Traded Dayne Beams [traded with #41 and #43 to Collingwood for #18, #56 and future 1st round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

I am jealous of a good academy pick. The Beams trade not such a big deal. We did well out of it.

Yes, the Lions did do well. You're right saying the move wasn't genius.
We were fortunate to have a quality academy player available. The system definitely favoured us. I'm sure there's some decent academy players for Brisbane coming through. Swings and roundabouts.

But we should rightly be very pleased with the way it all worked out!

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why are lions supporters so desperate to convince everyone that they screwed us in this trade?

Like many have said, this is clearly a win-win.

Stop obsessing over winning trades and focus more on winning games for starters...

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We wont know for a few years yet how good or bad this trade was. At the moment Collingwood has given up pick 21(this year) and next years first probably pick 14-20 for Beams and a pick in the 40s which helped us pay for pick 13 (IQ).

On paper Colling has traded out our first and second picks this year and our first round pick next year. So thats :

Picks 21, 42 (both Brisbane picks in the end) from this year, pick 14-20 (2019) and Fasolo out.

For picks 13, 29, Beams and Murray.

If Murray wasnt going to be suspended the Pies would have looked pretty good right now.

Depending on how the Pies go it could be pick 10-12. Either way I'm still very happy with this trade. Ely Smith looks a potential superstar with pick 18(21). A win/win trade IMO

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yes, the Lions did do well. You're right saying the move wasn't genius.
We were fortunate to have a quality academy player available. The system definitely favoured us. I'm sure there's some decent academy players for Brisbane coming through. Swings and roundabouts.

But we should rightly be very pleased with the way it all worked out!

McFadyen this year and a few next year such as key forward Kobe Tozer.

Why are lions supporters so desperate to convince everyone that they screwed us in this trade?

Stop obsessing over winning trades and focus more on winning games for starters...

Think your creating a strawman argument there. Lions fans in this thread including myself have said it's a win/win. No one is obsessing or desperate. Most Lions fans are very content with our two first rounders

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Who?

I think we got screwed over personally, if we managed to get Crisp back it would have been a win-win

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
They could've used pick 18 on someone else or another pick. Might've been able to trade pick 18 and 2019 first for a pick before the Quaynor bid.
Quaynor was always going to be the first player we took, either by matching or with the original pick. We rated him very highly internally. So it's a moot point.

Both clubs won, though I would have preferred we didn't give up pick 56. I think instead of pick 56, we should have offered Josh Smith as steak knives, rather than delisting him. Smith is probably worth about a pick 56 and is a Brisbane boy, and it would have helped with stressing less about the possibility of going into deficit.

That's in the past now though. We didn't go into deficit, the Eagles rookied Smith and the Lions used the pick on Noah Answerth.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Trading 18 and 2019 first could have been traded for a top 10 pick which would precede a bid on Quaynor. But Beams is preferable for a team whose window is now and the draftees preferable for a team on the rise and still needing more young talent

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Trading 18 and 2019 first could have been traded for a top 10 pick which would precede a bid on Quaynor. But Beams is preferable for a team whose window is now and the draftees preferable for a team on the rise and still needing more young talent
I don’t think 2 late first rounders equaled a top 10 pick in this draft. No club would’ve gone for that.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don’t think 2 late first rounders equaled a top 10 pick in this draft. No club would’ve gone for that.
But 2019 may not be a late first round- and some teams may have taken a gamble that the Pies won't be top 4. So could be 18 and 12 for pick 8 or so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nobu

Senior List
Nov 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Grimsby Town
Big win for Lions I would’ve thought. Basically Beams for two first round picks. Crazy. He’s 29 in a couple of months and is injury prone. Collingwood aren’t exactly renowned for having a healthy list either. Could end up being a disaster for the Pies.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Big win for Lions I would’ve thought. Basically Beams for two first round picks. Crazy. He’s 29 in a couple of months and is injury prone. Collingwood aren’t exactly renowned for having a healthy list either. Could end up being a disaster for the Pies.
lol

That's in the past now though. We didn't go into deficit, the Eagles rookied Smith and the Lions used the pick on Noah Answerth.
We used that pick to match Richmond's bid on McFayden. We traded a future fourth rounder to get Answerth

Occidental

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Injury prone?
Beames played 19 games in 2017 and 21 in 2018.
He’s missed only 4 games out of the past 44.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Nah I get it. You just come off as a little salty.

In fairness to Jackess, he has probably been the biggest and most consistent critic on the Lions board of Beams's on-field performance, long before the trade appeared on the radar.

He's probably the least likely person you could accuse of being salty about the trade.

I guess if you regard a pick in the early 20’s as a genuine first rounder it’s a huge win :drunk:

You keep praying for Beams to break down buddy. It’s the only way your mob will have a chance against us next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back