Worst afl player you've seen (and why)

Remove this Banner Ad

Castagna is the luckiest person to play footy, did his dad suck off Dimma and the recruiters or something? Actually frustrating watching him play.
Jarryd Blair vibes, both premiership players but probably the 22nd best player in each side. Jarryd Blair was alot smaller and didn’t struggle to find the pill like Costagna does though.

Simon Godfrey. Literally could not dispose of the ball by foot or hand. Only saving grace was he actually looks like a demon.
This is a legit true story, but i remember speaking to Travis Johnstone out one night, and he said chicks would throw themselves at Godders because of his rugged wood chopper looks. Solidly built fella but head on him like a smashed crab.

* i loved Godders though! That left foot snap on QB one year was just pure awesomeness.

Maynard butchered the last 2 minutes of grand final and is battling to retain his spot this year.
By the way.

Maynards prelim final opponent.(No goals)
6CCBD73D-CEF8-4AAE-946A-AD7AF56F8A33.png

Maynard in the prelim

2743981C-E676-42A8-A9B3-15336B832B7C.png

I’d say Maynards spot is pretty safe, unless Caddy had the flu aswell? Tobey Greene was his man the week before, i’d suggest checking out his numbers aswell.

Maynard is a very average footballer at best. If you have the right athleticism, then playing a negating game on one opponent is really not that hard.

i remember when Fantasia kicked 5 goals on Maynard in a game a couple of years ago, yet he still pushed his chest out and tried to start fights. Quite embarrassing really.

Also, should we mention that Maynard got out muscled by a smaller and weaker Rioli, which ultimately cost Collingwood the Grandfinal?

By the way.

Maynards prelim final opponent.(No goals)
View attachment 591708

Maynard in the prelim

View attachment 591709

I’d say Maynards spot is pretty safe, unless Caddy had the flu aswell? Tobey Greene was his man the week before, i’d suggest checking out his numbers aswell.
I was more talking about the last 2 minutes of GF. 1/ The Sheed mark, either Maynard misread the flight of the ball or was out muscled by Rioli.2/ After the center bounce, the ball gets knocked to Maynard who handballs to no one in particular in a panic and 3/His kick in from full back with a minute to go- went about 45meters straight to Shuey,why did he kick in when Sidebottom was next to him? A bad 2 mins in anyones book.Probably cost you the GF in all honesty without being a smartarse.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a legit true story, but i remember speaking to Travis Johnstone out one night, and he said chicks would throw themselves at Godders because of his rugged wood chopper looks. Solidly built fella but head on him like a smashed crab.

**** i loved Godders though! That left foot snap on QB one year was just pure awesomeness.

Can confirm.

Well over a decade ago I saw Godders out for dinner with a young lady.

I was astonished at the contrast.

She was a AFL premiership winning captain level, he was Montrose reserves first emergency such was the league differential.

Captain obvious... we have been waiting for you. Grab a drink at the bar we will be with you in a sec.

Huh ..... You've been waiting for me??
The exciting life of a St.Kilda fan.
What a cool club filled with cool people.
Hang in there, a flag could be around the corner I reckon.

**** i loved Godders though! That left foot snap on QB one year was just pure awesomeness.

That was so beyond his capabilities I still question it actually happened. The crowd was almost silent when it happened.

Chad "flatline" Fletcher ....
he was a good player but his last 3 years at West Coast he really should hand back his match payments for once Judd and Cousins went Kerr stepped up Fletcher just became a crab i remember being at a Melb vs WCE game at the MCG and that game Fletcher litterally ran away from a contest right infront of us ....

he was a good player but his last 3 years at West Coast he really should hand back his match payments for once Judd and Cousins went Kerr stepped up Fletcher just became a crab i remember being at a Melb vs WCE game at the MCG and that game Fletcher litterally ran away from a contest right infront of us ....

Like a few nominations in this thread, ludicrous.

Excellent player for the majority of his career.

He definitely went a year or two longer than he should have.

Raff Clarke was just painfully slow. Above and below the shoulders.
When he was handed the ball you could almost see the little mouse on a treadmill inside his skull churning out complex decisions.....should i run ? should i kick it ?

Nowhere near as bad as that Costagnza bloke though.

Scott Turner. Full-back for Richmond during the '90s.

Would give hospital handballs from the goal square he's defending, and then run forward to give his team mate an "option", but of course a turnover has happened and the opposition are running for goal - and the goal square is open because he ran out of it...

Would wait outside of packs on the wrong side of goal as a defender...

Also, he was the designated kicker out of defence for whatever reason, and loved kicking it into the corridor no matter what (chances are it was a set play, but wow it was horrible to watch).

He also liked sneaking forward SOS-style a lot, but wasn't anywhere near the goal-kicker, and in fact just looked totally out of place and simply got Richmond killed on the rebound more often than not.

Weirdly, watching him play and direct (he was their general down back, like the Bizarro version of Luke Hodge) Richmond's backline was pretty hilarious to watch, but it was a godsend when Richmond got Darren Gaspar near the end of the '90s who basically acted as a Mr Fix-It for Turner's bloopers.

Anyway, Turner ended up playing almost 150 games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back