HIGH PRIEST IN THE TEMPLE OF GG/SNSD
Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
It's been 14 years.

* ME THE ******* AFL ****ed US IN 2004.

No doubt in my mind that had we played on the friday night at the 'G (yes yes, shoulda been at home, but MCG contract etc etc etc) - we would have rolled those campaigners.

Rolled 'em.

Sorry, but I've never REALLY shared with you all the DEPTH of my HATRED for Port. You took out a wounded Lion on that day dudes..../clap clap.

We're the best ever. Better than Collingwood in the '20s, better than Melbourne in the '50s, better than Hawthorn in the '80s, better than 1995 Carlton, better than 2000 Essendon. Put ours up against theirs and I'll take us everytime.

We were ******* robbed. Let's do it again Fages....let's go again. And see how good they are.

Come get some.

snooplions

Club Legend
Dec 2, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It's been 14 years.

**** ME THE ******* AFL ****** US IN 2004.

No doubt in my mind that had we played on the friday night at the 'G (yes yes, shoulda been at home, but MCG contract etc etc etc) - we would have rolled those campaigners.

Rolled 'em.

Sorry, but I've never REALLY shared with you all the DEPTH of my HATRED for Port. You took out a wounded Lion on that day dudes..../clap clap.

We're the best ever. Better than Collingwood in the '20s, better than Melbourne in the '50s, better than Hawthorn in the '80s, better than 1995 Carlton, better than 2000 Essendon. Put ours up against theirs and I'll take us everytime.

We were ******* robbed. Let's do it again Fages....let's go again. And see how good they are.

Come get some.
Not to wish away my life, but I wish I was older when the Lions' were at the peak of their powers. I really didn't get to appreciate that team like I would now. This is a replay that really hits home with me how good we were back then. Summary. Round 21, 2004 and we are down 38-14 early against the second place Saints at the Gabba. The crowd is loud as hell and regularly commented on by the commentators. We come out after quarter time and absolutely smoke them. We kicked 8 goals to 1 in the second quarter and then from there it's just on our terms. Aker kicks 6, Lynch 5.

The off season is too long. How many more days to go FFS.
Yeah, the finals bit is done and dusted, the trading bit has been and gone, so has the drafting bit so what's the hold up, lets get the footy happening. :)

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It's been 14 years.

**** ME THE ******* AFL ****** US IN 2004.

Rolled 'em.

Come get some.

That there is real passion! You tell 'em!

Someone copy this and get it put up in the changerooms for our current future champs to see..:thumbsu::D

Oct 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Yes Leigh Matthews wrote about it in his book, and still has a rant about it from time to time, reckons it cost us the flag.
Martin Pyke said the same thing during his interview on Open Mike. He said something along the lines of that if he was in charge of Brisbane, he would have boycotted the GF Parade.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Martin Pyke said the same thing during his interview on Open Mike. He said something along the lines of that if he was in charge of Brisbane, he would have boycotted the GF Parade.

Who knows. I remember feeling somewhat comfortable with our lead (although slim) at half time, but in hindsight there was some serious arrogance about some of our players that really cost us in the second term. I remember Acker turning a certain goal into a opposition free kick that turned into a port goal & similarly with Brownie, I seem to remember him costing us too. But I guess to a certain extent, you have to cop it, how they were personality wise got us three flags.

The way I remember it was the game was ours to win, we just screwed the pooch big time. Regardless of who played at home in the lead in games.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers
Who knows. I remember feeling somewhat comfortable with our lead (although slim) at half time, but in hindsight there was some serious arrogance about some of our players that really cost us in the second term. I remember Acker turning a certain goal into a opposition free kick that turned into a port goal & similarly with Brownie, I seem to remember him costing us too. But I guess to a certain extent, you have to cop it, how they were personality wise got us three flags.

The way I remember it was the game was ours to win, we just screwed the pooch big time. Regardless of who played at home in the lead in games.

I remember it differently, Port went out of their way to get under our skin and it did not work in the first half (except for the Aker incident you are referring to - ridiculous reversal of the free kick if you watch the replay).

We looked pretty good in the first half but my recollection we were torn to pieces in the second half by their run, especially Byron Pickett who won the norm. I distinctly remember him streaming down the wing with none of our players having the energy to char him, we all looked gassed.

No doubt part of that was our ridiculous fixture from the week before. Not saying we would have won but it had to have some sort of influence on the result.

