Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Question for the big footy cricket board:

Striker hits the ball to mid off, non striker who was backing up turns around, calls no and steps back into their crease. Striker yells yes yes yes and keeps coming despite non striker having their back turned and both batsmen end up at the one end, ball thrown to keeper who whips off the bails.

Which batsman is out?

I keep forgetting this one, but think as the batsmen have not crossed (they are level) the striker is out. Plus the non-striker is in his ground, it is the striker who is no longer in theirs.

Yep you’re correct

38.3 Which batsman is out

The batsman out in the circumstances of 38.1 is the one whose ground is at the end where the wicket is put down. See Laws 25.6 (Dismissal and conduct of a batsman and his/her runner) and 30.2 (Which is a batsman’s ground).

30.2 Which is a batsman’s ground

30.2.1 If only one batsman is within a ground, it is his/her ground and will remain so even if he/she is later joined there by the other batsman.

30.2.2 If both batsmen are in the same ground and one of them subsequently leaves it, the ground belongs to the batsman who remains in it.

30.2.3 If there is no batsman in either ground, then each ground belongs to whichever batsman is nearer to it, or, if the batsmen are level, to whichever batsman was nearer to it immediately prior to their drawing level.

30.2.4 If a ground belongs to one batsman then, unless there is a striker who has a runner, the other ground belongs to the other batsman, irrespective of his/her position.

Striker hits the ball to mid off, non striker who was backing up turns around, calls no and steps back into their crease. Striker yells yes yes yes and keeps coming despite non striker having their back turned and both batsmen end up at the one end, ball thrown to keeper who whips off the bails.

Which batsman is out?

Heres where basically the exact scenario happens. In this case the nonstriker didn't get back into the crease quickly enough.

I did. If the batsmen haven't crossed, as pointed out in the op (perhaps you should read it again), then the striker is out. Problem?

Read the OP again. One of the batsman never ran so how the f can they cross. This scenario has nothing to do about crossing.

Then go and read the rules about whose “ground”

Read the OP again. One of the batsman never ran so how the f can they cross. This scenario has nothing to do about crossing.

Then go and read the rules about whose “ground”

I can't make it any clearer. I'm saying the batsmen HAVEN'T crossed, therefore the striker is OUT. One of the more simple rules in cricket. The only mystery is why you are arguing.

I can't make it any clearer. I'm saying the batsmen HAVEN'T crossed, therefore the striker is OUT. One of the more simple rules in cricket. The only mystery is why you are arguing.

I’ll say it again. It has nothing to do with crossing. The rules never say crossing. It’s about who is in their “ground”, go and read the “ground” rules.
Eg. let’s say hey did cross then striker stopped, non striker turned and made it back to his ground at the non strikers end first then he was joined by the striker then the strikers end bails were broken, the striker is still out.

I’ll say it again. It has nothing to do with crossing. The rules never say crossing. It’s about who is in their “ground”, go and read the “ground” rules.
Eg. let’s say hey did cross then striker stopped, non striker turned and made it back to his ground at the non strikers end first then he was joined by the striker then the strikers end bails were broken, the striker is still out.

Comprehension is not your strong point is it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the OPs scenario the rule is a lot more complex than just the normal basic run out of if they have crossed or not in the normal scenario. As I’ve said, go and read the rules.
If batsman have crossed is the simple anology in the normal scenario but go to the actual laws of cricket and tell me where the word “crossed” is used.
https://www.lords.org/mcc/laws-of-cricket/run-out

Last edited:

As a former first grade cricket umpire in Adelaide and Sydney grade cricket comps, I feel that I am well qualified to settle this arguement.

It’s pretty straight forward.......he (she) who gets to the ground first owns it.
Therefore the other batsmen owns the ground at the other end.
They can do a merry dance mid-pitch and cross 10 times, but ultimately the first to get to the ground owns it. So with reference to the scenario posed by the OP.....Spook is correct.

However......I can see where Adelaide Hawk is coming from.....even if the laws of cricket don’t specifically reference crossing (as pointed out by Spook). If for instance neither batsman is within their ground at either end, then the batsman that is closest to each respective end owns that end. So I guess you could say that the striker is closer to the non-strikers wicket at the time the wicket at the strikers end is broken, then I guess you could say they have crossed.
But ultimately, it is irrelevant if they have crossed or not.......he who gets there first, owns it.....or he who is closer to each end owns that end.

The Laws of the game used to say that once the batsmen have crossed, then they can’t return back to their original end.....so no mid-pitch merry dance. The new law (law 30) is more simple in my opinion.

Which batsman is out?
Batsman. They haven't crossed and the non-striker is in his crease when the batsman crosses it.