AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Training Report: No.1, 2018-2019.

In every heart there is a room
A sanctuary safe and strong
To heal the wounds ...........

Dunno why Billy Joel’s poetry ran through my head this morning. There I was walking across the MCG bridge to the Holden Centre, and bang! Returning to the scene of the latest Collingwood heartbreak Onwards and upwards Pie People!

Training:
Reid, Phillips, Cox, De Goey, Adams, Sier, Madgen, Mihacek, Appleby, C Brown,
T Brown, Daicos, Wills, Stephenson, Murphy, Crocker, Varcoe, Will Kelly, Atu Bosenavulagi, Issac Quaynor,

The new recruits were training for the first time; Issac and Atu moving like cats. So good to watch!
Will Kelly’s a big boy, but looks pretty raw.

I watched The Irish boy Keane closely. He and Quaynor were coached by Robert Harvey initially. The drill was to retrieve a ground ball and avoid the tackle of an opponent. Quaynor is strong and very agile. Stood up in the tackles.
Keane was concerned with the grass ‘burns’ on his lower back, courtesy of a Quaynor tackle. Would he have ever had one previously?

He looks like a beauty this boy. Tall with big strong legs and surprising agility. He trained on the Glasshouse side so we got to see a fair bit of him.

The first thing I noticed were his sure hands. After the stretching exercises the players ran to the river end where they lined up for ball drills. Players were called towards a trainer who rolled a bouncing ball toward them. Keane retrieved the ball from his bootstraps without missing a beat, every single time.

Kelly and Toehill were down st the river end and I don’t have anything on them.

Could Josh Daicos have shrunk? Maybe it’s an illusion due to his bulked up shoulders and arms? Looked very small all of a sudden.

Speaking of bulking up, Nathan Murphy doesn't appear to have changed much, but his upper body was covered, so we'll wait and see on that. He is still growing though.He's the same size as Mihacek now and I'm pretty sure he wasn't a year ago. Can anybody confirm?

Atu Bosenavulagi is the same height as Taylor Adams but bigger in the thighs. Very strong through the hips and lightning fast.

This time last year I watched Brandon Sier closely. I remember thinking how good he looked and how well he was moving. But would he be any good or was I being seduced by a great smooth mover? Today I wondered who would be the next Braydon Sier out there.....the player to surprise us to take the next step.

Appleby trained impressively and dare I say it.....Ben Reid looked as good as I’ve ever seen him. Sprinting full pace all session.

Callum Brown and DeGoey did running work on the Glasshouse side.

Oh yes, I forgot to add, Bucks was back.
IMG-2024.JPG
IMG-2025.JPG
IMG-2026.JPG

Murphy.jpg

kallangur pie

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Training Report: No.1, 2018-2019.

In every heart there is a room
A sanctuary safe and strong
To heal the wounds ...........

Dunno why Billy Joel’s poetry ran through my head this morning. There I was walking across the MCG bridge to the Holden Centre, and bang! Returning to the scene of the latest Collingwood heartbreak Onwards and upwards Pie People!

Training:
Reid, Phillips, Cox, De Goey, Adams, Sier, Madgen, Mihacek, Appleby, C Brown,
T Brown, Daicos, Wills, Stephenson, Murphy, Crocker, Varcoe, Will Kelly, Atu Bosenavulagi, Issac Quaynor,

The new recruits were training for the first time; Issac and Atu moving like cats. So good to watch!
Will Kelly’s a big boy, but looks pretty raw.

I watched The Irish boy Keane closely. He and Quaynor were coached by Robert Harvey initially. The drill was to retrieve a ground ball and avoid the tackle of an opponent. Quaynor is strong and very agile. Stood up in the tackles.
Keane was concerned with the grass ‘burns’ on his lower back, courtesy of a Quaynor tackle. Would he have ever had one previously?

He looks like a beauty this boy. Tall with big strong legs and surprising agility. He trained on the Glasshouse side so we got to see a fair bit of him.

The first thing I noticed were his sure hands. After the stretching exercises the players ran to the river end where they lined up for ball drills. Players were called towards a trainer who rolled a bouncing ball toward them. Keane retrieved the ball from his bootstraps without missing a beat, every single time.

Kelly and Toehill were down st the river end and I don’t have anything on them.

Could Josh Daicos have shrunk? Maybe it’s an illusion due to his bulked up shoulders and arms? Looked very small all of a sudden.

Speaking of bulking up, Nathan Murphy doesn't appear to have changed much, but his upper body was covered, so we'll wait and see on that. He is still growing though.He's the same size as Mihacek now and I'm pretty sure he wasn't a year ago. Can anybody confirm?

Atu Bosenavulagi is the same height as Taylor Adams but bigger in the thighs. Very strong through the hips and lightning fast.

This time last year I watched Brandon Sier closely. I remember thinking how good he looked and how well he was moving. But would he be any good or was I being seduced by a great smooth mover? Today I wondered who would be the next Braydon Sier out there.....the player to surprise us to take the next step.

Appleby trained impressively and dare I say it.....Ben Reid looked as good as I’ve ever seen him. Sprinting full pace all session.

