North Melbourne and the 1990's

Remove this Banner Ad

What about the first half of the decade? Why can't that be the tie breaker?
I think 7 years out of ten being a serious contender as opposed to 5 years out of 10 is a pretty reliable sample.

2000 isn't part of the '90s and even if it was the team that lost the qualifying final by 20 goals was a serious contender?
I know that, it’s just an example of how long the “window” was open compared to other teams. And yeah you’re right really nobody was a contender to Essendon in 2000, was referring to the years spent being top 4 caliber though.

I think both teams were fearsome at their best. There was some ripping footy played over the 90s, Bombrés, Eagles and Roos fans can all look back and appreciate the spectacle they were given

I think 7 years out of ten being a serious contender as opposed to 5 years out of 10 is a pretty reliable sample.

Well I reckon being a contender for all ten years of the decade is worth more, especially when we kept on getting screwed out of home finals in the years you think we weren't serious contenders.

For every case you can make for one team deserving to be team of the decade, the other can come with a very good counter. Nearly twenty years of these sorts of discussions has taught me that.

Well I reckon being a contender for all ten years of the decade is worth more, especially when we kept on getting screwed out of home finals in the years you think we weren't serious contenders.

For every case you can make for one team deserving to be team of the decade, the other can come with a very good counter. Nearly twenty years of these sorts of discussions has taught me that.
You weren’t really a contender after 94 though, that’s the main difference.

Yeah North were probably the better team in terms of their ability to go deep in September and should have had more premierships.
West Coast really only missed 1 chance for a premiership, I remember pretty well the late 90s and come finals time not really having much confidence of going though, we did get screwed by the fixtures though.

Interesting stat:

West Coast played in the most finals (25) ever recorded in a decade, (North played in 18)
Next best is Hawthorn who played in 24 during the 1980s.

West Coast's W/L record (incl. finals) was 64.61% (#1 for the decade with North at 61.44%)
This is the 2nd lowest win % for a top team in a decade (Geelong at 61.49% in the 2000s has the lowest #1 winning %)
Perhaps an indication of how even the decade was?

As I stated in this thread already, and nameless and northernlights mentioned on this page above, WCE weren't really a serious contender after 1994. Perhaps not entirely true, as 1996 they were after dropping 4 straight, won their next 11 and that was only stopped by the rampaging and seriously emerging Brisbane Lions. 1996 Jacko went down mid season at home to the Saints, and the Eagles should have played their match against Essendon at home in week 2 of the finals. I don't think they would have won it, but they were a contender in 96. If not for the Bullshit MCG rule, they could have made a few more prelims which would swing the ball in their favour.

In 1999 after such a promising start, they capitulated to a heap.

edited - When they lost their 4th straight to the reigning champion Carlton in round 5 by a solitary point, they were robbed by a bogus goal given to Diesel Williams. Tony Evans, the Eagles player, was the one who soccered it through for a '' rushed behind ''

The fact that WCE didn't make a single prelim after 1994 { even if they were dealt a harsh card or three with eh MCG rule } that is why I give the team of the 90's title for North Melbourne.

The eagles weren’t really a serious premiership threat after 94, whereas North was every year from 93-2000. Same amount of flags but that’s the main tie breaker I’d say.

Ladder positions and regular season wins of each year
# = played finals

1990: WCE 3rd# (16-6)---NM 6th (12-10)
1991: WCE 1st# (19-3)---NM 8th (12-10)
1992: WCE 4th# (15-1-6)---NM 12th (7-15)
1993: WCE 6th# (12-8)---NM 3rd# (13-7)
1994: WCE 1st# (16-6)---NM 3rd# (13-9)
1995: WCE 5th# (14-8)---NM 6th# (14-8)
1996: WCE 4th# (15-7)---NM 2nd# (16-6)
1997: WCE 5th# (13-9)---NM 7th# (12-10)
1998: WCE 7th# (12-10)---NM 1st# (16-6)
1999: WCE 5th# (12-10)---NM 2nd# (17-5)

Same amount of flags, same amount of grand final apperances. West Coast finished higher than North 6 out of 10 years and played in every finals series and were sent to play "home" finals at the MCG.

Overall win-draw-loss record (including finals)
West Coast 156-2-85
North Melbourne 145-91

Usually Im not one to beat my chest about my team on here, but I think I know who the best club of the WHOLE decade were.

If the thread were called "north and the late 1990s" then Id be happy to pipe down

Last edited:
# = played finals

Same amount of flags, same amount of grand final apperances. West Coast finished higher than North 6 out of 10 years and played in every finals series and were sent to play "home" finals at the MCG.

West Coast 156-2-85
North Melbourne 145-91

Usually Im not one to beat my chest about my team on here, but I think I know who the best club of the WHOLE decade were.

