Best Swans By Guernsey Number

Remove this Banner Ad

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I was intrigued by a thread over on the Hawks board about the fact that they have retired their #1 guernsey, which instead is said to belong to the fans, because they're #1 at Hawthorn. Thankfully, most on that board realise how stupid that is, but it got me thinking a few things. Who has the #1 guernsey at the Swans? Who did it used to be? Who was the best #1?

But then I got carried away and thought "Why don't we do a list of all the best Swans players in each guernsey number?"

I don't know all the players that have ever played for the Swans, as I only started going to games in 1996 (woah - that's almost 20 years ago now!!!), so hopefully some of you regulars can help out. For the list that I've put together, I've gone with people I actually know or have seen and then used TOTC/stats/medals to decide some of the others. Basically, everyone that has won a Brownlow Medal is in EXCEPT those that lose out to other Brownlow Medallists and Ron Clegg because he's up against Buddy. (Sorry Ron.)

But I know I must have quite a few wrong. So help me out here (I'll edit the OP as people make suggestions):

1. Herbie Matthews
2. Greg Williams
3. Gerard Healy
4. Tony Lockett
5. John Rantall (Bookmark this thread in 5 years to sub in Isaac Heeney here)
6. Andrew Dunkley
7. Dennis Carroll
8. Daryn Cresswell
9. Nick Malceski
10. Bob Pratt
11. Roy Cazaly
12. Josh Kennedy
13. Rod Carter
14. Bob Skilton
15. Keiren Jack
16. Darren Jolly
17. Tadhg Kennelly
18. ????? (Anyone but Jesse White)
19. Michael O'Loughlin
20. Graham Teasdale
21. Leo Barry
22. Jason Saddington (Surely not?)
23. Lance Franklin (Sorry again, Ron)
24. Jude Bolton
25. Barry Round
26. Stephen Wright
27. Jack Graham
28. Jared Crouch
29. Martin Mattner
30. Mark Bayes
31. Brett Kirk
32. Lewis Jetta (This should be interesting)
33. Rowan Warfe
34. Troy Luff (I'm so glad he makes it in)
35. David Murphy
36. ?????
37. Adam Goodes
38. Mike Pyke (or Ricky Mott. Remember Ricky Mott? No, actually, don't remember him.)
39. Warwick Capper
40. Nick Smith
41. Shane Mumford
42. Paul Bevan
43. Norm McKenzie
44. Jake Lloyd
45. Paul Kelly (I don't know how many game he actually played in this number, but he can't beat Skilts out of #14!)
46. Tony Lockett (Yes, again, but even comeback-era Lockett was better than the competition at #46)
47. Leon Higgins
48. Pat Trethowan
49. Terry McGee
50. Tony Haenen (actually played almost 100 games in the #50!)
52. Bill Fallon
54. Mark Athorn
55. Anthony Sinclair (only played 2 games, but so did the other #55 and Anthony scored a goal, so ...)
56. Justin Clarkson (by virtue of being the only Swans #56 ever)
60. Craig Davis

If you need some help thinking of players you've never given a second thought to since retirement (hello, Troy Cook!), this website might help: http://australianfootball.com/clubs/every_player/Sydney/11

