Player Watch #14 Callum Mills (c)

Remove this Banner Ad

Callum_Mills_2017.4.jpg

Callum Mills

Callum Mills is one of the best young players in the AFL. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2016 AFL Rising Star award and was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in three of his four eligible years. Mills is a small defender with uncompromising courage who’s also capable of shifting through the midfield. The New South Welshman was elevated to Sydney’s leadership group during the 2018 pre-season at the age of just 21, and he’s now a member of a five-man leadership panel alongside co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Lance Franklin.

Callum Mills
DOB: 02 April 1997
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #3, 2015 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: North Shore (NSW)

There was no move to sglhift him when he was fit Mick. If there is any evidence they were going to then where is it? He was playing back when injured.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
How did the backline fare with injury prior to Mills going down Wolfie? He was going to play mid. Melican spoiled the party and Aliir was struggling. He had to play back as there was nobody else!

How did the backline fare with injury prior to Mills going down Wolfie? He was going to play mid. Melican spoiled the party and Aliir was struggling. He had to play back as there was nobody else!

Melican and Aliir played the first 5 games between them and Callum was stationed down back for all of those games

Melican and Aliir played the first 5 games between them and Callum was stationed down back for all of those games
Melican did his hammy Rd 1, along with Sam Reid. Aliir didn’t play. Try again as next season is 2018!

Cannot wait to have Millsy back... no matter where he plays!

I think he would tear it up in the middle BUT, I don't want to sacrifice either his development or the benefit the team gets having him play a defensive role. I suspect he was marked as the Macca replacement. A cool head under pressure & able to create time to work in tight space getting a little kick out to open up the play.

He is fast becoming a favourite of mine so I may be a little biased. But I think his value to the team is far ahead of where most kids his age & experience would be & despite that he's held up & slowly just built... Getting better & better with each passing game.

This layoff has probably helped him get in better physical nick than he otherwise would've been & in retrospect could be a significant advantage if he can step up another level this year because of that extra conditioning.

But I guess we'll wait & see. Either way, pumped to see Millsy back.

I think he would tear it up in the middle BUT, I don't want to sacrifice either his development or the benefit the team gets having him play a defensive role. I suspect he was marked as the Macca replacement. A cool head under pressure & able to create time to work in tight space getting a little kick out to open up the play.

He is fast becoming a favourite of mine so I may be a little biased. But I think his value to the team is far ahead of where most kids his age & experience would be & despite that he's held up & slowly just built... Getting better & better with each passing game.

This layoff has probably helped him get in better physical nick than he otherwise would've been & in retrospect could be a significant advantage if he can step up another level this year because of that extra conditioning.

I know this is a big call but the player he reminds me of particularly with his marking ability and just all round football intelligence is the great Ian Stewart. If he is half as good in the centre that will do me.

He never trained with the mids is more my point. If he had started the season training with the mids I'd agree with you. But I think Longmire was backing him in at HB for one more season and then making the move. Move made now. Training with the mids group

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with all of the above but I also think Georgie Hewett deserves more recognition. I've been just as impressed, if not more so, by Hewett's first 50 or so games as I have been with Mills. He's been a great lock-down player for us but I'm so keen to see him be unleashed as a midfield bull. Think he could be the best of the lot if given the chance

Melican did his hammy Rd 1, along with Sam Reid. Aliir didn’t play. Try again as next season is 2018!
Melican did not do his hammy in R1 he did it in R3. They both went down in R3. Reid only managed that game. But the reality is Mills played for three rounds along side Melican, Grundy and, Rampe. He did not train with the mids at all. He could have trained and played mids from the start. But he didn't.

He never trained with the mids is more my point. If he had started the season training with the mids I'd agree with you. But I think Longmire was backing him in at HB for one more season and then making the move. Move made now. Training with the mids group

He was training mid and it’s in the article which was written in 2017, he was also training mid with the intention of playing mid in 2018, hence my mention of Melican.

Melican did not do his hammy in R1 he did it in R3. They both went down in R3. Reid only managed that game. But the reality is Mills played for three rounds along side Melican, Grundy and, Rampe. He did not train with the mids at all. He could have trained and played mids from the start. But he didn't.

Correct, my fat thumb is the result of that one, coordination is the other!

Oh by the way, you were wanting evidence? Where was the evidence that we were going to re-sign Lloyd or that Newman would no longer be at the club? Oh that’s right, there was none, just a kind word from a source which I openly communicated on here. Would you like the evidence that Lee Harvey Oswald killed John F Kennedy too?

Last edited:
Hope that rope tossing is new a rule this year
Confirmed. Defenders will control the skipping rope and attacking players will have to skip through it, complete "Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear turn around" before a goal is given the all clear. Another sensible rule change from AFL House.

Oh by the way, you were wanting evidence? Where was the evidence that we were going to re-sign Lloyd or that Newman would no longer be at the club? Oh that’s right, there was none, just a kind word from a source which I openly communicated on here. Would you like the evidence that Lee Harvey Oswald killed John F Kennedy too?
Well he didn't, it was a CIA handler and he just ****ed up.

Not sure exactly what you're trying to say here Mick, but the evidence was that in the 9 games he played prior to injury he didn't spend any time in the midfield

It's hardly the stuff of conspiracy theories

Remove this Banner Ad

Back