Callum Brown and DeGoey did running work on the Glasshouse side.

Oh yes, I forgot to add, Bucks was back.
View attachment 589520 View attachment 589521 View attachment 589522

View attachment 589515
At last good news about Reid also the word is Keane is 1 to watch quite a bit of natural ability,is he key position size he looks close to it.
Thanks for the report mate and all your efforts last season it is really good to be able read your reports on big footy.

Aug 26, 2009
Yarra Bend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
At last good news about Reid also the word is Keane is 1 to watch quite a bit of natural ability,is he key position size he looks close to it.
Thanks for the report mate and all your efforts last season it is really good to be able read your reports on big footy.
You're welcome KP. I was very surprised watching Keane yesterday. Was expecting a skinny kid (like Tohill) but he isn't. He a big, agile type with very good hands and reflexes. Loved the way he gathered the ball at pace. Unlike Tohill, he has very strong legs. He's going to be very interesting to watch.

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
You're welcome KP. I was very surprised watching Keane yesterday. Was expecting a skinny kid (like Tohill) but he isn't. He a big, agile type with very good hands and reflexes. Loved the way he gathered the ball at pace. Unlike Tohill, he has very strong legs. He's going to be very interesting to watch.
Do you think Tohill wasn't that impressive? I'd like to hope he'll turn into a KPF for us - it seems that's what the club is hoping.

On a completely unnecessary, unrelated note my gaydar goes off when I see Keane. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Aug 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Did you make it to Friday's training Apples?

My take

- hotter work today with the sun out and the balls out quite a bit. Fitness through football you might describe it. A lot of work focussed on working in traffic in restricted areas - A lot of keepings off 4 vs 3 but also 8 vs 8. Repeat run throughs in pairs with a handball from a coach as reward for whichever in the pair had built a gap on the other, but designed to handle the ball under fatigue. Transition from end to end by hand & foot. Contested work in pairs in the air amongst the taller players (Reid, Cox, Magden, Keane, Tohill, Mihocek) interspersed by running. Keane does impress as a spoiler in defence. Cox too big for both of his alternating opponents (Checkers and Keane)

- Absent, from memory, Crisp, Grundy, Treloar, Wells, Langdon, Thomas, Maynard, Kelly, Goldsack, Greenwood, Scharenberg, (Dunn, who went for a walk)

- Reduced loads so mainly run throughs - Beams, Howe, Aish, Crocker, Broomhead (who tells me the pain is settling down slowly). Moore, Elliott did some kicking amongst themselves too in addition to some run throughs. All of these finished early before 11.30am

- Full drills but left track relatively early - Quaynor, Atu, Keane, Wills

- VFL attendees - Wellings, Ralph

- Who impressed? - Stephenson is really pushing himself the whole time. Nathan Murphy pushed home hard to win the last group ~250m by passing Tom Phillips on the line. Callum Brown was trying to assert himself more with his running during drills. Max Lynch was also notably pushing hard on the track.

- Who was struggling? - Tohill and Keane are notably less physically developed. Tohill is very thin and was clearly having trouble in the heat by the end, being last one home of the 25 or so players in the 250m (albeit earlier he had been beating Cox in run throughs). Keane is more solid but little muscle tone. Their skills seemed pretty good though. Tohill was working on kicking at the end when I left

- Who were the leaders on the track? - Pendles, Mayne probably the most vocal I thought. Varcoe was taking Josh Daicos through an evasion exercise when I left. One of about 6 remaining on the track which included Magden and Appleby working on short passing together.

- Who's running the program? - Kevvy, Banger, Buddha, Longmuir were most notable. Sanderson, Boyd, Pebbles absent. Buckley fairly silent.

Last edited:

Crazy Tails

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2006
Collingwood Heartland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Is there any other teams?

My take

- hotter work today with the sun out and the balls out quite a bit. Fitness through football you might describe it. A lot of work focussed on working in traffic in restricted areas - A lot of keepings off 4 vs 3 but also 8 vs 8. Repeat run throughs in pairs with a handball from a coach as reward for whichever in the pair had built a gap on the other, but designed to handle the ball under fatigue. Transition from end to end by hand & foot. Contested work in pairs in the air amongst the taller players (Reid, Cox, Magden, Keane, Tohill, Mihocek) interspersed by running. Keane does impress as a spoiler in defence. Cox too big for both of his alternating opponents (Checkers and Keane)

- Absent, from memory, Crisp, Grundy, Treloar, Wells, Thomas, Maynard, Kelly, Goldsack, Greenwood, Scharenberg, (Dunn, who went for a walk)

- Reduced loads so mainly run throughs - Beams, Howe, Aish, Crocker, Broomhead (who tells me the pain is settling down slowly). Moore, Elliott did some kicking amongst themselves too in addition to some run throughs. All of these finished early before 11.30am

- Who impressed? - Stephenson is really pushing himself the whole time. Nathan Murphy pushed home hard to win the last group ~250m by passing Tom Phillips on the line. Callum Brown was trying to assert himself more with his running during drills. Max Lynch was also notably pushing hard on the track.