1 - Charlie Ricketts (Captain and Coach of our first Premiership in 1909, played 82 games. Herbie Matthews Sr and Barry Hall would have strong claims)
2 - Vic Belcher (Duel Premiership player for the Swans, TOTC member and Hall of Fame member - no one comes close to him in this number)
3 - Jarred McVeigh (Premiership Captain and over 100 games more than the next nearest player with claims Jack Austin. Healy also has claims)
4 - Tony Lockett (Weak field really, but a no brainer in the end. Billy Williams would be the other option)
5 - John Rantall (Club and AFL Hall of Fame member and TOTC member. No way can anyone put a case forward for anyone else)
6 - Jim Caldwell (Captain of the 1918 Premiership team and missed playing in the 1909 premiership though suspension, one of our best. Dunkley and Craig Bolton went close)
7 - Dennis Carroll (Club captain in the early 90's and TOTC member)
8 - Daryn Cresswell (TOTC member and best remembered for smacking his own dislocated knee back into place and kicking a goal after the siren to produce a #lolnorf
9 - Len Thomas (Twice Best and Fairest winner and 1933 Premiership winner. One of 17 Swans to give his life at war)
10 - Bob Pratt (Club's all time leading goal kicker including a season with 150, an AFL Legend of the game)
11 - Peter Bedford (Brownlow Medal winner, 5 time Best and Fairest winner, Captain and 3 time leading goal kicker. TOTC and AFL/Club Hall of Fame member)
12 - Mark Tandy (1918 Premiership player, AFL Hall of Fame member, TOTC member)
13 - Rod Carter (Tilt, note how we have NEVER not had a poor Full Back since we have moved to Sydney. He started the mould and the others have followed)
14 - Bob Skilton (What more can you say?)
15 - Kieran Jack (2012 Premiership player, All Australian and Best & Fairest winner)
16 - Len Mortimer (7 time leading goal kicker for the club and 1909 Premiership winner)
17 - Tadhg Kennelly (Irish convert who became a key player in our 2005 Premiership win and then became the first person to win the GAA/AFL double)
18 - Paul Harrison (This number is really jinxed, best we never hand it out - its the who's who of never were and always injured)
19 - Michael O'Loughlin (First person to play 300 games for the Swans)
20 - Jim Cleary (Involved in many losing Grand Finals after joining the club in 1934, including most of the "fun" of the 1945 GF)
21 - Tony Morwood (Twice leading goal kicker and member of the TOTC)
22 - Dick Casey (Missed the 1909 Premiership because of injury but was a combative player who was once suspended for half a season)
23 - Ron Clegg (One of the best Key Positions players to play for the club. Could play at both ends of the ground. Too early to put Buddy in yet)
24 - Jude Bolton (Dual Premiership player with over 300 games, one of only 3 in history to do so. Looks like Jane, plays like Tarzan)
25 - Laurie Nash (Only had to ask him who the best ever player was, because he saw each morning in the mirror when shaving)
26 - Stephen Wright (Small terror of a player but he was respected by those who watched him)
27 - Jack Graham (Used the place kick, won the goal kicking once yet was known as a centre half back)
28 - Jared Crouch (Played 194 games in a row from debut including the 2005 Premiership win, great tagger - just ask Aker)
29 - David McLeish (Played over 200 games for the club during the 70's)
30 - Mark Bayes (TOTC member and one of the best kicks this club has ever seen)
31 - Brett Kirk (Led by example and took his 3rd opportunity with both hands and became one of our club greats and a 2005 Premiership play)
32 - Amon Buchanan (2005 Premiership player who will be remembered for kicking the all important winning goal)
33 - Greg Lambert (167 games in this number)
34 - Troy Luff (All you need is Luff)
35 - David Murphy (Wingman in the Swans TOTC)
37 - Adam Goodes (Club's all-time leader in games played and two time Brownlow Medal winner and 2005 and 2012 Premiership winner, plus other awards)
39 - Heath Grundy (Most games in this number, 2012 Premiership player and rock of the defence)

1 Barry Hall
2 Greg Williams just over goldsmith tie breaker i saw Williams play
3 Jarred Mcveigh- Healy better player but only 80 odd games for Sydney so I will be different and go a premiership captain
4 Tony Lockett
5 John Rantall
6- Andrew Dunkley given Caldwell only played 31 games in number 6
7 Dennis Carroll
8 Daryn Cresswell
9 David Acklerley
10 Bob Pratt
11 Peter Bedford
12 Len Thomas
13 Rod Carter
14 Bob Skilton
15 Bernie Evans
16 Ricky Quade
17 Tadgh Kennelly
18 Joe Scanlan
19 Michael OLoughlin
20 Jim Cleary
21 Tony Morwood
22 Jack Graham
23 Ron Clegg
24 Jude Bolton
25 Laurie Nash
26 Stevie Wright
27 Mark Tandy
28 Ian Gillet
29 David Mcleish
30 Mark Bayes
31 Brett Kirk
32 Paul Morwood
33 Terry Thripp for being from NSW
34 Max Kruze
35 David Murphy
36 Ken Mccormack
37 Adam Goodes
38 Paul Licuria :p
39 Wawrick Capper - cant deny he was good
40 Nick Smith
41 Shane Mumford
42 Mark Browning played a fair few in the number
47 Leon Higgins
60 Craig Davis

He did, but there is no way he gets in front of Belcher IMO

You can mount the case sure, but Mopsy was an important figure over our club for so long with the games record.