On the plus side when I see threads like this it makes me realise Essendon/Collingwood probably still hate us for schooling them in the prior years which always brings a smile to my face

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It was amazing the team was able to keep that hunger for so long.

Hawks had it easier with the expansion teams coming in and ruining the draft.

OP's sentiment are understandable.

I've actually always felt a little sorry for that Port team. They won more games than we did over that 2001-04 period, and player for player I'd say were at least the equal of the Hawthorn triple premiership side. They deserve to be seen as one of the best sides of the AFL era.

But they were unlucky enough to be the second best team at a time when the best team were really, really good. And of course they lost crucial finals.

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I've actually always felt a little sorry for that Port team. They won more games than we did over that 2001-04 period, and player for player I'd say were at least the equal of the Hawthorn triple premiership side. They deserve to be seen as one of the best sides of the AFL era.

But they were unlucky enough to be the second best team at a time when the best team were really, really good. And of course they lost crucial finals.
I agree with you but I still hate Port

My parents are Port foundation members, so if we had to lose to someone........ at least it was not one of the big Melbourne clubs.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Think Ports hunger to win dwarfed ours. They had a reputation as chokers and were simply more desperate than our boys who had already feasted on three flags

Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots

People are stunned when I mention this in conversation. That Port era will be the most underrated of all time imo

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Imagine being a Bombers fan around the 99/00/01 period. Soo soo soo good. Virtually unbeatable in 2000. They won one flag.

Think Ports hunger to win dwarfed ours. They had a reputation as chokers and were simply more desperate than our boys who had already feasted on three flags
They won a premiership, and then true to their club song they stop stop stopped when they reached the top top top. In 2005 they finished 8th and got eliminated by the Crows in week 2 of the finals by 83 points. They might have been successful during the same period but we had a far greater hunger after tasting that reward.

John_Proctor

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We looked pretty good in the first half but my recollection we were torn to pieces in the second half by their run, especially Byron Pickett who won the norm. I distinctly remember him streaming down the wing with none of our players having the energy to char him, we all looked gassed.

No doubt part of that was our ridiculous fixture from the week before. Not saying we would have won but it had to have some sort of influence on the result.

This is how I remember it too.

I couldn't believe we were in front at half time - and still in front 10 minutes into the third quarter after kicking the first 1 or maybe 2 of the second half. Having been at the Prelim final against Geelong the week before I thought it was pretty obvious that we'd just held on in that game and it was experience and sheer will power that got us that 9 point win. I remember saying to my brother/dad walking out of the ground something like "I hope that wasn't our grand final"... Also unfortunately in the Prelim Shaun Hart broke his cheek and so missed the granny. He was always fit and ran out games with a gritty/defensive mindset which we couldn't afford to lose when others were carrying injuries.

Everyone knew we had a lot of cooked players going into the Grand Final and then Lynch did his calf in the first quarter that limited his ability to influence the game and put us down a rotation as well.

Only a blind Port Adelaide supporter could argue that Brisbane having 1 less days break, Prelim final recovery on a plane returning to Brisbane and flying 2600 extra kilometres in the 7 preceding days was not a factor in Port kicking 11 goals to 4 after half time.

Would we have won? All I can say is while we had gas in the tank we were ahead in the game.

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This is how I remember it too.

I couldn't believe we were in front at half time - and still in front 10 minutes into the third quarter after kicking the first 1 or maybe 2 of the second half. Having been at the Prelim final against Geelong the week before I thought it was pretty obvious that we'd just held on in that game and it was experience and sheer will power that got us that 9 point win. I remember saying to my brother/dad walking out of the ground something like "I hope that wasn't our grand final"... Also unfortunately in the Prelim Shaun Hart broke his cheek and so missed the granny. He was always fit and ran out games with a gritty/defensive mindset which we couldn't afford to lose when others were carrying injuries.

Everyone knew we had a lot of cooked players going into the Grand Final and then Lynch did his calf in the first quarter that limited his ability to influence the game and put us down a rotation as well.

Only a blind Port Adelaide supporter could argue that Brisbane having 1 less days break, Prelim final recovery on a plane returning to Brisbane and flying 2600 extra kilometres in the 7 preceding days was not a factor in Port kicking 11 goals to 4 after half time.

Would we have won? All I can say is while we had gas in the tank we were ahead in the game.
Pretty much the way I recall it and I was at the game next to the port supporters who were over the moon, not because they beat us, because they had got one flag back against Adelaide Crows. Truly warped view on the games few of those Port supporters had.

Back