .

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
2019 Official List & Guernsey Number Changes thread has been finalised now (with the exception of a potential last player added to the list at some point this preseason with that new rule.
The Suns have 3 player spots left. 46 currently filled, 3 remaining vacant = 1 senior spot, 1 category A rookie, 1 category B rookie. And no, Jacob Heron is not a Category A rookie. He was when he was drafted, then temporarily raised to senior status while he played AFL, then he returned to his original status at season's end. Same with Jacob Dawson. 3 players to go. TBA.

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
The Suns have 3 player spots left. 46 currently filled, 3 remaining vacant = 1 senior spot, 1 category A rookie, 1 category B rookie. And no, Jacob Heron is not a Category A rookie. He was when he was drafted, then temporarily raised to senior status while he played AFL, then he returned to his original status at season's end. Same with Jacob Dawson. 3 players to go. TBA.
those SPP picks can be made from dec 1-mar 15 outside of the usual list lodgement period.
when can the other potential rookie spots be filled up until? is there a timeframe?

Sunraysia

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast
I bow to your unparalleled greater wisdom... please forgive me for having a different opinion...:(
(But I personally feel...the list is unlikely to be extended except in the case of unforseen circumstances... )

Last edited:

Sunraysia

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast
those SPP picks can be made from dec 1-mar 15 outside of the usual list lodgement period.
when can the other potential rookie spots be filled up until? is there a timeframe?
Its past - 27 November...final list lodgement. Can only fill the Senior position thru SPP now up to March 15 - if club so desires
Could fill a vacant Rookie A spot by this process but I don't believe we have one - refer above

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I bow to your unparalleled greater wisdom... please forgive me for having a different opinion...:(
(But I personally feel...the list is unlikely to be extended except in the case of unforseen circumstances... )
As I said previously, Willis, MacPherson, Holman and Jaska were the 4 Category A Rookies in 2018. When Heron and Dawson were promoted from category B in order to be eligible to play AFL because Cat B cannot play senior footy otherwise. However, as with Rookie elevations in the past, the original designation resumes at the end of the season.
The Suns now have 6 Category A spots and 3 Category B spots. Rischitelli, Holman, Leslie, Wigg, and Scheer hold 5 of the Category A spots.
However, Craig Cameron is on record as saying that he might yet reserve the right to promote a Rookie to the remaining Senior spot. In which case, Holman is the standout choice over Heron and Dawson because the other 4 Rookies were just delisted and re-rookies, so unless something massive turns around it will be straight forward. Creating two extra Category A spots could just as soon result in Heron and Dawson claiming them and all 3 Category B slots can be filled with Academy Grads.
The other option is to not fill the extra Rookies spots, but why on earth would the club ask the AFL Commission for such a boon and not use it?

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
As I said previously, Willis, MacPherson, Holman and Jaska were the 4 Category A Rookies in 2018. When Heron and Dawson were promoted from category B in order to be eligible to play AFL because Cat B cannot play senior footy otherwise. However, as with Rookie elevations in the past, the original designation resumes at the end of the season.
The Suns now have 6 Category A spots and 3 Category B spots. Rischitelli, Holman, Leslie, Wigg, and Scheer hold 5 of the Category A spots.
However, Craig Cameron is on record as saying that he might yet reserve the right to promote a Rookie to the remaining Senior spot. In which case, Holman is the standout choice over Heron and Dawson because the other 4 Rookies were just delisted and re-rookies, so unless something massive turns around it will be straight forward. Creating two extra Category A spots could just as soon result in Heron and Dawson claiming them and all 3 Category B slots can be filled with Academy Grads.
The other option is to not fill the extra Rookies spots, but why on earth would the club ask the AFL Commission for such a boon and not use it?
I think the club ask for more spots on Rookie A because if they are injured they can be replace by either Rookie B ,SSP , mid season draft

Sunraysia

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast
To save on Salary cap - prudent money management...think the AFL would swallow that.
Main aim of extended list was to get priority to the state league players. Needed to have senior list spots to get them.
Lets face it -a list of 49 is over the top - means if all players are fit (rarity I agree), some would miss out on even a NEAFL game.
Last year 45 this year 46 (or maybe 47) seems about right.

Last edited:

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
To save on Salary cap - prudent money management...think the AFL would swallow that. Main aim of extended list was to get priority to the state league players.
Lets face it a list of 49 is over the top - means if all players are fit (rarity I agree) some will need to be stood down even from NEAFL games.
Last year 45 this year 46 (or maybe 47) seems about right.
My guess 47 only because of Nicholls fragile body , with GCS playing in the new Tac Cup I don't see the need to increase the size of Cat B rookies list .

