Draft Profile Liam Stocker

Remove this Banner Ad

Once again you have no idea what you're talking about. Carlton still has a first round pick next year from Adelaide. It's not stocker vs a top 4 pick next year at all. It's stocker and Adelaide's first vs our first next year. We will trade that pick regardless for a big name anyway measuring this will be very difficulty. As I stated earlier, it's a win for everyone.
and if only you had taken that approach this year - instead of sam walsh if you traded pick 1 for crows picks 8 & 13 you could have got Jye Caldwell AND Stocker and kept the high pick for next year to take another top 3 mid

Great call by the blues to trade with Adelaide.
Both teams winners.

Adelaide will no doubt get a top 5 pick in the 2019 draft.

Carlton get a quality mid this year and another 1st round pick next year possibly in the 10-14 range imo.

I think we can sometimes get overwhelmed with the high number of a pick. Yes sure most top 10 picks turn out damn good these days. So adelaide would have been more than happy to take our 2019 pick.

I suspect if the 1st round 2019 pick carlton get from adelaide falls into the 10-14 pick range, we will see 1 of 2 things. 1 carlton will trade this pick and maybe the 2020 1st for top mature talent. Or 2, carlton will go after a crafty forward type with speed.

I couldn't care less if the pick adelaide get is pick 1. For me, as long as stocker becomes a player and we put our 2019 1st to good use, both teams are winners.

Last edited:
This is all that really needs to be said about the CFC in regards to Stocker:

1. Carlton rated Stocker the 6th best player for Carlton in this draft.
2. Carlton may not at this stage, rate next years draft to be as good as this one has been.
3. Carlton is confident about having a much better year than for this year, obviously.
4. Carlton would not have assessed Adelaides possible ladder finish next year. That's not relative nor should have come into the equation.
5. Carlton get a year into a player they wanted now, rather than wait another year for an 18y.o. Carlton don't really need any more kids.
6. Carlton is very likely to be trading out next years first, whatever that may be and this would have been factored into the decision.

Put together all those points and it's not hard to see that the trade had merit.
Whether Stocker ends up being as good as Carlton rated him though, makes for a discussion further down the line.

I dont know much about the kids in the draft, but maybe Carlton looked at next years draft and the quality of inside mids likely to be available and thought Stocker was/is going to be just as good?

Only time will tell.

Personally im thinking Carlton will be making a big play for Kelly next year

GWS will be asking for 2 1st round picks

Carlton will say ........ Sure here you go 2019+2020 1st rounders

Well thats what Sos would hoping for
We'll be asking Kelly to stay. There's a lot of hoops to jump through for a club to focus on that as their strategy next year. The Blues posters position that they have the talented kids now and will trade to fill holes as they develop makes sense to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally im thinking Carlton will be making a big play for Kelly next year

GWS will be asking for 2 1st round picks

Carlton will say ........ Sure here you go 2019+2020 1st rounders

Well thats what Sos would hoping for
I cant see Kelly leaving for a team not in contention.
Especially if GWS dont win it next year.

I cant see Kelly leaving for a team not in contention.
Especially if GWS dont win it next year.
With another year into the youth at Carlton plus Kelly and 1-2 decent free agents they wont be far off playing finals

They are not going to stay down for ever and have now got a list full of young talent

We'll be asking Kelly to stay. There's a lot of hoops to jump through for a club to focus on that as their strategy next year. The Blues posters position that they have the talented kids now and will trade to fill holes as they develop makes sense to me.
It does however if they are thinking of making a play for Kelly next year, would not a possible top 3 pick and maybe a 2020 1st rounder look far more attractive to GWS than a 2019 teens 1st and a 2020 1st? - if it meant forgoing Stocker to get kelly next year or maybe missing Kelly because the picks Carlton have don't get the job done for GWS?..but that hinges on whether Carlton actually want kelly

When you look at this trade you have to calculate the value of a player in hand. Having a pick to draft or trade with next year does the Crows no good this year and in the long term can only help them in terms of age profile. Obviously they'll expect to take a good player with what will likely be a high pick, but still it provides no value to their list right now.

For the Blues having an extra year of development in a high quality midfielder like Stocker mitigates the pure loss of value in future draft picks. By this time next year you can think of the trade being
Adelaide trading a talented 19 year old mid with a year of development and pick ~10 for Carlton's pick ~2.

If this was done last year you could think of it as trading Lukosius for something like Ed Richards and Jy Caldwell. I wouldn't do that trade because Lukosius is probably the best pick 2 since Jarryd Roughead, but it isn't a disaster. Ed Richards will probably have a great year in 2019, building on his very good debut year. The point is that development has a value and you can't look simply at pick position.

I did listen I do not agree with your conclusion. If I were a fan of a rebuilding club (and i had been for a long ass time), I would be concerned at trading away, what is predicted by experts/markets to essentially top2 pick.

Obviously Carlton have gone the other way. We still see how it plays out long term.
It does however if they are thinking of making a play for Kelly next year, would not a possible top 3 pick and maybe a 2020 1st rounder look far more attractive to GWS than a 2019 teens 1st and a 2020 1st? - if it meant forgoing Stocker to get kelly next year or maybe missing Kelly because the picks Carlton have don't get the job done for GWS?..but that hinges on whether Carlton actually want kelly
If Kelly leaves GWS you would think he'd go to North. Free agents is what we'll be after.

Mostly though it's a dangerous strategy be planning that detail this far out with so many variables. It makes discussion on BF but no recruiting team would be that stupid in view.

Later next year if he hasn't resigned and if you're getting positivity from his manager, sure.

If Kelly leaves GWS you would think he'd go to North. Free agents is what we'll be after.

Who do you think you'll be after? Have you seen the FA list for 2019? Other than Coniglio it's not exactly bursting with talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back