Should a Victorian team move part time to Gold Coast?

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
So you didnt say just steal another clubs name due to history?
Really?

Hmm let's check.

You really need to make up your mind.

Pick a suggestion and stick with it maybe?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Again, you're can't comprehend.

Why is it so hard for you to understand?

I'm not wishing that

I'm merely suggesting that using a know identity would stand a better chance of success than an unknow identity

Do you get it now? Do have to state every micro detail of my position for you to understand?

But hey I'm just a flog who's got no idea right?

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
I dont think your dumb, and your position isn't irrational. I happen to happen to disagree, possibly I was a bit too agressive.

Your post did cross a line though. I do get your very frustrated.

Thanks Issac for understanding, yes I have got frustrated which is little out of character for me. It's annoying that some on here immediately jump on the wrong conclusion of my position without reading previous discussion and then accuse me of death trolling clubs or wishing to dismantle a club (sharks) and calling me a flog.

I shouldn't have to explain every micro detail of which should be fairly evident to what I'm posting.

I'm also a little miffed at the arrogance of HQ who simply believes the qld locals will just jump on board a brand new team and take up the game just because HQ wish so.

That's all I'm pointing out.

Maybe my post you're referring to was a touch strong, not crossing the line though IMV. "Simpletons" is hardly that of high abuse or trolling, if it were then no one would be online and discussing.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Again, you're can't comprehend.

Why is it so hard for you to understand?

I'm not wishing that

I'm merely suggesting that using a know identity would stand a better chance of success than an unknow identity

Do you get it now? Do have to state every micro detail of my position for you to understand?

But hey I'm just a flog who's got no idea right?

No need to get upset. I qouted your post exactly which stated use the name instead of promote the club.

Which is even more plastic and would of gotten everyone offside.

If you want to confirm my thoughts then go right ahead.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
No need to get upset. I qouted your post exactly which stated use the name instead of promote the club.

Which is even more plastic and would of gotten everyone offside.

If you want to confirm my thoughts then go right ahead.

Upset? You call me a flog and claim I'm the one getting upset?!

I am now certain now you are not reading the posts.

My position is clear, I do not wish any of these to pass. I'm merely suggesting that a know identity would work better than a complete new start up.

If you cannot understand that then you cannot comprehend, that is most evident.

I pity you if you cannot make sense of this, it's pretty basic.

Don't bother replying as it obvious you are having trouble comprehending.

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
Regardless of what they said or think at the end of the day we're now having conversations on how to fix the whole sorry mess.

It's very fixable.

The Gold Coast Suns have only been in the AFL competition for eight years.

The Suns already have better training facilities than the Brisbane Lions (hopefully that will change soon), a 24,526 seat home ground, over 12,000 members and average home crowd of 13,000. And that's after finishing 15th, 17th and 17th over the past three seasons. That would seem to suggest that they have established a base that they can build upon with a bit of on-field success.

In 2014, when they finished in their highest ladder position (12th), the Suns made just over a $1 million profit.

Whichever way you boil it down one was a known identity at the time the other wasn't known at all and no one had any interest in it............... except HQ.

i'm not sure that would have made much difference. The Southport Sharks were polarising. The name of the new club needed to be Gold Coast and it wasnt going to be the Gold Coast Sharks.

And now we're gonna have to wait decades for GC to bare any fruit.

But bear fruit it will.

The AFL are looking long term. 30 years down the track the situation is very likely to be different. Continued exposure of AFL at all levels will see growth in participation rates and interest. For example there was a 16.87 per cent increase in Australian rules competition participants across club, school, and AFL9s between 2015 and 2016 in Queensland alone. The introduction of the AFL Queensland Schools Cup in 2016 sparked an increase of almost 25% in school participants (419 teams). Female football was one of the fastest growing sectors of the game in Queensland with 87,185 Queensland women and girls playing Australia’s game in 2016 – a jump of 22 per cent. The Auskick recorded a 15 per cent increase in club and community run programs in Queensland.

In 2017 overall participation across all levels of the game in Queensland jumped 10.21 per cent to a record 252,624.

So 30 years down the track with more young people playing AFL that will translate into greater adult interest, greater crowds and greater membership. For young elite athletes there are now two clear pathways to play at the highest level in Queensland, instead of adopting alternative sports. Having two clubs in Queensland enables more Queensland footballers to do that.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Upset? You call me a flog and claim I'm the one getting upset?!

I am now certain now you are not reading the posts.

My position is clear, I do not wish any of these to pass. I'm merely suggesting that a know identity would work better than a complete new start up.

If you cannot understand that then you cannot comprehend, that is most evident.

I pity you if you cannot make sense of this, it's pretty basic.

Don't bother replying as it obvious you are having trouble comprehending.

You posted it.

I qouted it exactly as you posted.

Amusing that you struggle with this.

If you have changed your mind, fine.

All the best to you.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
It's very fixable.

The Gold Coast Suns have only been in the AFL competition for eight years.

The Suns already have better training facilities than the Brisbane Lions (hopefully that will change soon), a 24,526 seat home ground, over 12,000 members and average home crowd of 13,000. And that's after finishing 15th, 17th and 17th over the past three seasons. That would seem to suggest that they have established a base that they can build upon with a bit of on-field success.