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
My guess 47 only because of Nicholls fragile body , with GCS playing in the new Tac Cup I don't see the need to increase the size of Cat B rookies list .
With 10 players from U19s leaving the Academy there must be 1 or 2 worth investing in. Brodie Foster played the most consistent season at NEAFL level, while Emmanuel Baru shot 16.3 as the beat goal kicker. Harry Simington was the most likely medium forward and Timakoi Bowie played for Allies in a stand out season.
And making Dirk Koenen wait an extra year is cruel. His birthday is New Year’s Day, so he would have been among the oldest grads this year anyway. Said before and I’ll say it again: he should tell the Suns to get screwed and cut bait. He’s now an undrafted free agent having nominated for the Draft and been passed over. He could take his pick of State Leagues and be on an AFL list before the end of next season.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
With 10 players from U19s leaving the Academy there must be 1 or 2 worth investing in. Brodie Foster played the most consistent season at NEAFL level, while Emmanuel Baru shot 16.3 as the beat goal kicker. Harry Simington was the most likely medium forward and Timakoi Bowie played for Allies in a stand out season.
And making Dirk Koenen wait an extra year is cruel. His birthday is New Year’s Day, so he would have been among the oldest grads this year anyway. Said before and I’ll say it again: he should tell the Suns to get screwed and cut bait. He’s now an undrafted free agent having nominated for the Draft and been passed over. He could take his pick of State Leagues and be on an AFL list before the end of next season.
Dirk could if he was good enough. The way the drafts went was a pretty clear indication of his standing with everyone though.
Those were our best academy players. Doesn’t make them afl level players. Bailey Scott was head and shoulders above when he played and he got drafted quite late. Not sure any of them are rated as afl talent.
I don’t really know.. I’m not a junior talent scout or claim to be. The clubs inaction is the clearest indicator of their perceived value to me.

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If he was rated as an AFL level talent he would be on a list already. Clearly he has some deficiencies in his game or lack of professionalism or something that’s prevented him getting picked. It’s not telling the suns to get screwed looking for the best state league team to join, that’s what would be expected from him, but he’s no guarantee to get drafted from there either.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
If he was rated as an AFL level talent he would be on a list already. Clearly he has some deficiencies in his game or lack of professionalism or something that’s prevented him getting picked. It’s not telling the suns to get screwed looking for the best state league team to join, that’s what would be expected from him, but he’s no guarantee to get drafted from there either.
No guarantee but if he perform well in VFL , WAFL, SANFL his chances will be Higher , based on number of mature age /19 years get drafted from those league . If I'm not mistaken currently only one NeAFL player get pick up through rookie draft( North Melbourne)

* I don't think he want to try other state league because if he don't perform , GCS can't give him a chance through Rookie B next year .

Last edited:

henryjeffery

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Coburg are delighted to announce the signing of Queenslander Brodie Foster.

Originally from AFL Queensland Club Surfers Paradise where he progressed through their Juniors, Foster was selected to become a member of the Gold Coast Academy where he then spent five seasons. In 2018, Foster played for the Suns in the NEAFL competition, managing 18 games for three goals.

Foster averaged 20.5 disposals per game, mainly playing in the midfield and across halfback. His efforts also earned him a NEAFL Rising Star nomination throughout the season. Foster has an outstanding ball winning ability and represented the Allies at Under 18 Level in the 2017 National Carnival.

Foster comes with high credentials and recommendations, and is looking forward to making the permanent move to Melbourne in the new year having signed a two year deal with the club.

“I’m looking forward to the experience of playing against AFL listed players, it’s a pretty big step up so I’m pretty keen to get around that with the boys,” said Foster.

“It’s a real young team, I feel like I fit in pretty well with the fellow young blokes and it’s a real good culture down here.”

GM Sebastian Spagnuolo was thrilled with securing the services of the former Gold Coast Suns Academy Member.

“We’re excited to have Brodie join our club in 2019, we know that he’s a ball magnet from the NEAFL having played for the Gold Coast Suns & we can’t wait to have him in our program.”

“He’s a ripping character & very committed to his football, which is evident by the fact he’s moving his life down to Melbourne to pursue his dream to get drafted, which we know he wasn’t far off from achieving. His ball winning ability is his major strength and we’re sure that he’ll complement our midfield very well” Spagnuolo said.

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Coburg are delighted to announce the signing of Queenslander Brodie Foster.

Originally from AFL Queensland Club Surfers Paradise where he progressed through their Juniors, Foster was selected to become a member of the Gold Coast Academy where he then spent five seasons. In 2018, Foster played for the Suns in the NEAFL competition, managing 18 games for three goals.

Foster averaged 20.5 disposals per game, mainly playing in the midfield and across halfback. His efforts also earned him a NEAFL Rising Star nomination throughout the season. Foster has an outstanding ball winning ability and represented the Allies at Under 18 Level in the 2017 National Carnival.

Foster comes with high credentials and recommendations, and is looking forward to making the permanent move to Melbourne in the new year having signed a two year deal with the club.

“I’m looking forward to the experience of playing against AFL listed players, it’s a pretty big step up so I’m pretty keen to get around that with the boys,” said Foster.

“It’s a real young team, I feel like I fit in pretty well with the fellow young blokes and it’s a real good culture down here.”

GM Sebastian Spagnuolo was thrilled with securing the services of the former Gold Coast Suns Academy Member.

“We’re excited to have Brodie join our club in 2019, we know that he’s a ball magnet from the NEAFL having played for the Gold Coast Suns & we can’t wait to have him in our program.”

“He’s a ripping character & very committed to his football, which is evident by the fact he’s moving his life down to Melbourne to pursue his dream to get drafted, which we know he wasn’t far off from achieving. His ball winning ability is his major strength and we’re sure that he’ll complement our midfield very well” Spagnuolo said.
Following Chad Owens. Wonder if any more Suns Academy players will go?

BTW, the remaining Category B place/places can be filled at any time. The Lions signed a player in May, while the Demons signed a player in August. It has always been a potential top-up avenue, it just doesn't get used all that often because the players aren't likely to debut at AFL level any time soon after being signed. There are various requirements, but put simply the Suns can sign any Academy player who nominated for the 2018 Draft and was passed over. Including Brodie Foster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back