- Who was struggling? - Tohill and Keane are notably less physically developed. Tohill is very thin and was clearly having trouble in the heat by the end, being last one home of the 25 or so players in the 250m (albeit earlier he had been beating Cox in run throughs). Keane is more solid but little muscle tone. Their skills seemed pretty good though. Tohill was working on kicking at the end when I left

- Who were the leaders on the track? - Pendles, Mayne probably the most vocal I thought. Varcoe was taking Josh Daicos through an evasion exercise when I left. One of about 6 remaining on the track which included Magden and Appleby working on short passing together.

- Who's running the program? - Kevvy, Banger, Buddha, Longmuir were most notable. Sanderson, Boyd, Pebbles absent. Buckley fairly silent.

Thanks Albert Park; great summary.

I note your comment re: Broomhead and do worry about whether he can get back after that very serious leg break. With his move to the rookie list it wouldn't surprise me if he and the club are seeing how his recovery progresses over the summer as his loads are increased. If it gets to the end of pre season and he is still experiencing pain it wouldn't come as a shock to me if he just decided to pull the pin. I hope not but just get that feeling.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

My take

- Absent, from memory, Crisp, Grundy, Treloar, Wells, Thomas, Maynard, Kelly, Goldsack, Greenwood, Scharenberg, (Dunn, who went for a walk)

Is there a specific correlation between the heat and when the players get their balls out?

On a more general note, do they appear to have altered training drills to reflect 2019 rule changes?

Aug 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Is there a specific correlation between the heat and when the players get their balls out?

On a more general note, do they appear to have altered training drills to reflect 2019 rule changes?
Sorry, that comment was more specific to me. The old boys need cooling down on occasion ;-)

I'd say the drills are reflecting a general wish to incorporate ball work and replicates some of last season's push for contested ball and breaking out of congestion. I don't know about rule changes. I haven't followed them that closely. Ned Guy noting to me last week that he felt we largely structured up 6/6/6 already and that Grundy would be assisted (he did not trained today).

Aug 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thanks Albert Park; great summary.

I note your comment re: Broomhead and do worry about whether he can get back after that very serious leg break. With his move to the rookie list it wouldn't surprise me if he and the club are seeing how his recovery progresses over the summer as his loads are increased. If it gets to the end of pre season and he is still experiencing pain it wouldn't come as a shock to me if he just decided to pull the pin. I hope not but just get that feeling.
As Vicky also noted, Broomy's running gait is a little disjointed at present. He's a lot of a work in progress.

Aug 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Retrospect is a great thing. Truth is, he was the player we needed and came off a good season the year before we got him. Was it worth the risk? Yes. Has the risk paid off. No. But you can't predict these things with 100% accuracy. So I don't buy the "we pulled the wrong lever in the first place" argument. We pulled the right level -- it just wasn't a sure thing.
Agreed. Our connection into the forward line was terrible before he joined. He and Pendles ranked 1 & 2 for hitting targets inside 50 in the prior season. Hence the desire to pick him up. I have loved some of his work and did not appreciate how good he was. I think he actually shades Pendlebury with his ability to draw a man and get the handball over the top. Magic.

Aug 26, 2009
Yarra Bend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
No I wasn't at the Club today AP but thanks for the detailed report. I haven't had a close look at Tohill but he's a big, skinny kid from what I've seen. Keane looks more likely to my eyes, but then again, I thought Murphy was ahead of Stephenson over last summer, so it shows what I know. I think the full list trains on Monday and I suspect the 2KM time trial will be held then .

Speaking of which, has there been a time trial for the 4 year and under players? There usually is one, but I haven't heard it mentioned.

As Vicky also noted, Broomy's running gait is a little disjointed at present. He's a lot of a work in progress.

Feel sorry for the kid would be awful running around after an injury like that.

Darkyprotector

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood

My take

Interesting your observations concur with mine

I too noticed senior players stepping up and acting as coaching assistants , passing on tips
We're blessed to have quality senior players with renowned respected attributes

Put simply Mayne and the rest improve the training standards

The maturity and the believe of the group improves as does the outcomes

Also assists the game plan thru their footy iq

Aug 26, 2009
Yarra Bend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Do you think Tohill wasn't that impressive? I'd like to hope he'll turn into a KPF for us - it seems that's what the club is hoping.

On a completely unnecessary, unrelated note my gaydar goes off when I see Keane. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
I only saw Tohill from the other side of the ground without binoculars. I'll get a look at him on Monday.
BTW, when you say 'my gaydar goes off' when you see Keane, is that a comment about the boy or you?

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well done Phillips.
Our very own Ryan Gosling star :star:

Can we assume Steele didn’t do as go house situation?

Last edited:

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Haven't seen any pics of him. Understandable if so.
Totally understandable.

Looking at Toms gap in the trial to next in the run hence my summation no Steele.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’d love to see the time trial with them
Bouncing footballs every 15 meters.
They spill the ball stop, pick up ball.

Be very strange viewing.

Now back to reality- very good Quaynor. Impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back