Didnt realise he wore a number other than 2

Agree re rantall, just think OKeefe makes it some sort of debate, but he would be second

But our ex games record holder did go for norf in 96 grand final

Paul kelly did wear 45 add him to the list

Haha. I already had him in there at #45.

didnt herb matthews wear number 2

I think he wore both (or that's what the website says), but I couldn't tell which one was his normal number.

Grundy pushes Capper out

he will probably lodge a protest for this snub

I know Grundy cops a lot of (sometimes unwarranted) flak on this forum, but Capper is a much better player than him. Grundy plays his role well, but we're not trying to pick the best players for team balance. I'd pick Capper every day of the week.

Haha. I already had him in there at #45.

I think he wore both (or that's what the website says), but I couldn't tell which one was his normal number.

I know Grundy cops a lot of (sometimes unwarranted) flak on this forum, but Capper is a much better player than him. Grundy plays his role well, but we're not trying to pick the best players for team balance. I'd pick Capper every day of the week.

I love reg

Just capper was my first favourite player one of only 3 swans to kick a ton in a season too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bump. Just saw this old thread and thought given the discussion on assigning numbers and thought it interesting.

Couple of comments. Rantall is a must at 5. Quade and Browning should not be considered. Great to see mention of Paul Harrison who was both talented and frightening.

1 - Charlie Ricketts (Captain and Coach of our first Premiership in 1909, played 82 games. Herbie Matthews Sr and Barry Hall would have strong claims)
2 - Vic Belcher (Duel Premiership player for the Swans, TOTC member and Hall of Fame member - no one comes close to him in this number)
3 - Jarred McVeigh (Premiership Captain and over 100 games more than the next nearest player with claims Jack Austin. Healy also has claims)
4 - Tony Lockett (Weak field really, but a no brainer in the end. Billy Williams would be the other option)
5 - John Rantall (Club and AFL Hall of Fame member and TOTC member. No way can anyone put a case forward for anyone else)
6 - Jim Caldwell (Captain of the 1918 Premiership team and missed playing in the 1909 premiership though suspension, one of our best. Dunkley and Craig Bolton went close)
7 - Dennis Carroll (Club captain in the early 90's and TOTC member)
8 - Daryn Cresswell (TOTC member and best remembered for smacking his own dislocated knee back into place and kicking a goal after the siren to produce a #Go North!
9 - Len Thomas (Twice Best and Fairest winner and 1933 Premiership winner. One of 17 Swans to give his life at war)
10 - Bob Pratt (Club's all time leading goal kicker including a season with 150, an AFL Legend of the game)
11 - Peter Bedford (Brownlow Medal winner, 5 time Best and Fairest winner, Captain and 3 time leading goal kicker. TOTC and AFL/Club Hall of Fame member)
12 - Mark Tandy (1918 Premiership player, AFL Hall of Fame member, TOTC member)
13 - Rod Carter (Tilt, note how we have NEVER not had a poor Full Back since we have moved to Sydney. He started the mould and the others have followed)
14 - Bob Skilton (What more can you say?)
15 - Kieran Jack (2012 Premiership player, All Australian and Best & Fairest winner)
16 - Len Mortimer (7 time leading goal kicker for the club and 1909 Premiership winner)
17 - Tadhg Kennelly (Irish convert who became a key player in our 2005 Premiership win and then became the first person to win the GAA/AFL double)
18 - Paul Harrison (This number is really jinxed, best we never hand it out - its the who's who of never were and always injured)
19 - Michael O'Loughlin (First person to play 300 games for the Swans)
20 - Jim Cleary (Involved in many losing Grand Finals after joining the club in 1934, including most of the "fun" of the 1945 GF)
21 - Tony Morwood (Twice leading goal kicker and member of the TOTC)
22 - Dick Casey (Missed the 1909 Premiership because of injury but was a combative player who was once suspended for half a season)
23 - Ron Clegg (One of the best Key Positions players to play for the club. Could play at both ends of the ground. Too early to put Buddy in yet)
24 - Jude Bolton (Dual Premiership player with over 300 games, one of only 3 in history to do so. Looks like Jane, plays like Tarzan)
25 - Laurie Nash (Only had to ask him who the best ever player was, because he saw each morning in the mirror when shaving)
26 - Stephen Wright (Small terror of a player but he was respected by those who watched him)
27 - Jack Graham (Used the place kick, won the goal kicking once yet was known as a centre half back)
28 - Jared Crouch (Played 194 games in a row from debut including the 2005 Premiership win, great tagger - just ask Aker)
29 - David McLeish (Played over 200 games for the club during the 70's)
30 - Mark Bayes (TOTC member and one of the best kicks this club has ever seen)
31 - Brett Kirk (Led by example and took his 3rd opportunity with both hands and became one of our club greats and a 2005 Premiership play)
32 - Amon Buchanan (2005 Premiership player who will be remembered for kicking the all important winning goal)
33 - Greg Lambert (167 games in this number)
34 - Troy Luff (All you need is Luff)
35 - David Murphy (Wingman in the Swans TOTC)
37 - Adam Goodes (Club's all-time leader in games played and two time Brownlow Medal winner and 2005 and 2012 Premiership winner, plus other awards)
39 - Heath Grundy (Most games in this number, 2012 Premiership player and rock of the defence)
Great list but would put Eric Sarich in at 16 in front of a show pony for his toughness and the fact he put that sniper Barassi into the fence at the Lake Oval in front of the tea rooms.

