Traded 2018 Live Trade: Carlton trade #4 (2019) to Adelaide for #19 (2018) and #9 (2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

In round 1 Carlton will have 10-12 changes from that game and Adelaide maybe 4-5 so no relevance whatsoever.
Richmond got flogged by Sydney in Round 23 2016 by 113 points and you know what happened next
Richmond didnt finish last that year.

Richmond didnt finish last that year.

I'm not surely how that point flew so spectacularly over your head. The last round of the year can often end in a dead rubber; some teams just want to get to the finish line, and others need a win to generate some optimism going into the off-season. Given the huge gulf in talent and experience that game was always a chance of being a blowout.

In Richmond's case, they seriously failed in 2016 after being hyped up the previous year following a big back-end to their season. Their finishing position actually makes their Round 23 game look significantly worse than the previous years grand finalists beating up on the wooden spoon team.

I dunno why Adelaide are seen as certainties for Top 4, as many believe.

Hard to place the Top 8 from last year plus Essendon and North Melbourne as possible big improvers. Also think the Bulldogs are a real smoky for the Top 8 next year.

I think 5-8 is more likely, but 9-10 wouldn't surprise me either. 16th-14th is the likely range for us IMO - worst case a spot below, best case a few spots higher.
Stop making sense you’re ruining the thread

In round 1 Carlton will have 10-12 changes from that game and Adelaide maybe 4-5 so no relevance whatsoever.
Richmond got flogged by Sydney in Round 23 2016 by 113 points and you know what happened next

In rd 1 2019 the Crows will have anywhere from 6 to 9 changes from that rd 23 game.
And 5-7 changes from the rd 7 team.

Look all banter aside, If the crows get a top 3 pick at the end of next year - they are finally going to be able to take one of the very top kids in a draft year OR maybe they will use it to try and pry Rankine or Lukosius away from GC. Either way, the club should have a great hand next year. For Carlton, they got a guy they wanted this year and have a most likely mid to later 1st round pick to use next year - hardly a disaster and as you point out it was time for your club to draw a line in the sand and say enough is enough and back themselves in to start moving up the ladder

Exactly...ultimately you can see why both clubs did what they did and hopefully it will end up a win-win.

From Carlton's POV:
We apparently rated Stocker 6th, meaning the immediate value of the pick swaps was worth it anyway when you add Adelaide's 2019 first
We have a lot of top 10 draft pick kids on our list already...even if our 2019 first is a top 5 pick it's not as important to us as it would to other clubs
We are likely to attempt to involve our 2019 first pick in a trade for a mature gun player anyway

From Adelaide's POV:
Had lots of high picks this year so didn't really need pick 19 that bad
Likely the pick they get from us will be their highest draft pick ever to get a young gun or trade for Lukosius or Rankine

Interesting nugget for those interested. Know a bloke very close to Dimmas son who said we had Stocker rated at 26 in our rankings. Carlton apparently had Stocker rated at 6 I’ve read elsewhere. Very interesting the difference between the two clubs

It is interesting the difference is so big at the pointy end of the draft.

But at the same time i reckon these kind of differences exist every year, all the time...we just don't know it.
Different clubs have different priorities that define their 'best available'.

Stocker missed the champs due to injury so that probably made him fly under the radar a little bit and also means to some recruiters he's a bit unproven to go that high in the draft since they didn't see him play against the other best kids which would help rate and compare them directly.

We may be taking a bit of a punt that some of the attributes we've seen in him hold him in good stead to be a good AFL player, rather than having necessarily lots of proven performances to back it up in the champs like some other kids have.

I dunno why Adelaide are seen as certainties for Top 4, as many believe.

Hard to place the Top 8 from last year plus Essendon and North Melbourne as possible big improvers. Also think the Bulldogs are a real smoky for the Top 8 next year.

I think 5-8 is more likely, but 9-10 wouldn't surprise me either. 16th-14th is the likely range for us IMO - worst case a spot below, best case a few spots higher.
Who is claiming we are top 4 certainties?

Most Crows supporters are confident we should return to finals with a better injury run... but not many are claiming we are monties for top 4.

Who is claiming we are top 4 certainties?

