What mentality got us a premiership compared to what didn't!

Remove this Banner Ad

tigertigertiger

Club Legend
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 11, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
What I remember about 2017 is that the mentality was, play to enjoy your footy, school yard style, play to your ability type of stuff. That just clicked, the group clicked ect. 2018 it was business and expectation. The lessons of 2018 I think will be a massive advantage both football business and expectation wise and to go back to what worked best ect. ect ect ect....ect.....just thinking out loud here, but we certainly have the best list so if they can go back to enjoying it, having each others backs and ignoring expectation then we have a three peat.

Complacency. The last few games of 2018 we won, but looked ordainary. @017 we were steam rolling teams. I honestley think if we had lost a few of those games late 2018 it would have changed our focus especially the bulldogs game. We went into finals in 2018 thinking we had it won. Playing Hawks first re inforced that thinking. Hawks are an ordainary team these days and we accounted for them but without the ferocity of 2017. It all led to a loss against the injury ridden pies. We were complacent. Played injured players, Dusty couldnt kick Astbury was rooted and probably others PLUS our mindset was that of unbeatable. In finals you need to be 100% on.

Despite all the media BS, we actually didn't ever appear to be near our best in 2018. Martin and Rance were well below their 2017 form which I suspect they will struggle to ever reach again.
Got a couple of years of being there abouts before being on the end of some lean years , we dont have any real match winners coming through.
I doubt any side has had 4 stand outs as good as Jack ,Rance, Cotchin and Martin were collectively in 2017.
We had quite a few ordinary players who rode on our stars performances and good on them, but they are and never will be good enough to fill the void these 4 will leave.

I don’t think we necessarily did a whole lot wrong in terms of mentality etc. Shouldn’t be understated how bloody hard it is to win a flag, even to back it up and be there at the pointy end of last season was a pretty good effort. There were probably little things that were there in 2017 that weren’t in 2018, we ran into the finals 2017 in white hot form with an almost completely healthy list. 2018 we weren’t in nearly as good form and although we weren’t missing too many, we had quite a few guys playing at well below 100%.

In the end it possibly just comes down to the fact Collingwood were outstanding on the day and we were a bit off, that’s footy. As much as all clubs try to control everything within an inch, there’s so much of our game which is completely unpredictable and that you can’t do much about, and that’s a wonderful trait to have in a sport.

TL;DR: Flags are bloody hard to win, there’s a lot of things which can’t be controlled, and as far as I can see we were ran just as professionally and just as well as we were the year before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I spoke to a mate from a while back who was a Richmond supporter, long time, even longer than me. We were talking about the emotions of the game that day in retrospect, the time, especially given the context of the drought we suffered for years. Without trying he was talking with the same mindset as myself, the fact he was in shock, the fact we knew exactly what Richo and Gale were thinking and experiencing when the concept of actually winning did not resonate until late in the last quarter when we mathematically was virtually impossible to get beat for time.

That 2017 period I felt everything went right for us. I am not saying we didn't deserve it, but a lot fell our way to give us a shot. The lack of injuries helped, the surprise factor with Townsend etc.. helped, who we actually played in terms of the finals path and where including Adelaide at the G helped. We earned the victory but I know at the time I felt something was going to beat us, it always did, however when I looked how things were shaping and presenting themselves, week in week out, at the time in the run, I still felt quietly confident each time I felt the need to check myself, without being too confident, in the sense I thought things were to our advantage in the sense things happened to fall into place to give us the best chance.

In 2018, I thought our list improved. Having said that different opposition, team mixes and other teams new more about us, we might be hunting, but they respected and were hunting us to. Some new teams were on the rise while others were slipping and our run in 2017 also took into account a bit of window timing for other teams as well IMO. I thought we were never very strong favourites in 2018 but the fact we won the premiership and won the games we won throughout 2018 made us favourites in many punters eyes. I think we have a even stronger list in 2019 on paper but it all depends on how we gel and how our opposition gels versus us on match day. I said, in past posts in recent years, the Pies were tanking, which may not be true, but they were underachieving based on actual talent and capability. Did it come as a surprise they beat us in 2018 finals to me? No but the way they beat us did a little. Was I anticipating Mason Cox and others to do what they did? No, but unlike some others possibly, I thought it was possible and in the fluid moments to a degree in terms of talent capability, and one almost needs to anticipate for the unexpected and adjust when need be.
Where we perhaps a little complacent in 2018 at the pointy end?? Possibly and in 2019 we might be better from a list perspective, but other teams could well be better to. The bottom line is nobody can take performance and effort for granted and no matter who we play, like some of those games versus Gold Coast, anything is possible, so we have to give it our all and prepare for anything strategically!! We could always get an injury here or something else to upset the applecart!!! So whatever eventuates in 2019, our ability to adapt to face different challenges that will be presented to us is part of the fabric we need achieve the ultimate success we crave!!! So in 2019 and beyond, it should not just be about hunting others but setting ourselves up to deal with new targets and threats we will need to hunt and getting our own backyard right so we are prepared to hunt whatever comes our way when it comes our way, including the unforeseen like the next Mason Cox new and improved version that gets thrown at us!!

Last edited:
We adopted a winning brand of footy that wasn’t taken seriously until after we won the flag , our oppo arrogantly dismissed the prospect of a small forward line wreaking havoc on the biggest stage.
The element of surprise has now disappeared like a fart in the breeze , now we have to best use our resources to execute our game plan better than the copy cats

for me it was just not our time. the dusty and astbury scenario and no answer for big Cox! I think the attitude was there and belief and im sure a couple of players would love their time back again but it just didn't click the way we were hoping and thought it would! lets hope it strengthens our resolve going into next year!

Losing the prelim. with the selected 22 including an injured/sick player is testimony to the (blind?) faith the selectors had in certain players. Dave could easily have been covered by Garth and a 50% fit Dusty could have been replaced by someone. (Lloyd.?) Would we have won? No. Not the way the Pies played in the finals. 2019 is going to be very interesting. We are hunting again, not the hunted, which may suit. How we re-structure our fwd line with Lynch will be fascinating. We have plenty of depth on the list now in all positions. Will the fringe players KMac, Grigg, Castagna, Houli, Broad, retain their spots?

What I remember about 2017 is that the mentality was, play to enjoy your footy, school yard style, play to your ability type of stuff. That just clicked, the group clicked ect. 2018 it was business and expectation. The lessons of 2018 I think will be a massive advantage both football business and expectation wise and to go back to what worked best ect. ect ect ect....ect.....just thinking out loud here, but we certainly have the best list so if they can go back to enjoying it, having each others backs and ignoring expectation then we have a three peat.
I'll let apollo creed explain what mentality we had in 2017....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back