Bump. Just saw this old thread and thought given the discussion on assigning numbers and thought it interesting.

Couple of comments. Rantall is a must at 5. Quade and Browning should not be considered. Great to see mention of Paul Harrison who was both talented and frightening.
Has someone got a list they can post, of every number and every significant player who has worn that number?

For example I loved Tadgh, I loved Mickey O, but wouldn't have a f***ing clue who else has worn 17 or 19, so can't really offer much input can I?

Surely paul kelly must be the unluckiest player in this thread.
Max Papley. He wore Number 11. Great player but cant dislodge Peter Bedford. And they were both wonderful cricketers also. As is Stuart Maxfield at 11.The great Ron Clegg played at Centre Half Forward and Centre Half Back, played as a 17 year old in the Bloodbath GF and won a Brownlow so is really stiff.

Last edited:
Max Papley. He wore Number 11. Great player but cant dislodge Peter Bedford. And they were both wonderful cricketers also. As is Stuart Maxfield at 11.The great Ron Clegg played at Centre Half Forward and Centre Half Back, played as a 17 year old in the Bloodbath GF and won a Brownlow so is really stiff.

.... and also dominated in the centre when called on. Clegg was an extraordinary player. My dad and uncle rated him with Nash.

One player worth a mention is Barry Round. With shoulders six handles wide, massive hands covered in super glue and a gloriously eccentric kicking style Barry was the ultimate heart and soul player.

Agree with Connolly about Eric Sarich, another true Blood. Aside from Barassi, he also cleaned up the mongrel Pascoe brothers.

Has someone got a list they can post, of every number and every significant player who has worn that number?

For example I loved Tadgh, I loved Mickey O, but wouldn't have a f***ing clue who else has worn 17 or 19, so can't really offer much input can I?
I'm not great at posting links, but I'll give it a go.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/alltime/swans.html

Hopefully that works and gives you the information you're after and if you hit the # icon it will list the players by number.

.... and also dominated in the centre when called on. Clegg was an extraordinary player. My dad and uncle rated him with Nash.

One player worth a mention is Barry Round. With shoulders six handles wide, massive hands covered in super glue and a gloriously eccentric kicking style Barry was the ultimate heart and soul player.

Agree with Connolly about Eric Sarich, another true Blood. Aside from Barassi, he also cleaned up the mongrel Pascoe brothers.
Ahh yes the Pascoe boys. Big Bob Pascoe broke his leg unfortunately trying to trip Sarich. In the ensuing melee Sarich accounted for Mick Dowdell another obnoxious North player. Pascoe was a tripper of some notoriety. He had previously been reported and rubbed out for tripping the great Ted Whitten in a night game at the Lake Oval. The night games at the Lake Oval were exciting affairs. I remember there being dark parts of the ground where dark deeds were done as the lighting wasn't brilliant. And the outer being a thousand points of light as the crowd lit up. Those were days. The brothers famously walked out of North over the non-payment of wages and went to play for St Kilda. Hardly an impressive CV considering he was good enough to be picked for Victoria.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back