In 2014, when they finished in their highest ladder position (12th), the Suns made just over a $1 million profit.

i'm not sure that would have made much difference. The Southport Sharks were polarising. The name of the new club needed to be Gold Coast and it wasnt going to be the Gold Coast Sharks.

But bear fruit it will.

The AFL are looking long term. 30 years down the track the situation is very likely to be different. Continued exposure of AFL at all levels will see growth in participation rates and interest. For example there was a 16.87 per cent increase in Australian rules competition participants across club, school, and AFL9s between 2015 and 2016 in Queensland alone. The introduction of the AFL Queensland Schools Cup in 2016 sparked an increase of almost 25% in school participants (419 teams). Female football was one of the fastest growing sectors of the game in Queensland with 87,185 Queensland women and girls playing Australia’s game in 2016 – a jump of 22 per cent. The Auskick recorded a 15 per cent increase in club and community run programs in Queensland.

In 2017 overall participation across all levels of the game in Queensland jumped 10.21 per cent to a record 252,624.

So 30 years down the track with more young people playing AFL that will translate into greater adult interest, greater crowds and greater membership. For young elite athletes there are now two clear pathways to play at the highest level in Queensland, instead of adopting alternative sports. Having two clubs in Queensland enables more Queensland footballers to do that.
The most frustrating thing in any discussion about the expansion clubs is most peoples inability to see the timeframes.

This despite the AFL and the clubs stating it's a long game at every opportunity.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
But bear fruit it will.

The AFL are looking long term. 30 years down the track the situation is very likely to be different

Agreed but HQ were never going to publicly state "this is going to be a very long haul and for a long initial term we're going to be throwing funds at something that does not look likely to succeed in the short term"

You and I and everyone else knows it is a long long road, but you get the impression (or I do at least) that HQ have a notion of "nothing to see here move on" - it seems that is the message they want the public to receive.

To me that's a little arrogant and insults the intelligence of the football watching public.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Let's not pretend that Southport have ever had anything in the same realm as SANFL Port Adelaide levels of support. Doubt they've ever had more than 5000 people at more than a handful of regular season home games, they were never going to bring a huge number of existing supporters, especially since fans of other clubs may have been turned off.

What I think Southport could have brought is an actual club culture given their history of success, which is something the Suns seem to have understandably lacked since the beginning. But who knows how that would have translated at AFL level.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Let's not pretend that Southport have ever had anything in the same realm as SANFL Port Adelaide levels of support. Doubt they've ever had more than 5000 people at more than a handful of regular season home games, they were never going to bring a huge number of existing supporters, especially since fans of other clubs may have been turned off.

What I think Southport could have brought is an actual club culture given their history of success, which is something the Suns seem to have understandably lacked since the beginning. But who knows how that would have translated at AFL level.

Port Adelaide only carried a couple of players over to the AFL. Not sure how many staff but not many.
The gap between the SANFL and the AFL was a lot smaller than Southport would have faced.

There was enough of a groundswell for a local GC group to petition the AFL for a licence. I'm not sure what links the GC17 group had with Southport but it seems unlikely there were none. They made up most of the eventual board

Very different to our birth where the AFL effectively petitioned itself for our licence.

maskmcgee

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2017
The Windy Apple
AFL Club
Essendon

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Port Adelaide only carried a couple of players over to the AFL. Not sure how many staff but not many.

I didn't suggest they carried over many players. But they did pick a Port Adelaide legend as their foundation coach, a Port Adelaide legend as their captain, brought their traditional home as a training ground and headquarters, and most importantly brought die-hard supporters. Southport had the last in much smaller quantities and Riewoldt was obviously not coming back home, but there is a value to continuity and history, as well as proven competent financial organisation. Again, may not have translated, and it's all a moot point anyway.

Tom_Thumb

Club Legend
Feb 1, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Merge Gold Coast with Norfs, relocate Hawthorn to Tassie and merge Carlton and the Bulldogs. Move Essendon to the NT and then we will have a truly National competition not the junk we have now with 4 million teams in one city.

Merge Gold Coast with Norfs, relocate Hawthorn to Tassie and merge Carlton and the Bulldogs. Move Essendon to the NT and then we will have a truly National competition not the junk we have now with 4 million teams in one city.

I look forward to WC being taxed heavily by the AFL to pay for it all.

gillo94

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2014
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Why

But won't

Won't finish higher than 18th either

No draw is favourable to Carlton

Went miles backwards last year but sure, getting better, whatever you say

Did I say Blues? Could be bombers or saints that play part time, heaps of teams do it.

gillo94

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2014
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Yes. That's why I quoted you saying 'Carlton".

If Blues were to say playing part time in Gold Coast, Cairns, another part of Tassie, Singapore, or wherever. I wouldn’t mind personally, that’s just me. If we’re to play3-4 games then whatever. Gold Coast in the event Suns fold.

As I said, heaps of teams do it. Melbourne play 2 games in NT, Bulldogs play in Ballarat, teams playing in Tasmania. It’s maybe the direction the comp is having.

You said it's all we've done and that's rubbish.

Frankly it's selfish and small minded of the clubs in a strong financial position not to tighten their belts, and offer more to the expansion clubs. We've shouldered the responsibility for taking the game into new territory, and every club benefits. When the pie gets bigger everyone gets a bigger slice.

You didn’t “shoulder any responsibility”

You were designed for the purpose. It isn’t your responsibility, it’s what the afl made you for.

Back