Most Crows supporters are confident we should return to finals with a better injury run... but not many are claiming we are monties for top 4.

Look at the pick evaluations over the course of the thread. 18-15 is Top 4, no? Pick 14 is still 5th, Pick 13 is still 6th and so on and so forth.

By my estimation Adelaide are a mid-range team contending with a glut of talented mid-range teams. They’re capable of mixing it with good teams but don’t have the top-end talent of West Coast, Richmond, Collingwood or even GWS or Geelong. Sure, they’ve got quality across the park, but even putting an easy draw aside, they still have to win the games they’re expected to win.

I see teams like Brisbane, Fremantle and the Bulldigs as being danger games for any team next year too.

Far too early too call at this point how either team is going to stack up.

Carlton fans in this thread:

Adelaide aren't a certainty to improve next season the top 8 from last year are all good sides plus Essendon & North will be looking to jump up the ladder . Through in a couple of big improvers and the race for finals is 12 teams deep.

Also Carlton fans in this thread:

We expect to win 8 games next year.

o_Oo_Oo_O

Adelaide aren't a certainty to improve next season the top 8 from last year are all good sides plus Essendon & North will be looking to jump up the ladder . Through in a couple of big improvers and the race for finals is 12 teams deep.

o_Oo_Oo_O
Be careful. Criticise Carlton too much and you might get called a "closet Crows fan".

o_Oo_Oo_O

Supporters on both sides have extreme views about where their teams will finish.

Completely possible Adelaide make the Top 4, and almost as likely (but perhaps less so) Carlton will miss the Bottom 4, which we already managed in 2016 under Bolton.

These are hardly huge predictions.

Couldn't be more wrong.

I have given credit where it's due. On a number of occasions, I've congratulated Silvagni when I think he's deserved it, but by the same token, when he builds a list that wins two games, loses twenty and has a percentage of 59%, I think criticism of Silvagni, and Bolton for that matter- is very, very fair.

Marchbank and Pickett were picks that Silvagni butchered in the first place, I'm glad he took them off our hands.

Kennedy, I was disappointed about but he was on our fringes and I'll never begrudge a player the opportunity to set himself up for the future by taking a long term deal with the potential for more playing time.

Setterfield I was incredibly disappointed about. He was the second best prospect I've ever seen come through our club, after Kelly. But again, he gave his all at the Giants and well done to him for having the guts to back himself by going to a club that he has the potential to lead in the future. He is the potential difference maker for the Blues in my opinion, and Silvagni has done incredibly well to secure him :thumbsu:

If the four you've mentioned lead Carlton to success then I'll be the first to laud the praise on Carlton and their list management for bringing them to the club. However, success means winning more than two games in a season.

Gutting a list, as hard as what we have, is almost akin to starting from scratch. Surely you of all people, would know that wins, in the now, is not an indication of what will be

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You did not watch Milera this past year it is very apparent.

Just been reading the “which player has the greatest trade value” thread. See Curnow’s name mentioned a few times by neutrals. Nothing about Milera. The 2015 draft redo thread has Curnow right up there in many estimations, Milera not so much.

If the benchmark for a “sensible viewpoint” is Milera being on par with Curnow to this point, you’re not going to find it anywhere but from other Crows posters.

Just been reading the “which player has the greatest trade value” thread. See Curnow’s name mentioned a few times by neutrals. Nothing about Milera. The 2015 draft redo thread has Curnow right up there in many estimations, Milera not so much.

If the benchmark for a “sensible viewpoint” is Milera being on par with Curnow to this point, you’re not going to find it anywhere but from other Crows posters.
Probably because Milera is going nowhere. Adelaide boy and loves playing for the Crows.

Wow. Such arrogance. You'd think their team had just done a Hawthorn style 3peat instead of being the perpetual cellar dwellers that they are.
it comes down to perception - the vic media pump up the tyres of all their locals and the interstaters don't get the same exposure. Look at someone like Luke Shuey at West Coast - fantastic player and brilliant in the GF - but before the game how much did we all know of him outside of WA in comparison to guys like De Goey who had every vic journalist and tv station pumping up his tyres. Naturally the more exposure a player gets in the media the more people look out for them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back