If the thread were called "north and the late 1990s" then Id be happy to pipe down

Let’s be honest, the Collingwood 1990, Hawthorn 1991 and Essendon 1993 premiership teams of the early 90’s would have struggled to win a final in any other period in modern football.

Compare that to the teams that were dominating in the late 90’s, North Melbourne, Essendon and Brisbane.

There is a gulf in the quality of football between the early and late 90’s sides.

# = played finals

West Coast 156-2-85
North Melbourne 145-91

No prelim after 94, therefore not really a contender after 94. North were a top end team for more years in the 90’s than WC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No prelim after 94, therefore not really a contender after 94. North were a top end team for more years in the 90’s than WC.
You are certainly trying your very best to dismiss how ordinary North were at the start of the decade, aren't you?

Let’s be honest, the Collingwood 1990, Hawthorn 1991 and Essendon 1993 premiership teams of the early 90’s would have struggled to win a final in any other period in modern football.

Compare that to the teams that were dominating in the late 90’s, North Melbourne, Essendon and Brisbane.

There is a gulf in the quality of football between the early and late 90’s sides.

yeah coz Adelaide were a classic premiership side???
And lets face it, Essendon wouldve started favs against North had they not choked in 1999 prelim.
St.Kilda were good for two years exactly and then faded away very quickly into absolute patheticness.

Loads of team that flatter to decieve in every season.

You are certainly trying your very best to dismiss how ordinary North were at the start of the decade, aren't you?
Two ordinary seasons and one bad one. I’m not arguing that WC weren’t competent in more years than us, but they weren’t elite in more years than us.

I really dont rate this particular criteria as the deciding factor.
Gues we`ll have to agree to disagree.

Plus North kind of just had a good fortnight in the finals series of 1997 before being exposed by St.Kilda. They were hardly realistic contenders for much of that year.
Also hard to argue that West Coast werent a contender in 1996, finished top four and really shouldve had the semi against Essendon played in Perth, which wouldve increased the liklihood of moving through to the prelims.

I really dont rate this particular criteria as the deciding factor.
Gues we`ll have to agree to disagree.

Plus North kind of just had a good fortnight in the finals series of 1997 before being exposed by St.Kilda. They were hardly realistic contenders for much of that year.
Also hard to argue that West Coast werent a contender in 1996, finished top four and really shouldve had the semi against Essendon played in Perth, which wouldve increased the liklihood of moving through to the prelims.
We can agree to disagree, just think the deciding factor should be how well you did more often as opposed to how adequate you were more often.

97 was a very even year that a number of teams could have won it, a 7th placed north that was starting to get players back from injury was always going to be a danger in the finals.

North had three seasons in the whole decade where they won 15 or more games, West Coast had five

yeah coz Adelaide were a classic premiership side???
And lets face it, Essendon wouldve started favs against North had they not choked in 1999 prelim.
St.Kilda were good for two years exactly and then faded away very quickly into absolute patheticness.

Loads of team that flatter to decieve in every season.

There is a very good reason the quality of football picked up from the mid 90’s.

By 1998 over 250 players in the AFL were earning over $100,000 per year (some up to $500k), and every senior player in the competition was earning $60,000 plus. They could afford be full time athletes training during the day.

In 1990 there were 8 earning over $100k and only 88 over $60k. Only 4-5 players from each team were full time athletes, the rest were all working during the day and training in the evening.

There is a very good reason the quality of football picked up in the mid 90’s.

By 1998 over 250 players in the AFL were earning over $100,000 per year (some up to $500k), and every senior player in the competition was earning $60,000 plus. They could afford be full time athletes training during the day.

In 1990 there were 8 earning over $100k and only 88 over $60k. They were all working during the day and training in the evening.

Well then we should say Geelong was the team of the 2000s and not Brisbane because the game was more professional when they were good.
I guess we just have different perceptions of what constitutes being the best club of the 1990s.
I think one thing we can settle on is that they were the two best performing clubs of the decade, we just differ on the order we put them in :)

North had three seasons in the whole decade where they won 15 or more games, West Coast had five
Yet didn’t go deep into as many finals series’ as north. I repeat this I know, but I think it’s the reason why most people give North the nod as team of the 90’s.

No way. That Hawthorn outfit of 91 were battled hardened and finished the year the best side hands down. Beat WCE convincingly in a Perth final week 1, a side who lost only 3 home and away games all year, winning their first 12. One of those losses was in the last home and away game of the year. A dead rubber. The Eagles had top spot sewn up for a while. Hawthorn belted them by 53 points on Grand Final day after conceding the opening 4 goals.

Dunstall, Platten, Jarman, Hudson, Collins, Tuck, Langford, Allan, Ayres, Prtitchard, Anderson etc. Hawthorn of 1991 were ******* class.

You can't discredit any of those sides. Pies 1990, Dons 1993. So many champions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back